Marlin lever action silenced?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

DrDremel
Senior Silent Operator

Marlin lever action silenced?

Post by DrDremel »

For an all around fun .30 caliber silenced rifle, How about a 30-30 lever action Marlin? I am sure I could work up some good subsonic loads yet still use high velocity for larger game. It would be quiet with no gas loss from the action. And they are cheap as dirt. Anyone with experience?
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Re: Marlin lever action silenced?

Post by bp_968 »

DrDremel wrote:For an all around fun .30 caliber silenced rifle, How about a 30-30 lever action Marlin? I am sure I could work up some good subsonic loads yet still use high velocity for larger game. It would be quiet with no gas loss from the action. And they are cheap as dirt. Anyone with experience?
I was actually thinking about the same thing a few days ago.. 30-30 is a .30 cal projectile right?
-----------------------------

This space for rent.
beerslurpy
Silent But Deadly

Post by beerslurpy »

Yeah, it has similar case capacity to 30 whisper, so there is really no reason you couldnt just reuse all the loads without any risk of too low a powder density. I really doubt the 30 whisper subsonics are using higher pressures than full power 30-30 loads.

And since all the subsonic loads are RNs to begin with, it wouldnt really be a risk to put them in the tube.

Are there any lever guns that have a longer barrel than magazine tube?
[img]http://i14.tinypic.com/3yrj680.jpg[/img]
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

beerslurpy wrote:Yeah, it has similar case capacity to 30 whisper, so there is really no reason you couldnt just reuse all the loads without any risk of too low a powder density. I really doubt the 30 whisper subsonics are using higher pressures than full power 30-30 loads.

And since all the subsonic loads are RNs to begin with, it wouldnt really be a risk to put them in the tube.

Are there any lever guns that have a longer barrel than magazine tube?
Tros can handle that last part with a threaded on extended adapter. I've seen companies do that for some pistols (the sig comes to mind).

Interesting. Lever action 300 whisper!

This space for rent.
DINK
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DINK »

beerslurpy wrote:Yeah, it has similar case capacity to 30 whisper, so there is really no reason you couldnt just reuse all the loads without any risk of too low a powder density.
Have you ever seen a 300 Whisper?!?!? It's nowhere near the capacity of a .30-30!

And round nose bullets DO NOT belong in a tubular magazine! Flat point only.

Please don't hand out reloading suggestions that could get someone hurt.
JEJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by JEJ »

DINK wrote:
beerslurpy wrote:Yeah, it has similar case capacity to 30 whisper, so there is really no reason you couldnt just reuse all the loads without any risk of too low a powder density.
Have you ever seen a 300 Whisper?!?!? It's nowhere near the capacity of a .30-30!

And round nose bullets DO NOT belong in a tubular magazine! Flat point only.

Please don't hand out reloading suggestions that could get someone hurt.
I think that DINK just Dinked you.

Of course DINK, you do know that you can use spire point bullets in tubular Mags.
beerslurpy
Silent But Deadly

Post by beerslurpy »

I have to admit I have never seen a 30 whisper in person. I just assumed it would be a necked out 5.56x45 with a trimmed neck, no? Or did I completely misjudge the size in my head? If not 30 whisper, couldnt we use 7.62x39 subsonic loadings in 30-30?

And regarding bullet shapes, it occurred to me that it was bad advice, but I didnt know what to call the truncated round nose shape that the winchester uses. My point was that their weight distribution and stability would be the same as the round nose bullets that we already use for subsonic loads, so it would be a natural fit.
[img]http://i14.tinypic.com/3yrj680.jpg[/img]
triggerfinger
Silent But Deadly

Post by triggerfinger »

Here's a link to info on RN bullets in tubular mags...
http://nebraskanews.blogspot.com/2005/1 ... r-gun.html

basically, RN okay...pointed not okay.
JEJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by JEJ »

Modern pointed ammo can be used in leaver actions. IF it is designed for use in tubular mags.
http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=198
DINK
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DINK »

Guys;

I have no wish to start a flame war, but on the internet info lasts forever. Twenty years from now some newbie will run a search for 300 Whisper loads and this thread will pop up. I just don't want to see anyone get hurt.

The 300 Whisper is based on the .221 Fireball cartridge, not the .223. The casing itself is very small and uses powder charges in the 8 to 12 grain range. Dumping that small of a powder charge in a .30-30 case will probably stick the bullet in the barrel. I can just imagine some poor guy thinking "Wow, that subsonic load was really quiet! Now let's see how loud it is with regular ammo." Result- kaboom.

And I recall a picture in The American Rifleman of a blown up Ruger .44 magnum carbine in which someone had loaded round nose "silhouette" bullets. The tip of the bullets was pointy enough to set off the whole magazine and blow the gun up in the shooter's hands. Yes, there are special rubber-tip bullets now that supposedly take care of the problem, but generally speaking- flat tip only.

It wouldn't be hard to work up subsonic loads for the .30-30. You just have to be careful when trying to use some other caliber as a comparison.
Barry in IN
Silent Operator

Post by Barry in IN »

Back to original thought:
I think a Marlin levergun might be OK as a suppressor vehicle.
Manually operated, yet fast, action. It would be kinda "stealthy" in that people might never suspect it- which might be fun.

If you wanted less capacity than the .30-30, how about the 30 Herrett? The 30 Herrett is a shortened, reformed 30-30 (reduced case capacity) that was concieved for pistol (Contender) use.
I'd have to look to see how much it was reduced (I'm GUESSING about 20%). If it isn't enough, it may be a good start.
There might be something more suitable, but I think that would be better than the .30-30.

It may be one of the easiest alterations. Having the same case head as the .30-30, it would match the bolt and extractor. The cartridge lifter and stop may have to be modified for the shorter round, and possibly a longer ejector installed, but that's not uncommon work. With the inteest in leverguns, and people rechambering them, you should be able to find someone to do it, although they may not understand why you wanted to go to a "lesser" round!
Shhhhhh
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

A Lever action .44 mag might be a good choice too. The cowboy gun :D
Barry in IN wrote:Back to original thought:
I think a Marlin levergun might be OK as a suppressor vehicle.
Manually operated, yet fast, action. It would be kinda "stealthy" in that people might never suspect it- which might be fun.

If you wanted less capacity than the .30-30, how about the 30 Herrett? The 30 Herrett is a shortened, reformed 30-30 (reduced case capacity) that was concieved for pistol (Contender) use.
I'd have to look to see how much it was reduced (I'm GUESSING about 20%). If it isn't enough, it may be a good start.
There might be something more suitable, but I think that would be better than the .30-30.

It may be one of the easiest alterations. Having the same case head as the .30-30, it would match the bolt and extractor. The cartridge lifter and stop may have to be modified for the shorter round, and possibly a longer ejector installed, but that's not uncommon work. With the inteest in leverguns, and people rechambering them, you should be able to find someone to do it, although they may not understand why you wanted to go to a "lesser" round!

This space for rent.
JEJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by JEJ »

Actually I have been toying with the idea of three lugging a .357/.38 Marlin Lever action. That way you can use your sub gun's can on it, you have the option of subsonic rounds with more mass than a .30 cal, and you have the option of running full magnum loads.
Timbertec
Silent Operator

Lever-action

Post by Timbertec »

They are French (so forgive me)....

http://www.stopsontfm.com/Historique%20ang3.htm

Barry in IN
Silent Operator

Post by Barry in IN »

By the ejection port, that looks to be a 45-70 (M1895).
I've got an 1895, and like tinkering with the 45-70. I saw a website about a year ago with a bunch of light practice loads tested for the 45-70. Most were subsonic.
www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
Hmmmm.
Shhhhhh
Timbertec
Silent Operator

45-70

Post by Timbertec »

Ya, it is listed on the site as a 45-70....
1911pilot
Elite Member

Post by 1911pilot »

I have the Marlin 45-70 and the 35 remington. Both are great guns, super reliable and great for short range hunting. I've shot 3 deer with the 35 and none made it more than 10 yards after a single shot. The 45-70 is a fun round to handload, especially with the Marlin action. Its kinda scary how light factory loads are for the 45-70. I love the idea of suppressing one of the carbines.