Thermal Stuff

Tactical gear.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

1928A1
Silent But Deadly

Thermal Stuff

Post by 1928A1 »

Anybody into thermal here or have access to thermal handhelds? I am thinking of getting one.
07FFL 02 SOT
Debo18
Silent But Deadly

Post by Debo18 »

Yes. We use them at the fire station. Bullards and some other brand. The small ones are nice and light and compact but seem to be hard to read in a fire. The red bullards are nice in that they are easy to use but are a little heavier and bulkier, like a big boxlight. Either one is useless if it is too smoky, hot, or too covered with soot to see. Sometimes in a fire you can have them almost touching your mask and can't make anything out because of the soot/smoke. The cool part is having the transmitter so that the command post can monitor what you see inside. Supposed to work to a few hundred yards.

Debo
"It's the Bill of Rights, not the Bill of Needs"
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Debo18 wrote:Yes. We use them at the fire station. Bullards and some other brand. The small ones are nice and light and compact but seem to be hard to read in a fire. The red bullards are nice in that they are easy to use but are a little heavier and bulkier, like a big boxlight. Either one is useless if it is too smoky, hot, or too covered with soot to see. Sometimes in a fire you can have them almost touching your mask and can't make anything out because of the soot/smoke. The cool part is having the transmitter so that the command post can monitor what you see inside. Supposed to work to a few hundred yards.

Debo
So you can't see what's on the screen but they can see something at the command post? Wouldn't the soot kept it from getting a picture of anything as well? - If works couldn't they up a HUD inside the mask they you could still see from the transmitted signal?
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Debo18
Silent But Deadly

Post by Debo18 »

If works couldn't they up a HUD inside the mask they you could still see from the transmitted signal?
I suppose so. There is not a whole lot of room in those masks. FWIW, if you can't see with your eyes, can't see with a flashlight, and can't see with a TIC (Thermal Imaging Camera) , then we probably shouldn't be in there anyway. In the fire that I referenced, we shouldn't have been in there in the first place (hindsight).

I think that 1928 was talking about stuff like this anyway----

http://www.snipershide.com/ubb/ultimate ... 1;t=004960
"It's the Bill of Rights, not the Bill of Needs"
ak

Re: Thermal Stuff

Post by ak »

I have good one what do you wont to know ?
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Which one? They are not cheap, but for hand-held units, the Raytheon X100XP is nice ($7400).
ak

Post by ak »

renegade wrote:Which one? They are not cheap, but for hand-held units, the Raytheon X100XP is nice ($7400).

If you ask me the Raytheon X100XP is not that good of device and not going to give you special advantage unless its special station
I have PhantomIR it was the last of the 2005 models the later models had sacrificed preference to lower the price (for the manufacturer you get only 500 less)
http://idr.janes.com/public/adlink/ads/ ... 'PhantomIR'