Top-Break Revolvers...Disadvantages?

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

cmdecker
Elite Member

Top-Break Revolvers...Disadvantages?

Post by cmdecker »

Have a friend looking at a top-break revolver and he asked me if I knew of any disadvantages of this design. I honestly do not know but thought that I would ask here...Advantages? Disadvantages?
FFL/SOT

AAC, KAC, and SWR Dealer
no4mk1t
Silent But Deadly

Post by no4mk1t »

The advantages are simultaneous ejection/fast reloading, especially on horseback. The disadvantage is this is a 19th Century design and lacks the strength for todays high pressure cartridges. Within its limitations though it was very effective in its day. Do a little research on the .455 Manstopper loading for the British Webley for an education in terminal ballistics.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference.
Harry S. Truman
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

I think they are a cool design myself, they are usually chambered for the .45 Scholfield which is shorter than the Colt cartridge (this is reason you here the term .45 long Colt, to differentiate it from the shorter.45 Scholfield ) and also the .44 Russian I believe.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

There is a modern Russian .357 magnum top break polymer revolver. I don't know if it ever made it to production or if it was too weak or something.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg49-e.htm

It would be awesome if that gun can actually handle that caliber and was for sale.