Monobaffle can - almost done - pics

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

GeneT
Silent But Deadly

Monobaffle can - almost done - pics

Post by GeneT »

Well, here's the monobaffle design I proposed, almost done (just have to drill the mouse holes). I'm not sure the first chamber was clear, so here's a pic with the barrel in place.

GsT
50 BMG Site:
www.hevanet.com/50shooter
GeneT
Silent But Deadly

Post by GeneT »

And the full meal deal. I may add a weight to the stock to get the thing to balance better, but it points well. I think it looks extra long in the pic, perhaps due to the diameter being close to the handguard diameter, or perhaps because the scope is such a short, but it's really not that bad.

GsT
50 BMG Site:
dave22
Silent But Deadly

Post by dave22 »

Very nice work. Looks great.

Only thing that would make it look cooler would be to SBR it, that is a whole new hassle but I had to say it.

I like the way the dia matches the handguard.

I think it will sound great too.

Dave
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

Really nice machine work. I may have to try this design. It has promise.
MCASSgt New River
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCASSgt New River »

Looking forward to a range report in the near future!! :twisted:
LOOKS GOOD!
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'-That is Honor
V8Astro
Silent But Deadly

Post by V8Astro »

That looks great! I plan on building one like that in the future...
Wyatt9k
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wyatt9k »

MCASgt New River wrote:Looking forward to a range report in the near future!! :twisted:
LOOKS GOOD!
yes+vid if u can too
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

Very cool! I've always thought this design would work better in a rifle where you're not constrained so much by the tube size and bore diameter. In other words, you're able to make decent sized chambers and offset them well without running into the bore centerline.

I'm not quite understanding how it attaches to the barrel. Do you have the barrel threaded back under the handgaurd and then turned down to fit into the core? Also, are there mouseholes to the secondary chambers yet?

Good work!!
GeneT
Silent But Deadly

Post by GeneT »

The barrel is threaded just in front of the handguard. Right under the nut / thread protector in this pic:

Mouseholes are going in tonight and that'll be it.

Saturday will be my earliest opportunity for a range test, and if it's quiet enough on the range I'll do a video as well.

GsT
50 BMG Site:
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

How is the weight compared to a factory model of same length

That thing is begging for a bipod :twisted:
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Post by chingon »

Nice
GeneT
Silent But Deadly

Post by GeneT »

wolf wrote:How is the weight compared to a factory model of same length

That thing is begging for a bipod :twisted:
I haven't got a clue. I'll weigh it when it's done, but I don't have a 'factory' weight to compare it to. This is my first can.

GsT
50 BMG Site:
SP95

Post by SP95 »

Looks real good I will be interested in your results. Something that might extend the life of your blast chamber and possibly help suppression would be to mill a muzzle brake into the barrel which would be pretty hard to do(mainly crowning the barrel), but you could cut the barrel back and thread it and buy or make a muzzle brake the same diameter of the barrel. Just a thought.
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

Groovy, thanks for sharing that. I'm sure it's going to sound pretty good!
GeneT
Silent But Deadly

Post by GeneT »

Well it's 'done' - unless there are baffle strikes or something like that. Right now the can weighs 4.25 lbs (heavier than I would have guessed, but balance has a lot to do with it). Mouseholes are cut 5/16" such that they meet the bore in a figure 8. The very first partial radius got a straight hole. I contemplated one of the 'whistle cuts' Conqueror showed in another thread, but the arrangement was such that it wouldn't work here.

The execution went according to plan, the final bit satisfies me in terms of looks (although the markings could look a lot better) and I certainly hope that a big can like this will be effective, but will have to wait until Saturday to find out.

Range report coming when I 'can'. :twisted:

GsT
50 BMG Site:
GeneT
Silent But Deadly

Post by GeneT »

Crap! Sorry, forgot the image I meant to attach. Hopefully this, coupled with the others will adequately describe what I've done.

GsT
50 BMG Site:
JFettig
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JFettig »

What was your method of cutting all the holes?

Did you just drop a great big end mill down in there, or did you bore them or use smaller end mills and a cnc or..?

Jon
GeneT
Silent But Deadly

Post by GeneT »

Just 'dropped' a big ol' endmill through them. Running about 40 rpm.

GsT
50 BMG Site:
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

That's one beefy silencer.
RIP Dave. You will be missed.
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

be sure to get a range video when you go :)
What kind of michine did you use.
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Great job......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
Trex
Silent But Deadly

Post by Trex »

Looking good Gene but I have never seen anything with the muzzle that close to the blast baffle. I had imagined the muzzle being further back. I dont know if this will have any effect on accuracy or muzzle erosion over the long term. I suppose only testing and time will tell - but am keen to see the result accuracy wise.

I was thinking if it did fling bullets over the place (so to speak) then you could maybe cut the first baffle in a similar manner to the SAK rimfire, the first baffle wall has a slot cut right across it removing the borehole. I dont have mine to hand but this can be seen in the Invisible Scarecrows video. The other option would maybe to drill through the threaded mount end and enlarge the hole to the maximum possible allowed by the mounting threads. the SAK approach seems less bother. I'm assuming the barrel cannot be cut back due to becoming SBR?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zesohoN98 ... annel_page

Always nice to see another Silencer born and I hope that testing goes well for you - probably the case that the above will not an issue, more a comment and thought than anything else.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Gene, that is a sweet job. I hope it performs to your expectations, and I'll bet it will.

As for a muzzle close to the blast chamber, mine darned hear hangs into it, and FRP is very low. I'm not sure what effect those oblong annular spaces will have on either side aft of the barrel muzzle... they could work great, or the volume may contribute to FRP. 300 whisper, correct? Is this the first centerfire staggered-chamber monocore built?

Don't mean to be a nitpicky jerk, but is there a big burr on the muzzle of tthe barrel? Maybe it's a trick of lighting, and there is in fact a target crown there!
GeneT
Silent But Deadly

Post by GeneT »

Why you nitpicky jerk! :D Yes, that is a big ol' burr. I bunged the crown pretty neatly shortly after I built the rifle and tried to remedy it in rather sleazy fashion with hand tools, resulting in the burr. So it needs a re-crowning, just haven't done it yet.

Yep it's 300 Whisper (or 300-221).

Trex I can lop off another 1/2" without going SBR, but I probably wouldn't do more than 3/8". (I like to leave no doubt...)

Off to load for the maiden voyage...

GsT
50 BMG Site:
Casca
Silent Operator

Post by Casca »

looks great - can't wait for the range report!

Where did you get the 300 barrel/upper?