Surefire vs AAC Lawsuit?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Doink67
Silent But Deadly

Post by Doink67 »

Kevin/AAC wrote:They have a lot of smart guys in their light dept.
but not in their silencer dept
[quote="Blaubart"]I'd love to screw with a boss like yours Steve.[/quote]
Flanntastic

Post by Flanntastic »

seems all you can makers are lawsuit happy, cough, cough
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

Kevin/AAC wrote:They have a lot of smart guys in their light dept.
Too bad the suppressor guys aren't very bright.
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Not to go off topic, but didn't Surefire have a sub-forum here but never post? :roll:
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Shame, I liked when Surefire came to the AAC shoots. They let me play with their cans and even supplied some of the ammo I shot. I doubt they will ever attend again.

This does call into question the way that AAC invites every manufacturer to the Shoot. Obviously if you are ripping up their cans on the internet and in print, they will be disinclined to attend.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Conqueror wrote:Shame, I liked when Surefire came to the AAC shoots. They let me play with their cans and even supplied some of the ammo I shot. I doubt they will ever attend again.

This does call into question the way that AAC invites every manufacturer to the Shoot. Obviously if you are ripping up their cans on the internet and in print, they will be disinclined to attend.
It makes no difference.

Even befoer the shoot silencer companies really couldn't get along.

That's why they won't all get together and do DB ratings.

Others have to do it for them.......
NFAtalk.org
MisterWilson
Silent But Deadly

Post by MisterWilson »

:?
Last edited by MisterWilson on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your Mom.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

The AAC haters are easy to spot:

When AAC sued someone to uphold their reputation, AAC were made out to be the bad guys.

When Surefire sued AAC to uphold their reputation, somehow AAC are still the bad guys.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

One would hope all Surefire would need to do would be produce a better product than AAC to beat them in sales despite AAC's ads. At the very least, they could try to counter with ads of their own. Going straight to court seems uncool to me.
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

Conqueror wrote:The AAC haters are easy to spot:

When AAC sued someone to uphold their reputation, AAC were made out to be the bad guys.

When Surefire sued AAC to uphold their reputation, somehow AAC are still the bad guys.
I don't know that that is true. I have no real opinion on the Surefire lawsuit (although it doesn't surprise me a bit and I thought it was kind of inevitable), but I think suing someone over forum posts is pretty silly.

I still like AAC products and recommend them all the time, and would be buying an M42K today if I was starting my SBR/suppressor host gun from scratch.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
noiseless
Silent But Deadly

Post by noiseless »

"If the truth is on your side, argue facts, if not, argue procedure"
[b]Sharp Knives and Quiet Guns[/b]

Inside Sales - Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

I've seen the pic and could tell immediately that the silencer on the right had not been fired and the silencer on the right had not been fired. Not being an expert on who makes what, I could never tell you that one was AAC and the other was not. I am all about Form 1 homemade silencers.

I think that AAC should have used a picture of both sets of internals without one being fired to the point of failure. For me it would have been a slam dunk as the AAC welds appear to be far superior to the spot welded process.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
DRW1006
Silent But Deadly

Post by DRW1006 »

SF = GREAT lights.

AAC = GREAT Silencers.

Guess where I stand in this?
If I won't say it to your face, I promise I won't type it to you on this forum.
Why a silencer? So I don't wake up the kids when I shoot an intruder.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

April 13, 2009

SureFire LLC denied Preliminary Injunction against AAC.

SureFire LLC had filed a lawsuit claiming false advertising, by way of the Lanham Act.

A United States District Judge denied their motion for a Preliminary Injunction. Here are some quotes:

Whether The Statements Were Deceptive – Per the above reasoning, the Court finds that SureFire has not shown a likelihood that it will succeed on this element of the claim. Because SureFire has not successfully demonstrated a likelihood that AAC's advertisement was deceptive, it is unnecessary to consider this element of the Lanham Act.

The Court again reiterates that SureFire has not made a strong showing that the advertisement contains false statements, the advertising misleads consumers, or that it will suffer injury as a result of the advertisement.

The Court finds that SureFire has not shown a robust likelihood of success...

Here is the full document:

http://www.silencertalk.com/docs/SF.PDF
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

:D
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

Cool. :D
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
dfire
Silent But Deadly

Post by dfire »

Ha HA !!! Sweet !
Don't look at me with that tone of voice !
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Does this mean you'll start runnning the ad again?
NFAtalk.org
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I think we should move on to feature other things like pistol suppressors.
Raines/762-SD
Silent But Deadly

Post by Raines/762-SD »

Sweet, now recoup you're lawyers fees from Surefire, and put it into the black box, so we can all get one of those bad mofo's..
LSU Football National Champs
1908, 1958, 2003, 2007
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Just finished the ruling document. It seems that the ruling depends heavily on whether Surefire could prove that the pictured silencer was identifiable as its own. The judge says "no" but I don't think it's nearly so clear-cut. I and numerous others here and on other websites were immediately able to identify it as a Surefire silencer, and other photos Robert has posted of the defunct core make it clear that the photo was not hybridized and is, in fact, both a Surefire tube and a Surefire core.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
Raines/762-SD
Silent But Deadly

Post by Raines/762-SD »

Conqueror wrote:Just finished the ruling document. It seems that the ruling depends heavily on whether Surefire could prove that the pictured silencer was identifiable as its own. The judge says "no" but I don't think it's nearly so clear-cut. I and numerous others here and on other websites were immediately able to identify it as a Surefire silencer, and other photos Robert has posted of the defunct core make it clear that the photo was not hybridized and is, in fact, both a Surefire tube and a Surefire core.
to me it sounds more like its known that its a surefire can, but that AAC is trying to bend facts in their favor for marketing..
LSU Football National Champs
1908, 1958, 2003, 2007
noiseless
Silent But Deadly

Post by noiseless »

Good
[b]Sharp Knives and Quiet Guns[/b]

Inside Sales - Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

No. Page 6, line 16.

"The Court Finds that AAC's alleged statements were not literally false on their face [with or without knowing if it was SureFire] or by necessary implication [if it was known as SureFire]."

Page 7, line 15.

"However, SureFire fails to provide evidence that the advertisement's implicit messages are false."

This is independent of who the "competitive" suppressor is.

ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Conqueror wrote:Just finished the ruling document. It seems that the ruling depends heavily on whether Surefire could prove that the pictured silencer was identifiable as its own. The judge says "no" but I don't think it's nearly so clear-cut. I and numerous others here and on other websites were immediately able to identify it as a Surefire silencer, and other photos Robert has posted of the defunct core make it clear that the photo was not hybridized and is, in fact, both a Surefire tube and a Surefire core.

"However, SureFire fails to provide evidence that the advertisement's implicit messages are false."
NFAtalk.org