Fake silencer conversion?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

LOWRIDER60

Fake silencer conversion?

Post by LOWRIDER60 »

Has anyone taken one of the FAKE silencers that were threaded and had them bored out and threaded for an endcap? It seems like a good idea for a starting point as the hole should be properly bored with the threads from end to end.
Tiloke
Silent Operator

Post by Tiloke »

Except for not really.

Typical fake suppressors have at least a quarter inch gap all the way around the barrel. The thread jobs done only need to be good enough for that, not good enough for a real suppressor.
jmorris
Silent But Deadly

Post by jmorris »

It might work if you machined a mandrel and bored it out to make sure it was true. I would start from scratch at that point. You would also need a form 1 in hand before you acquired the fake can, to not break the law, if you intended to proceed with your idea.
GeneT
Silent But Deadly

Post by GeneT »

The hard part isn't threading a tube and mating to a barrel it's getting the baffle(s) aligned. Given that, I don't think I'd bother.

GsT
50 BMG Site:
www.hevanet.com/50shooter
silentshooter308

Post by silentshooter308 »

Heres an idea..I have one of the .223 mock suppressors and have been thinking of machineing it into a monolithic baffle and just getting a piece of tubing to cover the baffle and weld at both ends or thread the tube over the baffle..It is already threaded 1/2 X 28 and I think this would be a quick easy build..
Just a thought...................SS
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I'd wonder about the internal bore diameter of the fake can and whether or not it was concentric to the bore of the barrel. It may work, just not well, and not be worth the $200 tax stamp.

Now, if somebody reputable like Tornado Tech. made fake suppressors it might be worth considering. I just haven't handled a fake can that involved either quality materials or workmanship. I know AAC licenses some airsoft stuff, but I don't know if that would be acceptable for the project (never seen/handled one). You'd have to talk to Robert about that.
RX7-2nr
Silent But Deadly

Post by RX7-2nr »

itd depend on how the fake can was made. if it was just a chunk of 1.5" Al rod, with a 1/2" hole drilled through- youd have to bore it out to get enough room inside for expansion chambers. more trouble than its worth.

if you could find a fake can that had significant volume inside, it might be worth taking a look, but like the other guy said- youd have to have form 1 in hand before you did anything.
silentshooter308

Post by silentshooter308 »

The fakey I have is solid aluminum and when screwed onto my AR the bore in the fakey lines up perfectly with the rifle bore..It would as simple as cutting it into a monolithic baffle...The bore diameter is basically the same as a .223 suppressor..Simple as drilling the chambers and fitting a tube sleeve over the milled baffle...Should be as effective as the other monolithic baffle suppressors here on the forum..Being aluminum would only make it useful for a 22LR can...But still more effective and easier to build than some of the stuff here(beginners cans) on the forum..

Thats just my opinion and you guys have loads more experience with this than I...I have yet to build a suppressor but have sent my paperwork off and will start on something in the near future...
Take care all......................SS