What do you think of the Ruger LCP .380

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

What do you think of the Ruger LCP .380

Post by stevejobs »

I saw one in the store today and was really impressed with how pocketable it is.

http://www.ruger.com/LCP/index.html

What do you think of these pocket guns (kel-tec, etc.) for ccw? Enough stopping power with HPs?
silent_grizz
Silent But Deadly

Post by silent_grizz »

You actually saw one?!?

I have yet to get my grubby mits on one of those babies. I have my name on a rather long and slow moving waiting list.

I know the early models had some issues that Ruger initiated a recall on. I can't remember specifics but I think it had to do with accidental discharges.

I have not heard anything bad about the post recall guns. I'd be curious. I know Ruger makes awesome revolvers, and I can't imagine the LCP would be bad. I'll be curious to read posts of those who have actually shot this elusive gun!
AAC M4-2000-08
Gemtech Tundra 9mm
Tactical Innovations Stratus .22LR
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

I didn't know it was rare. They had a bunch at a local gun shop that just opened up a few days ago. They had a crap load of mags too, including the DPMS .308 mags which have been extremely hard to find online.
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

I have a Keltec P3AT and I use it for carry some times since ti is easy to throw into the pocket. It at least covers the first rule of gun fighting.

As for Ruger, I think they are douchebags for blatantly coping the s--t out of Keltec's design, that said Keltec should have patented their design.

The small guns in 380 are not some thing you want to shoot much. Even in what I consider a minimum defence caliber they will give a bit of a stinging recoil to some.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

I shot one and liked it. I was out shooting with ome friends, one of whom had just picked up his LCP and was determined to put a couple hundred rounds through it before we left. Shot surprisingly well for such a little gun.

Ruger is in fact a douche bag company.
Snake-eater 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Snake-eater 1 »

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and have put 50 rounds through it, no problems. I have it loaded with Gold Dots at the moment, waiting to try some of the new Hornady Critical Defense ammo--if it feeds ok, that's what I'll be using. The gun serves a need for me, a hideout gun that I can carry unobtrusively into a customer's home. I carry to much stuff in my pockets, so it's in an ankle holster.
"Our drills are bloodless battles,
Our battles are bloody drills."
A saying of the Spartans
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Mongo wrote:I have a Keltec P3AT and I use it for carry some times since ti is easy to throw into the pocket. It at least covers the first rule of gun fighting.

As for Ruger, I think they are douchebags for blatantly coping the s--t out of Keltec's design, that said Keltec should have patented their design.

The small guns in 380 are not some thing you want to shoot much. Even in what I consider a minimum defence caliber they will give a bit of a stinging recoil to some.
This is exactly what I was going to say.

F--k RUGER!

I actually have 2 P3ATs and carry one in my off side pocket all the time for a second or third gun. They are just too easy to conceal and no reason to not have one.

Again, F--k RUGER!
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Do they have a safety? I can't find it in any of the specs.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Yah.

It's between your ears.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Davo5o wrote:Yah.

It's between your ears.
har har har

I take it that's a no.
Muab
Silent But Deadly

Post by Muab »

Davo5o wrote:Yah.

It's between your ears.
s--t! I had no idea my nose was a safety!!
---Something witty that makes me sound smart should be inserted here...
Snake-eater 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Snake-eater 1 »

It's double action only with a heavy trigger pull--that's the safety. No second strike capability either, that's the major thing about the pistol that I don't care for.
"Our drills are bloodless battles,
Our battles are bloody drills."
A saying of the Spartans
gtndrty

Post by gtndrty »

I've been carrying one in my pocket everyday for almost a year, except for the week it was at Ruger for the recall. I just recently added the Crimson Trace laser. I carry it in a Desantis Nemesis. I think it's a good firearm for what it is.
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

I've handled em....felt fine, but I prefer my kel-tec....its the original design and the location for the belt clip on my Kel-Tec allows my to carry it at 4-5 o'clock on my waistband, wearing a shirt and tie!
I simply put the clip between my pants and belt and the gun inside the pants. I can slightly tug my shirt out like you normally would anyways, and noone has ever noticed it. If I dont do this, ANY gun will print thru nice dress slacks! I do usually carry my spare mag in my left pocket with my keys.

I keep Remington Golden Sabers in my P3AT and it gobbles em up all day long with good accuracy.
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

I was going to ask how a DAO gun CAN'T have a second fire opportunity, but I guess it's striker fired right?
Wyatt9k
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wyatt9k »

If you havent already go on Google and type in "Ruger LCP vs Kel Tec P3AT" here is a good link..http://usrange.org/smf/index.php?topic=2780.0 it brings up alot of info/peoples opinions on each of the two and what quit a few people have had experiences with both.When I worked at a gun shop a few months ago I had ordered the Ruger LCP but something came up and I told him I couldnt get it at the moment but im glad I didnt get it b/c from what ive heard kel tec has a tad better trigger pull which makes a big difference to me, and they have a damn good customer service. I went to one of my fav dealers tonight looking for a KT P3AT, he said he has been nothing but back ordered on them but he had one that someone was supposedly going to pick up or something he said if the guy didnt come back he would give me a call, navy/hard chrome w/ belt clip $270. Then another dealer down the road has a hard chrome/black frame which ide like better for $279, im not really into the navy frame all that much. Heres the specs that the person on the link I posted above put on the site.

Kel-Tec P3-AT Dimensions
Weight, no mag: 7.90 oz.
Weight, with empty mag: 8.97 oz.
Loaded Weight, 7 rounds Speer gold-dot HP: 11.36 oz.
Width: .826 in.
Length: 5.137 in.
Height: 3.599 in.

Ruger LCP Dimensions
Weight, no mag: 8.41 oz.
Weight, with empty mag: 9.56 oz.
Loaded Weight, 7 rounds Speer gold-dot HP: 11.95 oz.
Width: .813 in.
Length: 5.167 in.
Height: 3.640 in.
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

silent_grizz wrote:You actually saw one?!?

I have yet to get my grubby mits on one of those babies. I have my name on a rather long and slow moving waiting list.
I bought one today. I see you're in Washington. If you want one now this place has 3 more in stock:

The Gun Zone. 16120 SE 82nd Drive, Clackamas, Oregon. 503-889-6298

Price was $330, new in box. They didn't have any .380 ammo and two other places I checked were also out. Bummer, I haven't been able to shoot it yet.
1911pilot
Elite Member

Post by 1911pilot »

Thanks for the link Wyatt. So it looks like the LCP is a refined Keltec, changed just enough to discourage an easy lawsuit. That was the feeling I had when I saw them both at shot in 08.
Of course Shot 08 was when I decided that ruger could suck my balls because they told me that they would only sell their new tactical precision rifle to LEO on dept letterhead because civilians shouldn't have them. F--k ruger.

The .380 I'm lusting after now is the Sig Mustang.
Colt 1911: The original point and click interface.
silent_grizz
Silent But Deadly

Post by silent_grizz »

stevejobs wrote:
silent_grizz wrote:You actually saw one?!?

I bought one today. I see you're in Washington. If you want one now this place has 3 more in stock:

The Gun Zone. 16120 SE 82nd Drive, Clackamas, Oregon. 503-889-6298

Price was $330, new in box. They didn't have any .380 ammo and two other places I checked were also out. Bummer, I haven't been able to shoot it yet.
Thanks for the info. I'll keep waiting, I have already paid for the one I am waiting for.. Let us know how it shoots
AAC M4-2000-08
Gemtech Tundra 9mm
Tactical Innovations Stratus .22LR
Wyatt9k
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wyatt9k »

ur welcome 1911
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Finally found some ammo and took it shooting today. To sum up in one word: Ouch.

My friend's .44 magnum is more comfortable to shoot than this gun. I have large hands, maybe that is why. My index finger was raw after the first shot and it only got worse from there. Raw under the first joint where it touches the trigger guard. After one mag I was dreading loading another. I shot my Glock 20 right afterwards and bam, it went off before I meant it to because the trigger is so much lighter. The Glock 20 was far more comfortable to shoot.

No jams or anything. The gun is what it is, the ultimate in concealed carry. Packs a pretty good punch for it's size. But I'm not going to practice with the thing.

YMMV.
Wyatt9k
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wyatt9k »

lol, i feel that way sometimes after 1 mag, im like ahh F--k it, try a hogue handall jr. or some bicycle inner tube at walmart and cut it to fit. ive read reviews on the inner tube and people say it is an excellent grip for mouseguns like that with a hard bite.
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Thanks. I think if I tape up that finger joint it will be ok to practice with. I still think it's a good gun and will carry it. For plinking, lets just say I would choose a desert eagle over this gun. Hell, I would choose dental work before I chose this gun for plinking.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Damn you all must have some girly hands. I shoot one in both hands at the same time without even thinking about it. I'll shoot 50-100rds no problem. You all need to spank the monkey more often and get those dick skinners toughened up! :lol:
Wyatt9k
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wyatt9k »

its just that those little darn pistols (kel tecs for the most part) have somewhat sharp jagged grips that dig into your hand every time u shoot. Hey, I beat the hell out my my monkey everyday as you see, and it still is uncomfortable, so cant blame it on that :P