My permit is here.

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

skychaser53
Silent Operator

My permit is here.

Post by skychaser53 »

I pick up my permit in the morning ! ! :D
1911pilot
Elite Member

Post by 1911pilot »

I hope you've got your holsters ready to go! 8)
Colt 1911: The original point and click interface.
JPratt06
Silent But Deadly

Post by JPratt06 »

Got mine recently too. Sent it out the day I turned 21 :-)

Sad thing is that, living on campus and having been summarily disarmed by King George, my permit won't do me much good.
ΜΟΛΩÎ
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

So what are you going to carry?
Brian HHI 7265
Silent But Deadly

Post by Brian HHI 7265 »

Another of the good guys able to defend himself and those around him! I like that!
skychaser53
Silent Operator

Post by skychaser53 »

What am I going to carry ?

A liitle bit of everything lol.. yes seriously..
I went out today. Packing for the first time ! It feels good knowing that I will probably never need it, but I have to ability to defend myself and others if needed. Like the one guy here says. I'd rather die with a gun in my hand than without one 8)

Today. I used a Colt 38 snubnose.. Getting the feel of it on my belt :) Felt great! I have a 9mm also..
In the morning I'm taking some an introductory IDPA course. yehaww!! lol That will show me how to hit moving targets.. Helps you stay alive too 8)
My Colt 1911 45 be going with me... I plan on carrying it regularly also..

thanks guys ...
Brian HHI 7265
Silent But Deadly

Post by Brian HHI 7265 »

Sky, Carry whatever you want, but allow me to suggest something...

If you decide on one gun platform, you'll do far better after a time. What I mean by this is when you practice, if for instance you decide on a 1911, every 1911 will feel the same and controls will be in a familiar location. It may not mean much to you now, but after time the muscle memory takes over and you won't even need to use sights out to a substantial distance. Change from one type of gun to another and you can never really develop that "oneness" because grip angles, triggers, most everything is different when you change model of handgun.

The reason that is important is accuracy is important sure, but only tactical accuracy. The second person to put his bullet in the kill zone of a flesh target in a 2 person gunfight gets no medal. Speed is very important when engaging a target, assuming Tactical accuracy is there. Using "one" gun after a time ensures you can achieve amazing speed and accuracy. The goal is to progress to the point where the gun is part of you, and that's easier to achieve when only using "one gun".

Assuming the 1911 again, one can train with a full size 1911 in .45ACP and/or use a .22 conversion unit, then go to the small 1911 for carry and all of the training carries over. It builds on itself. I use the 1911 for the example, but other guns have .22 conversions for training and other guns have small versions for carry- I'm thinking Glock, though I don't use the Glock family of guns, and if you like a 1911 you probably won't care for the feel of a Glock either. I wrote that last bit for others.
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Brian HHI 7265 wrote:If you decide on one gun platform, you'll do far better after a time...
Totally agree. That's why I have 5 glocks. G27 for carry, G20 is my full size gun, G22 with HPs stays in a bedroom safe (less penetration than G20, safer for others in the house), G19 and G17 with an Evo 9. Plan on having an AA .22 conversion for G19 if I can ever find one, and use it with an Element as well.

You learn one glock, you've learned them all. From maintenance to shooting. They all operate the same, they all feel the same. Problems are easier to diagnose. Accessories are somewhat interchangeable.

I've been shooting more without the sights, and my draw and shoot is way faster. I have more shots on target in less time if I don't use the sights. I'm not saying don't practice with the sights, but I practice more now without them. You can actually get pretty accurate if you practice a lot.

Now when it comes to long guns, anything goes. Because I always use the sights. ARs, shotguns, bolt, get them all. But with handguns, keep the family the same. I just got a Ruger LCP that is noticeably different then a glock and my shots are off. It also kicks like a mother. I'll probably just use it as a last resort when I cannot take my G27.
skychaser53
Silent Operator

Post by skychaser53 »

I won't be using the 9mm for CCW.I'm going to be carrying the 1911. The 38 will be for when I need a SMALL gun.. THere were no revolvers there today. 30 people wanted clips with lots of ammo 8)
Like you guys said.
One platform... I heard that mentioned today at the IDPA shoot... :) They talked about practice and muscle memory also. I had a heck of a time with my Blackhawk holster.Finding the release with my finger.. Lost about 3 seconds.. I was nervous, my first shoot .. lol. I will get some practice in to fix that issue .
I had a fantastic day. Bang bang double tap :D I didn't have any trouble with accuarcy. not bad at all.. .. First time I ever did anything like this though...I have been shooting a pistol since I was 12 on and off. My parents bought me a Colt Match Target 22 for my 19th B-Day. Still shooting it..
I could write for an hour about all the different things you do in IDPA . It is GREAT !!
I recommend everyone does some IDPA shooting. This will teach you where your weaknesses are . It puts you in real life situations. If you haven't practiced drawing your gun from a holster and shooting 2 to 5 bad guys with a timer running and adrenaline pumping , you are missing a lot . :D
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

I shot my first match today as well. There is a picture in my thread in the "Gun talk" forum.
skychaser53
Silent Operator

Post by skychaser53 »

Brian and Steve. Lots of good info you gave me above. Practice Practice Practice. Once I get the feel of that new holster everything will go lots better. The trainer recommended that soon as I clear the holster , I get the the barrel on Target. that way I can fire from my side if I have too and I'm lining everything up as my arm goes out.
There lots of times I didn't even take time to line up the sights. Sometimes I just put my eyes on the target and when the barrel gets there I shoot. I think I was able to do this because in my backyard I would take time precision shooting and then I would dump a mag at the target to see how good my rapid fire was.
The majority of the guns were Glocks. I know why. no lost time for saftey release lol A couple Colts (yeehaw) and a couple para ordances in my group.

Paras have a serious issue with their factory mags jamming.. The instructor uses. I think he said Triple K mags with Para, no jams..
Did I mention I had a great day ? lol
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

quit being a pussy and open carry.
NFAtalk.org
Brian HHI 7265
Silent But Deadly

Post by Brian HHI 7265 »

Sky, It's OK to wipe the safety off when you're on target but still getting into position, that's the best I can describe it. I rest my thumb on the safety, and it happens so fast I don't even know I'm doing it. Same with putting the safety on, it's automatic and I never even have to think about it. Then my thumb is at rest, back on top of the safety, ready to press it down.

In practice, and after getting it down automatically, the Glock is no faster.

I've been meaning to do IDPA. Maybe this season.
nauss
Silent But Deadly

Post by nauss »

carry in to pick it up...see if they mind.

Just kidding....enjoy
Doctors accidentally KILL MORE people a year than all gun accidents in the USA. Take that Michael Moore
skychaser53
Silent Operator

Post by skychaser53 »

I just bought a Springfield sub compact 9mm , I love it ! The 45 is nice, real nice for shooting IDPA, but I like the smaller , easier to conceal sub. and it's FAST out of the xd holster. I'm ready for Matt Dillon lol.. I'm going to the gun show in the morning and pick me up some defensive ammo. What do you guys carry ? Hydra shock or Frangilble ?

edit.
the best thing I like about the XD is no safety to release, out of the holster and bang.. The safety is built in to the trigger and grip.
Brian HHI 7265
Silent But Deadly

Post by Brian HHI 7265 »

Small carry guns are really good IMO, you'll have it with you and not leave it behind. I don't know if the sub-compact is a 1911 variant or an XD, so the following may not pertain. Just be sure to keep your finger off of the trigger until you want it to go off. No matter what you carry it's still about training, not technology when it comes to the operator. Possibly even more so with guns that have the safety built into the trigger.

Re: ammo... My carry guns are in .45 ACP, so that's what I've tested. What I'm about to tell you may or not be valid for the 9mm. Too, I have 3" barrels and not all .45 bullets expand out of the short barrel. I like the Federal expanding FMJ and the hydrashok, both in the lightweight 165gr bullet version. Another good one is the Speer Gold Dot for short barrels. Cor-Bon fodder was good too and in the real world will either be a magnifcent stopper or a dismal failure- it really came apart when fired into water jugs. Since I don't want to be one of the statistics, should I ever need to use a handgun for the intended purpose, I'm staying away from the Cor-Bon because it is so very explosive. Of all the ammo I tested, the Cor-Bon by far had the highest recoil level. I didn't chrono the ammo, but I'd be willing to bet the velocity was right up there too.

If there is a possibility of the target wearing heavy clothing definitely go with the expanding FMJ as there is no HP to fill with cloth and it still has huge expansion. There is another bullet design just recently out that has an already filled HP yet still expands, but I haven't tested it. Neither can I remember the brand. I just checked the latest Am. Rifleman, the new stuff is Hornady Critical Defense. That's all I know about it.
Last edited by Brian HHI 7265 on Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
skychaser53
Silent Operator

Post by skychaser53 »

Brian,

You hit it on the button. I'll always have it with me because it is small and easily concealed. The 45 I was talking about was my Colt Govt 1911 5 in barrel. I shot it at an introductory IDPA shoot. I love it ! but it is larger than I want to carry every day. I want to shoot a few IDPA's with it, then try the 9mm.

For Christmas . I let my wife know that she can have the nine mm if I get the XD sub compact 45 :D

The ammo I got this morning was +p hydra shock. The +P is not too powerful for the 9mm XD sub is it ? Don't plan on target shooting with it. Just for defense.