AAC M4-2000 Phantom Flash Hider - 5 port vs 6 port?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

M40A5

AAC M4-2000 Phantom Flash Hider - 5 port vs 6 port?

Post by M40A5 »

I purchased an M4-2000 earlier this year and it came with a 5 port / 5 prong Phantom flash hider. I recently purchased two more M4-2000 Phantom's and noticed they now have 6 ports and 6 prongs. The 5 port model has ports that are noticeably slanted to deflect gas at an angle. The 6 port model does not have slanted ports.

What is the difference? Which one is the current issue?

Thanks,
Jarret
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The slants are designed to keep the flash hider tight as they provide torque.

Both kill all flash on normal barrels. The 6 straight ports is a better choice for 9-10 inch barrels and is the latest after testing 35+ variations.

I could measure no difference in performance for barrels 11+ inches. On barrels 10 inches and shorter, and with certain high-flash ammo, the best of the other configureations would sometimes (like once out of 20 shots) have some flash while the 6-port did not.

I am fairly certain that there is no AR15 flash hider better than the 6-port AAC. In fact, even people without silencers should get them. YHM does not offer this configuration directly as it was developed with and for AAC.
M40A5

Post by M40A5 »

Thanks Robert. I assume the 6 port will not degrade accuracy on a 18" precision SPR Mk12 setup?

Are the below steps still the recommended install procedure?

- clean shoulder and threads of barrel with a solvent to completely remove all oil and grease
- thoroughly clean and dry threads on inside of AAC flash hider with solvent
- apply 1 drop of ROCKSETT to the muzzle threads
- torque AAC flash hider between 20-30 ft-lbs
- allow ROCKSETT to cure overnight before firing

20 to 30 ft-lbs is a large torque range. Is there a more specific recommendation?

Thanks,
Jarret
SWATH
Silent But Deadly

Post by SWATH »

Anyone know how the SOPMOD stacks up to other flash suppressors?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

SWATH wrote:Anyone know how the SOPMOD stacks up to other flash suppressors?
It is my #1 favorite choice for 14.5 and longer barrels as I always use the can anyway, and it makes the OAL sorter with the can on.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

M40A5 wrote: 20 to 30 ft-lbs is a large torque range. Is there a more specific recommendation?
Less than 20 is not enough, and more than 30 is too much. The range is wide because there is no way to know which setting in that range is best for you. It also depends on how much Rockset you use, how well you degrease the flash hider and threads, etc.
SWATH
Silent But Deadly

Post by SWATH »

rsilvers wrote:
SWATH wrote:Anyone know how the SOPMOD stacks up to other flash suppressors?
It is my #1 favorite choice for 14.5 and longer barrels as I always use the can anyway, and it makes the OAL sorter with the can on.
Thanks Robert,
I bought mine for the same reason. I meant how well does it stack up regarding flash suppression. Is it similiar to the phantom or at least the A2. I have not had a chance to shoot it at night.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Worse than the full size one, better than an A2. I did not answer because I never tested it.
ColoradoPacker
Silent But Deadly

Post by ColoradoPacker »

rsilvers wrote:
M40A5 wrote: 20 to 30 ft-lbs is a large torque range. Is there a more specific recommendation?
Less than 20 is not enough, and more than 30 is too much. The range is wide because there is no way to know which setting in that range is best for you. It also depends on how much Rockset you use, how well you degrease the flash hider and threads, etc.
Mine was just right at 25 ft-lbs. The rockset also spread out really nicely with one drop after everything was degreased. I haven't shot it with the SOPMOD yet, but I have hoped it would be as good as my vortex was.
Silent But Deadly

Post by #93 »

Not trying to hijack the thread but what makes flash hiders work in the first place? I read once that they allow too much air to mix with the burning gasses essentially creating a fuel/air ratio that is to lean to continue burning.

Can anyone confirm or deny this theory or explain, mechanically, what makes a flash hider work. Or is it some sort of dark voodoo supernatural secrete that no one quite understands.
Master_Blaster

Post by Master_Blaster »

#93 wrote:Not trying to hijack the thread but what makes flash hiders work in the first place? I read once that they allow too much air to mix with the burning gasses essentially creating a fuel/air ratio that is to lean to continue burning.

Can anyone confirm or deny this theory or explain, mechanically, what makes a flash hider work. Or is it some sort of dark voodoo supernatural secrete that no one quite understands.
In a word: turbulence
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

how did you guys torque your flashiders, my M42000 i used an open end wrench and just guessed ,not good i know

but now i have a torque wrench and a 5/8 or 7/8 crows foot so my next job wont be as shitty