unregistered NFA gun ?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

L34A1
Silent Operator

Post by L34A1 »

nayo wrote:yes you can still regester it. you can still buy them only full auto where baned in 1986. dissasemble the weapon then regester it on a form 1. and no they are not junk they work very well one of my buddies has two of them and they have never let him down.
ANY STREETSWEEPER OR MACHINE GUN THAT WAS NOT REGISTERED BEFORE IT WAS BANNED IS CONTRABAND AND MUST BE DESTROYED PER BATF SPECIFICATIONS.
1986 WAS THE MACHINE GUN BAN
1994 STREETSWEEPER WAS ADDED TO THE NFA DIRECTORY.

Nayo, there was a guy who competed at Palm Bay a few years back but is now in the gray bar hotel. He was caught in a sting operation for trying to buy an unregistered Striker 12 in Broward county.

THE WEAPON MUST BE DESTROYED FIRST by a qualified individual AND THEN THE PARTS CAN BE SOLD OFF AS SCRAP
delmccormick
Silent But Deadly

Post by delmccormick »

dcmdon wrote:He is, very simply, WRONG.

Here is the link: http://ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&Q=294486&dpsNav=|

Here is the text:

I am selling a gun to a friend. How do I do this, and is there any paperwork involved?

If you are selling a handgun, the purchaser must have a Connecticut State Pistol Permit, Eligibility Certificate, or be a sworn Police Officer. You must call the toll free Gun Sale Authorization line at (888) 335-8438 and obtain an authorization number. The State forms DPS-67, and DPS-3 must be completed. If you are selling a long gun, the purchaser must fill out the DPS-67 and wait 14 days before the firearm can be transferred. After the waiting period, the DPS-3 must also be completed. If the purchaser possesses a valid CT. Pistol Permit, Connecticut Hunting License, or is a sworn Police Officer or an active member of the U.S. armed forces, the waiting period and paperwork requirement is waived. In both cases, the seller must keep a copy of all related paperwork for 5 years.
Holy s--t!

Process in MT - Trade money for gun. Seller goes to buy different gun, buyer goes shooting.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

L34A1 wrote:ANY STREETSWEEPER OR MACHINE GUN THAT WAS NOT REGISTERED BEFORE IT WAS BANNED IS CONTRABAND AND MUST BE DESTROYED PER BATF SPECIFICATIONS.
1986 WAS THE MACHINE GUN BAN
1994 STREETSWEEPER WAS ADDED TO THE NFA DIRECTORY.

Nayo, there was a guy who competed at Palm Bay a few years back but is now in the gray bar hotel. He was caught in a sting operation for trying to buy an unregistered Striker 12 in Broward county.

THE WEAPON MUST BE DESTROYED FIRST by a qualified individual AND THEN THE PARTS CAN BE SOLD OFF AS SCRAP
Good grief. It's a destructive device because it's a non-sporting firearm with a bore diameter greater than half an inch. Pull the barrel off and how big is the bore diameter?

Toss the barrel, register the gun, get a new barrel. Problem solved.
T78m6b
Silent But Deadly

Post by T78m6b »

While we're on the topic of shotguns here,....what's anyone's opinion on Benelli? thinking about getting one, yea OR nea? Quality OR POS? also, does Benelli make any kind of Tactical SBS?
L34A1
Silent Operator

Post by L34A1 »

Diomed wrote: Good grief. It's a destructive device because it's a non-sporting firearm with a bore diameter greater than half an inch. Pull the barrel off and how big is the bore diameter?

Toss the barrel, register the gun, get a new barrel. Problem solved.
Let me get this straight. You are stating that you can register a contraband weapon by just changing the barrel? What form would you use and what would you register it as?

I misspoke above on the Striker 12 date. May 2001 was the NFA deadline
stymie
Silent But Deadly

Post by stymie »

T78m6b wrote:While we're on the topic of shotguns here,....what's anyone's opinion on Benelli? thinking about getting one, yea OR nea? Quality OR POS? also, does Benelli make any kind of Tactical SBS?
I've had a Benelli Entry model for several years. I bought a Tactical & installed a 14" bbl after my Form 1 was approved.

SWEEEEET!!!

The lighter you keep these inertia cycled weapons, the better. If you don't load them up with a ton of crap like side saddles, lights, lasers & other dead weight, you can shoot light tactical loads with ease. These guns usually require a 200rd break-in & like to be wet lubed. The pistol gripped stock & receiver with ghost ring sights is the way to go.
"My GOD can kick your god's ass!"
T78m6b
Silent But Deadly

Post by T78m6b »

stymie wrote:
T78m6b wrote:While we're on the topic of shotguns here,....what's anyone's opinion on Benelli? thinking about getting one, yea OR nea? Quality OR POS? also, does Benelli make any kind of Tactical SBS?
I've had a Benelli Entry model for several years. I bought a Tactical & installed a 14" bbl after my Form 1 was approved.

SWEEEEET!!!

The lighter you keep these inertia cycled weapons, the better. If you don't load them up with a ton of crap like side saddles, lights, lasers & other dead weight, you can shoot light tactical loads with ease. These guns usually require a 200rd break-in & like to be wet lubed. The pistol gripped stock & receiver with ghost ring sights is the way to go.

You got a pic? or know where one is? Can't seem to find one....
stymie
Silent But Deadly

Post by stymie »

Here's a pic...

:twisted:

Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

L34A1 wrote:Let me get this straight. You are stating that you can register a contraband weapon by just changing the barrel? What form would you use and what would you register it as?
No, I said you can remove and discard the barrel and the resulting firearm is not contraband. If you wanted to re-barrel it, it would need to be registered as a destructive device.
L34A1
Silent Operator

Post by L34A1 »

Diomed wrote:
L34A1 wrote:Let me get this straight. You are stating that you can register a contraband weapon by just changing the barrel? What form would you use and what would you register it as?
No, I said you can remove and discard the barrel and the resulting firearm is not contraband. If you wanted to re-barrel it, it would need to be registered as a destructive device.
Please educate my ignorance. Can you show me where BATF states I can do that?
T78m6b
Silent But Deadly

Post by T78m6b »

Sweet..Stymie...Very Sweet...

so you buy the barrel, and then have to register as a SBS?
L34A1
Silent Operator

Post by L34A1 »

T78m6b wrote:Sweet..Stymie...Very Sweet...

You register the gun first and it must be approved before you are in possession of the barrel.
T78m6b
Silent But Deadly

Post by T78m6b »

Aren't the stamps on a SBS ..$5 ?
L34A1
Silent Operator

Post by L34A1 »

AOW are $5 and SBS's are $200
stymie
Silent But Deadly

Post by stymie »

L34A1 wrote:
T78m6b wrote:Sweet..Stymie...Very Sweet...

You register the gun first and it must be approved before you are in possession of the barrel.
Yes, DO NOT have the short bbl in your possession OR control prior to approval.

There have been some changes to the M1 Super 90 Tactical's receiver over the years & not all ENTRY barrels will fit. Bear this in mind when you hunt a shorty bbl down. You might need to contact Benelli to get the serial # cutoff to avoid trial & ERROR.
T78m6b
Silent But Deadly

Post by T78m6b »

SBS's are $200..? Crooks... It's been awhile, I thought SBS's would come under AOW's, I think they did at one time, could be mistaken though
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

T78m6b wrote:SBS's are $200..? Crooks... It's been awhile, I thought SBS's would come under AOW's, I think they did at one time, could be mistaken though
This was never the case. AOWs were $200 originally, then the Handi Rifle got a special 1$ tax, then they made AOWs 5$
Bear in mind this is just for transfers. To make an AOW yourself it's still $200.
Edit: That was not entirely correct:
The $1 tax was applied to 12" and 15" barrel Marble's Game Getter Gun in 1938 (the 18" barrel model was administratively removed from purview of the NFA in 1939 because it was not deemed concealable), and extended to a single-barrel pistol with a barrel at least 12" in length such as the smooth bore H&R Handy-Gun in 1945. The transfer tax on all other AOWs was $200 until the Congress changed the transfer tax to $5 for all AOWs in 1960.
Despite Congress' actions to lessen the restrictions on AOWs that were deemed to have "legitimate uses,"with a single exception, no AOW that was commercially manufactured in the United States in 1934 was ever commercially manufactured here again. The single exception---the Model 1921 Marble's Game Getter Gun---ceased production in 1942. It is an excellent case study of how firearms the Congress arguably did NOT intend to ban, wound up being essentially banned anyway.
"You'll put yer eye out with that thing"

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
dcmdon
Silent But Deadly

Post by dcmdon »

I've got a benelli SBE II that I use as a duck gun.

Great gun, and as a lefty its nice to have a left handed gun for ducking.
In contrast to an AR with its itty bitty pieces of brass. Which a southpaw can not even see if he tries, those big 3 1/2 inch hulls are a pain in the ass shooting across your face.

My SBE was broken in hard with old 2 3/4 inch lead duck shells. She now is able to handle everything from 3 1/2 heavi-shot magnums to 2 3/4" walmart cheapies. I know that some guys have trouble with the cheapies not cycling the action.

Overall, I love the benelli. Only complaint I have is that I once had the bolt handle fly off. I'm not sure if I didnt properly insert it after cleaning the gun, but I bought an extra and always keep it in my (floating) gun case.

Don
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

L34A1 wrote:Please educate my ignorance. Can you show me where BATF states I can do that?
Disingenuousness aside, it doesn't work like that, but I'm sure you know that. But hey, under a sufficiently strict interpretation most everything is unlawful in this business.

Use some discretion and bring the item into compliance.
L34A1
Silent Operator

Post by L34A1 »

That's what I thought. :?
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Love cutting up those unregistered Solothurns, huh?
L34A1
Silent Operator

Post by L34A1 »

:?:
twckxbzd

Post by twckxbzd »

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardw ... tter33.txt

that's the letter that i found with the striker 12 you have to remove the cylinder as well.
the letter was written during the ban so it was not legal to f1 it and rebuild it as a DD. i guess the only way to know would be to try and f1 one as a DD.