Krieger barrels

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rockpup
Silent But Deadly

Krieger barrels

Post by rockpup »

Hey guys, been poking around trying to get an idea where I want to get a new barrel from. The current leader seems to be Krieger, a few of the 600+ yard AR-15 shooters swear by them, and they also offer fitting of your current upper/etc to the new barrel, a bonus in my book.

Does anyone else have suggestions for precision AR-15 work?

My current rig is a RRA varment thats been a bit abused, and modified piecemeal. Looking to find someone to square things away so it shoots better then I can :)
seeya
Jim
caver101
Silent But Deadly

Post by caver101 »

Broughton Barrels hands down!!

Talk to GAP about re-barreling your existing rifle with a Broughton barrel. You WILL be pleased.
jwitt

Post by jwitt »

We've had pretty good luck with Kriegers but Broughtons are certainly excellent barrels.

Jason
http://www.jtacsupply.com
gunslingerdoc
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunslingerdoc »

Kreigers are tough to beat - I have a few. If theyre not shooting 1/2 moa or less either there's a problem or I have my head someplace else. Having said that I was once talked into using a White Oak turned compass lake chambered Wilson SPR barrel (Jason at Jtac was the guilty one) and it shoots as good as my Kreigers and better than most with handloads. I was shocked that a barrel costing 30-40% less would perform this well. Even thought it was a fluke until a buddy bought a clone of my upper from Jason and its an under 1/2 moa gun as well.

I havent shot it past 300yards, but it hangs with my kreiger barrelled uppers out that far with out any trouble.

Jason is a good guy and can build you whatever you want with anyones barrel. Hes less expensive than most, reachable by phone and email (a rarity these days) and he'll treat you well - he alway has me.
Smooth is fast
rockpup
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockpup »

On an ar-15 how much better is it to send the upper out to get the barrel changed then to do it yourself? I know bolt guns have alot of bits to be trued up, but is the only bit that would be mated going to be the locking lugs for the bolt?

Just curious.

Getting some 60 grain Black Hills v-max stuff in next week, and I am hoping to get some 280 yard tests in with this rifle this weekend. I am trying to see what it would take to tighten up the longer shots with what I have before I change out barrels/send parts off.

Thanks!
Jim
gunslingerdoc
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunslingerdoc »

Changing a barrel out is easy. Hell, building an AR or an upper is easy. Building one that's a sub 1 MOA gun isnt very hard, building one that's .75 moa doable for most. Now building one that's shoots around .5 moa or less requires skills/know how. It takes me starting from quality parts about 3 hours to build a great upper. I have tools, have lots of spares, and Ive been building AR's for 15 years. I know from trial and error what matters what doesnt and more importantly the tricks one learns from having an upper assembled with great parts that shoots like a jennings 22, how to fix them (damn that's a run-on sentence).

I'll be the first to admit that the average Joe with $100 in tools (or less) and an internet guide can do pretty well if starting with quality parts. Having said that, Ive taken uppers that were 'built' by 'dealers' on arfcom that didnt shoot well (and should have, based on the parts used) and rebuilt them - resulting in 1.5 moa guns shooting around .5-.7 moa. This in my opinion is what youre paying for. If you do it and there's a problem are you gunna have the spares to swap parts out? Do you have the tools to fix an upper that's threaded crocked? Have you seen problem X before and do you have an idea what it takes to fix it?

When you figure that most dealers seem to charge only a few bucks ($50-100, if that) over that cost of the parts alone, I think its worth it.

To give you an idea, Jason has built my last 2 uppers and I didnt have to screw with them. Hell, I remember teaching Jason tricks when we first met. Now if I have a weird problem or Im too lazy to look some dimension up I cant remember, I call him!

Think of it this way - I could install new brake pads on my truck, but the guy at brakes-r-us does it every day all day - he's better at it. He's certainly better at it when things dont follow the book....

So IMO, if I can get someone to save me some hassle or Headache (whether its Jason or not) Im more than willing to let them do it.
Smooth is fast
altav
Elite Member

Post by altav »

The only barrels that have out shot my Krieger’s are my Lilja's - you can't go wrong with either.