bunnies

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade

c_bass16
Silent But Deadly

Post by c_bass16 »

My cousin and I putting the hurt on some Easter Bunnies. Easter Eve 1995 or so. This is just what was running around the house. When you put in $3-5k in trees each spring and you have this many lil critters hitting every branch on the way up, in every tree grove you put in...its a call for action...and still fun today.

Hurdle the dead, Trample the weak, and let the good times roll.
c_bass16
Silent But Deadly

Post by c_bass16 »

steve7478 wrote:The rabbits would look great painted. Maybe I will just keep one hopper in the freezer.
As someone that has killed rabbits with paint before...i can tel you that they dont need to be frozen. one shot will stun them enough to finish the job, but any shot to the head inside of 40-50m will most likely turn it to mush
Hurdle the dead, Trample the weak, and let the good times roll.
jbabb
Silent But Deadly

Post by jbabb »

SERE school + rabbit = delicious aggression relief 8)
Bits
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bits »

cdmillig wrote:You might could try scents. Soap shavings did terrific with deer when I tried it. I imagine it would work similarly with rabbits.
A friend of mine told me today that he uses garlic, seems to work.
Incoming fire has right of way.
Rgray
Elite Member

Post by Rgray »

Bits wrote:
cdmillig wrote:You might could try scents. Soap shavings did terrific with deer when I tried it. I imagine it would work similarly with rabbits.
A friend of mine told me today that he uses garlic, seems to work.
You can get fertilizer that keeps deer and rabbits away from co-op. Its cheap and it works.

make wooden traps to catch them in front yard.. silent

cook em and eat em
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

I almost had a problem. the neighbor across the street watched as I carried two lifeless bunny bodies into my garage. I harvested them with a crossbow which was slung over my shoulder. which by the way has been working beautifully. I am now on bunny number 9 since I put the garden in. No more are getting into my garden nicknamed the "compound" by my wife.

Anyway she thought I was shooting them in my backyard with a firearm and called the police.

I got a visit by the coolest officer I have ever met. He was more interested in what I was growing and swapping compost recipes that the rabbits. He said to just keep it in the back yard.

I think I am going to fry up the heads and put them on her door mat.
There is an 11 to 17 minute response time to a 911 call. You can either choose to put effective rounds on target, neutralizing the threat, or try to find a telephone. The person who killed you while you were dialing 911 will have enough time to cook a frozen pizza before the "Badged Historians" show up to draw the chalk line.
c_bass16
Silent But Deadly

Post by c_bass16 »

steve7478 wrote:I think I am going to fry up the heads and put them on her door mat.
This summer we are planning to put the heads on the stakes that sit at the end of each row. should make for an interesting conversation piece for all the dare devil rabbits that care to venture in...

protect your compound well my friend, protect it well.
Bits
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bits »

c_bass16 wrote:This summer we are planning to put the heads on the stakes that sit at the end of each row.
That's the spirit. :twisted:
tuckerrnr1
Silent But Deadly

Post by tuckerrnr1 »

[img]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m264/19283938/kookaid.gif[/img]
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

Bunny # 11 has caused me a little stress. I guess I can not call him # 11 yet because I can not confirm the kill.

I woke up early (for a Saturday) at 7am and went out back to clean the pool filter. as I was stepping off the cedar deck I spotted 2 fuzzy clover redistribution units so I slowly back pedaled into the kitchen to grab my 20 year old Barnett 150 lb crossbow. I loaded in the kitchen and started my stalk from just outside my sliding glass door. The rabbits had moved to the back of the yard just forward of my shed. For every step I took closer to them the were taking one hop away. I was still a good 25 yards away. I squeezed the trigger and the soon after "thud" sound meant that I had scored a hit. It did the normal death roll bounce flop as I was walking up to collect my prize. Then all of a sudden it just took off. 16 inch bolt and all.

I had stuck the critter just forward of the front shoulder straight through the neck. I attempted to load another bolt as the rabbit fled but by the time I had the wounded creature had run under my gate into the front yard and disappeared.

My son and I have gone on several walks around my neighborhood attempting to locate my lost property without success.

Hopefully there aren't any PETA members in the area.

I wonder how well a "lost puppy" style poster with a picture of the frankinrabbit would go over.
There is an 11 to 17 minute response time to a 911 call. You can either choose to put effective rounds on target, neutralizing the threat, or try to find a telephone. The person who killed you while you were dialing 911 will have enough time to cook a frozen pizza before the "Badged Historians" show up to draw the chalk line.
Bits
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bits »

steve7478 wrote:I wonder how well a "lost puppy" style poster with a picture of the frankinrabbit would go over.
"LOST: One 16" bolt, broadhead with plastic fletching. May be attached to bunny. Please discard bunny and return bolt to Steve, 555-7478"
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

lol
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

I have been doing tile at my Dad's house. Nice place that backs up to common ground and a lake. Protecting his garden is a task. It is more of a bait garden. No fence, just a loaded .22 by the window. Zipped two at lunch with my sister spotting for me. She has a Masters and no job, still lives at home and in going on 26. I guess she is the smartest one. She stayed home where everything was free.

I can't count these two notches because they were not at my house. It was still fun to get to use the firearm that introduced me to shooting. My 19 year old Grandfather traded a stack of wood for it in 1942 while taking a break form killing Germans.
Bits
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bits »

I say count 'em ... AFAIK, it doesn't matter where you bagged 'em as long as they're confirmed.

And... take that old .22 with you when you go home. I've got my mom's Savage (the first gun I ever fired), but I had to, uh, correct my brother's misunderstanding over its intended disposition. :P
Attila

Post by Attila »

You could convert your garden to a "Square Foot Garden" (search for the book in Amazon.com). This includes fencing in cubes over the top of 3-foot by 3-foot sections, which makes it hard for bunnies to get in.

Then put out corn for the bunnies to eat, so you have some to shoot and eat.

It would mean no hassle keeping your garden growing, and give you a steady supply of bunny heads for the neighbor lady/busybody.
CanNotHear
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanNotHear »

Rabbit meat is the best for your health when compared to turkey,chicken,beef and pork. Seriously.
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

I don't know if you would call it good or bad that I am the only boy with two younger sisters. Acquiring the family firearms will not be an issue. My dad is more of a tool nut than a gun nut though. There is a Sears Craftsman warehouse in his basement. He doesn't use them for work or anything. He just likes to know he has it. Anything with a gas powered motor gets dropped off at my house after a couple of years when it stops starting. He just goes out and buys a new one. I have gotten pretty good at rebuilding little carbs. I have been acquiring a nice collection of everything Stihl makes.
Meche_03
Silent But Deadly

kill 'em all

Post by Meche_03 »

Steve7478, where about StL are you. My sister lives within the 270 loop.

The rabbit problem this year is the whole reason I am allowed to get a silencer. Rabbits ate all the beans in my garden this spring, 1200 ft^2 of beans :evil: . So I replanted and sprayed everything with a bunny repelent, which lasted for 2 weeks.

I live in a subdivision outside city limits so I am allowed to discharge firearms so when I saw the next one I shot it with a ruger 10/22. Well my Wife was with child and she could not handle the idea of me killing animals infront of the kids and neighbors. She said it was too loud and would make trouble in the burbs and traumatize the children.

So I got a pellet gun, hit 3 of them but none died outright. She felt worse because they did not have a fast death. Now she has mentioned that she will stay out of it but I should try and not scare the neighbors. I suggested a silencer as an option and she seams O.K :twisted: with it. By now they have eaten my 2nd planting all up.

Don't think it will keep the neighbors from being scared of me, I seem to be the only guy that walks the perimeter at dawn and dusk with a jungle hat, side zip boots, and a rifle looking to kill rabbits. The kids are so mentally "scarred" that they spot for me and run to the house to tell me where they saw a rabbit. Got a love them kids. :P
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

West county. The not too gun friendly west county. That is why the 22's have been silent. My dads house backs up to common ground and he is unincorporated so You can shoot there as long as the bullet does not leave your property but you will still get a noise complaint if you piss off the neighbors. I never fire more than one shot.
memfuzz
Silent Operator

Post by memfuzz »

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults

Might try these, should knock them down, and it not, they won't leave a blood trail to the neighbors.
ottosear
Silent But Deadly

Post by ottosear »

steve7478 wrote:I don't know if you would call it good or bad that I am the only boy with two younger sisters. Acquiring the family firearms will not be an issue. My dad is more of a tool nut than a gun nut though. There is a Sears Craftsman warehouse in his basement. He doesn't use them for work or anything. He just likes to know he has it. Anything with a gas powered motor gets dropped off at my house after a couple of years when it stops starting. He just goes out and buys a new one. I have gotten pretty good at rebuilding little carbs. I have been acquiring a nice collection of everything Stihl makes.
Tell Pop to try Sta Bil. It keeps the gas from gumming up. Works GREAT on my Snowmobiles !
THIS is MY safety!
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

If I did that then what would I get for my birthday every year? :D
[cerberus]
Silent But Deadly

Post by [cerberus] »

I wish we had a rabbit population like that here in So Maine. The best I get are the occasional rat that goes after the trash.
Lord_Vulcanizer
Silent Operator

Post by Lord_Vulcanizer »

I like this thread. All I can say is eat some bunny for me dude :) Anyway I like this thread lol keep on takin them hoppers out.

Wes
[img]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o174/Lord_Vulcanizer/banned.jpg[/img]
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

I guess you can say that my bunny season is over. I did not care so much after I got a high enough fence up around the garden. I finished with sixteen confirmed kills and one that took off with my 16 inch bolt. I never heard anything about it from any of the neighbors.

I guess I will know if it lived when one day I am walking out to my car and I get taken out.