300 Whisper bolt gun ???

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

in2b8u
Silent Operator

300 Whisper bolt gun ???

Post by in2b8u »

Thinking of undertaking a 300 whisper bolt gun project.
First will the AAC 762 qd be enough can? 2nd any particular issues with a Mauser action for the build? LH SA Charles Daly mini mauser. I have searched and not found much on the particulars. Before I lay this thing out I would like to have all the ducks in a row. Thanks in advance. db
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people......... I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Should be a good project, any .223 head sized bolt gun should work only problems that may be encountered are ejection of small fired cases.
I know that people with single stack mags (cz I think it was) had to do some modifications to feed larger diameter bullet into the mags.

check out some of the threads on
http://www.quarterbore.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

oh and if you want to just purchase I believer TROS makes a 700 remington conversion with their suppressor.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Barry in IN
Silent Operator

Post by Barry in IN »

I just started thinking about the same thing (300 Whisper bolt gun) myself.
I have a Remington 600 that I had rebarreled to .221 Fireball on a whim 15+ years ago, and have never been completely happy with the accuracy. Changing it to 300 Whisper and adding a can might "save" it.

My questions revolved around finding a .30 caliber can that was small. I wanted to build it as a pretty compact rifle, so wanted to keep the can as small as possible.
I would expect to lose some effectiveness by going with a smaller can, but I wondered if it would really be that bad with the 300 Whisper. My thinking is that most cans seem to be designed around the .308, and the 300 Whisper is/should/could be "easier" to suppress due to less powder gas produced. Or not.

In other words, I'm wondering this- A smaller .30 suppressor that gives poorer performance with a .308- will it be as noticeable/important with a 300 Whisper?
Any opinions there?
Shhhhhh
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Barry in IN wrote:My questions revolved around finding a .30 caliber can that was small. I wanted to build it as a pretty compact rifle, so wanted to keep the can as small as possible.

In other words, I'm wondering this- A smaller .30 suppressor that gives poorer performance with a .308- will it be as noticeable/important with a 300 Whisper?

Any opinions there?
Well I went with AAC Cyclone not for size but due to the fact that you had good sound reduction (Not best per tests) with both Super and Sub sonic rounds - It's a smallish can but weight is up there - if you were shooting only Subsonic I'd think you could build with technology as 9mm as the pressure would be in that range but Super Sonic loads will require a tougher can to stand the pressure. I've been thinking about a threaded 14 inch barrel for my T/C contender in 300 whisper - That could be fun or get custom 16+ barrel for carbine on it. :P

And Yes I agree that the less powder the easier to quiet down the gun all other things being equal.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
TonyT
Silent But Deadly

Post by TonyT »

Check out the .308 results in Silver's table. 308 subsonic results should approximate that of the 300 whisper. I have both a cyclone and one of sound tech's 308 cans for my 300 whispers, and they both do a great job. Supersonically (is that a word?) they are comparable, sounding very much alike with the cylcone being smaller. Subsonic, the Sound tech can has a little more FRP than the cyclone, but is much quieter (subjectively) than the cyclone. (possibly due to volume?) I have also tried various 9mm cans, as well as a Krinkov can, and the only thing that comes close to the cyclone and sound tech can is the Dodge muffler-like AWC MK9.
jreinke

300 Whisper bolt gun ???

Post by jreinke »

Charles Daly no longer sells Mauser actions. The company who supplied them signed a exclusive contract with Remington last year and Remington is only importing complete guns. My suggestion for the action would be to buy a Stevens Model 200, which is nothing more than a Savage Model 11F on a cheaper stock and NO polishing. They retail for $327. Not to mention that barrel swapping will be a breeze do to the Savage barrel nut system.
in2b8u
Silent Operator

Post by in2b8u »

I already have the Mini. Stevens only comes RH. I have a few savages and appreciate their accuracy and frugal entry fee, but I figure that this has the potential to be a great little project. I think the extractor and the really short action will make this a quick accurate little woods weapon. Thanks for the input. db
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people......... I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

I actually talked to Jim Clark about building me a Remington 7615P Pump Action 223 Patrol Rifle, and re-barreling it for 300 whipser, but the action is so loud I figured what was the point? I just wanted the pump action to get the .233 spent case out.

I would love to have a 300 whisper bolt gun, but ultimately EVERY TIME I sat down to do the math an integral 77/44, or DeLilse wins out. Proove me wrong and I'll buy you a steak dinner.

My 18" Savage with AWC Thundertrap and EBR Thumper is the closest thing to silent I have ever heard. It sounds like someone opened a 16" soft drink about 15 feet away after it had been shaken - then you hear a clank a second later.... so there's really no need to waste that can on a different host weapon.

Honestly, I'm about to get my 3rd can - and unless I become wealthy, probably my last for a while.
in2b8u
Silent Operator

Post by in2b8u »

I have an integral 77/44 from srt. You are correct. I am looking for something that has a bit more reach, and accuracy.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

Here's my thought on subsonic ammo in a centerfire rifle - what's the point? A .308 is proven effective in modern combat at 1300 meters, so long as the muzzle blast and flash dont report the shooters position, the supressor did it's job.

Now w/pistols, however, where range is an issue - different story.
Golovko
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Golovko »

GlockandRoll wrote:Here's my thought on subsonic ammo in a centerfire rifle - what's the point? A .308 is proven effective in modern combat at 1300 meters, so long as the muzzle blast and flash dont report the shooters position, the supressor did it's job.

Now w/pistols, however, where range is an issue - different story.
When most people go to the range, they don't bring a supply of live enemy combatants to use as targets. And as it turns out, most paper targets are blind and deaf. But the shooter typically isn't (nor are nearby shooters and spectators), and when one wants to shoot at 200 meters or less with light recoil and without sending supersonic cracks cascading across the landscape, a subsonic cartrige tends to have an advantage over a full-power cartridge.