What kind of light should I put on my mossberg?

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

SteveHH

What kind of light should I put on my mossberg?

Post by SteveHH »

I have a mount already for the rail so I just need a nice bright light...I do not want to spend a fortune though, any suggestions for a noob?

here she is:

-=-Steve-=-
Levittown, PA USA
myspace.com/SteveHH
chevypickle23
Silent Operator

Post by chevypickle23 »

I would put a surefire led forend on there. That way you don't have to worry about breaking bulbs due to recoil.
SteveHH

Post by SteveHH »

do you know which model is the brightest?
-=-Steve-=-
Levittown, PA USA
myspace.com/SteveHH
chevypickle23
Silent Operator

Post by chevypickle23 »

Surefire's led model is 80 lumens. It is pretty bright. Will not kill you on batteries either if you use it a lot. The incandescants are nice but the bulbs break.
Snake-eater 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Snake-eater 1 »

I use an old Insight Technology M3. I have over 500 through the shotgun with the light attached, nothing has ever broken. Replaced the batteries a few times, but that's expected.
"Our drills are bloodless battles,
Our battles are bloody drills."
A saying of the Spartans
SteveHH

Post by SteveHH »

chevypickle23 wrote:Surefire's led model is 80 lumens. It is pretty bright. Will not kill you on batteries either if you use it a lot. The incandescants are nice but the bulbs break.
very true
-=-Steve-=-
Levittown, PA USA
myspace.com/SteveHH
SteveHH

Post by SteveHH »

Snake-eater 1 wrote:I use an old Insight Technology M3. I have over 500 through the shotgun with the light attached, nothing has ever broken. Replaced the batteries a few times, but that's expected.
Sounds like a winner...

Where did you get the mounts for it? not the rail the weaver rings....if that is what is needed....this if my first tac shotgun?
-=-Steve-=-
Levittown, PA USA
myspace.com/SteveHH
nwcid
Silent But Deadly

Post by nwcid »

SteveHH wrote:do you know which model is the brightest?

Hell Fighter at 3000 lumens.

If you are talking about forends, http://www.surefire.com/Mossberg590500
SteveHH

Post by SteveHH »

nwcid wrote:
SteveHH wrote:do you know which model is the brightest?

Hell Fighter at 3000 lumens.

If you are talking about forends, http://www.surefire.com/Mossberg590500
hmmm maybe overkill, I got a surefire on their now that is plenty bright. :D
-=-Steve-=-
Levittown, PA USA
myspace.com/SteveHH
hedonistic
Silent But Deadly

Post by hedonistic »

I think the fake can with the rail on the end of a pistolgrip shotgun screams MALL NINJA
Islam is an intolerant, oppressive, social, political, governmental institution that preaches hatred and murder it was created by a man who married a six year old child.
Syntax360
Silent But Deadly

Post by Syntax360 »

I like Fenix lights - I have a Tk10 on my 590 and it's going strong. You could use a $20 tape switch to activate it, but I'm with hedonistic - I'd lose the fake can thing. There is a company that makes a picatinny adapter that mounts via the heatshield - it allows you to mount a light at the offset 10 o'clock position using any light and mount. I paid something like $15 for mine... I'll try to post pics and contact info for the company that makes them later.
hedonistic
Silent But Deadly

Post by hedonistic »

First choice money no object the sure fire other than that cheap 1" rings and a light here [url] http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/ ... tegory.941 is a good place to look for inexpensive lights. Fenix lights age great but a simple on off sure fire type works just as well on a weapon there inexpensive 6p type lights by cabellas and sportsmans warehouse.
Islam is an intolerant, oppressive, social, political, governmental institution that preaches hatred and murder it was created by a man who married a six year old child.
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

Fenix TK series is the best bang for your buck IMO.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
trey_phish83
Silent But Deadly

Post by trey_phish83 »

flashlight?
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
hedonistic
Silent But Deadly

Post by hedonistic »

You need to offset the light from the bayonet and black tape is more tacticool then the mexichrome approach. Other than that fantastic job, B+ :wink:
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Streamlight TLR-1 on the forend. Cheap, light, ambi control, no wires. I have a 500a with a railed forend, magpul AFG with TLR1 in front and absolutely love the setup
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Re:

Post by Bowen1911 »

trey_phish83 wrote:flashlight?
the best solutions are often the coolest

duct tape for example....
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
Jerry-R

Re: What kind of light should I put on my mossberg?

Post by Jerry-R »

I like the TLR-1 - bright. white, LED and small. That's what I have on the 11-87:

NRA Endowment Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"
phoenix
Silent But Deadly

Post by phoenix »

if your local sams club still has these i reccommend them.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/produ ... 1#shipping

serengeti LED flashlights. i bought nearly 10 2pks for a friend and bought a 2 pack for myself. theyre GREAT lights. battery life isnt that good but they have 3 positions settings. 50% 100% and flashing strobe. takes 3AAA batteries and is only slightly larger than a roll of quarters.

if i can find a good mount id put it on my 500 tactical (i took off the strap and shell holder and kept the stock and pistolgrip. no tacticoolness here!!)
-Kyle

JHS27275: "When you throw down the gauntlet, don't be surprised if someone picks it up and slaps the s--t out of you with it."
DEVIL DOC
Silent But Deadly

Post by DEVIL DOC »

Accessories that cost more than the weapon=faulty thinking= epic failure
GoJohnnyGo
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoJohnnyGo »

I hear the fleshlights are pretty bright? :D

http://www.fleshlight.com/build-your-ow ... 3191468774
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

DEVIL DOC wrote:Accessories that cost more than the weapon=faulty thinking= epic failure
*Note: Optics exempt.
hedonistic
Silent But Deadly

Post by hedonistic »

Twinsen wrote:
DEVIL DOC wrote:Accessories that cost more than the weapon=faulty thinking= epic failure
I have got to agree with you there, and some times you get a killer deal on a used gun or simply use an old action for a sniper rifle build, a good barrel and a McMillan stock and you are there. Then there is the mossy 500 I paid 170ish for one I put a stock and a mesa side saddle and then I was in it more than I paid for the gun; Add a sling and Burris fast fire and now it has almost 2x the money spent on add ons.
There are many shotguns out there and when it comes to comparing pumps you will never convince me that a Mossberg, Winchester, FN, Remington, Benelli are vastly different and one is so much better it makes all the others obsolete. Not until you get in to cheap imported garbage in pump shot guns is there really a world of difference.
That said if I had it to do over again I'd use a left handed 870 as a base gun.
DEVIL DOC
Silent But Deadly

Post by DEVIL DOC »

I don't really count the optics as a true accessory due to the fact it may be "needed" or taken from an already exhisting but used up platform. My optics are the heart of my weapons therefore no corners are cut, no expense was spared. If you need a scope on a shotgun you might as well hand the weapon to your mom
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I say just get the nice surefire forend. A friend has one, and it makes me jealous.
hedonistic wrote:
Twinsen wrote:
I have got to agree with you there, and some times you get a killer deal on a used gun or simply use an old action for a sniper rifle build, a good barrel and a McMillan stock and you are there. Then there is the mossy 500 I paid 170ish for one I put a stock and a mesa side saddle and then I was in it more than I paid for the gun; Add a sling and Burris fast fire and now it has almost 2x the money spent on add ons.
There are many shotguns out there and when it comes to comparing pumps you will never convince me that a Mossberg, Winchester, FN, Remington, Benelli are vastly different and one is so much better it makes all the others obsolete. Not until you get in to cheap imported garbage in pump shot guns is there really a world of difference.
That said if I had it to do over again I'd use a left handed 870 as a base gun.
To futher hijack, I agree. Although I wish there was a lefty Benelli Supernova, a lefty 870 is a fantastic thing. I've never used a lefty pump, but the ejection port is on the wrong side of pumps. It'd be great to be able to load without having to reach around the gun.

I've got 2 10/22's with optics, so that right there is 2 guns with optics that cost more than the guns they are on.

Also, in California, I bet I go well over the price of a Remmy 700 with my optics. I can't have semi auto, so I'm gonna probably have a super short action in .223 and a short in .308 and put really nice optics on them both. Big Leupy stuff, maybe do night vision. Time will tell what lots of time, lots of money, and lots of boredom do to me. I've decided to spend money on nothing but a couple rifles, a shotgun, and NFA stuff that will have to stay home in the safe until I make my return to sanity.