outback cleaning

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Texas'shooten

outback cleaning

Post by Texas'shooten »

My first suppressor is needing to be cleaned. I have the p22 with outback II and i do love it hoyever, I have followed the directions on carbon killer but still feel it is not getting the job done. should i just not worry about it or leave it in there overnight or try something else. For ammo I am using remington sub-sonic works great. I just think the pistol is getting louder ?
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

If your sure the carbon killer is safe for aluminum leave it in over night or a few days, let it drain and slap it good against your other hand to help loosen any remaining carbon, sometimes unburned powder globs up and needs help getting out.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Post by MicroGuy »

What makes you say it's not working?? I mean, are you experiencing symptoms of some sort?

Look into using a "Water-Pik" tooth/gum cleaning system. I bought one and modified one of the "piks" so I can stick it down the opening of my can and blast the carbon out of there. And it works great.

Messy as hell. I have to use it inside a big plastic bag. But it works great. Just blasts little flakes of carbon out of there.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville
Texas'shooten

Post by Texas'shooten »

I will try the water pic idea. As a nubie to suppressors and the endless waiting I did not want to mistakely bring problems to the first can. I hope to add another can soon but wanted to get others ideas. As I do not know and the instructions that came with it were limited. thanks :)
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

If it's getting louder, something is amiss. How many rounds have you put through the can?

You should be able to put a couple cases of ammo through it before it becomes noticably louder.
Texas'shooten

Post by Texas'shooten »

To be fair 300 or so rounds without a good cleaning I am going to pull it out of the carbon killer when I get home today just to be sure it is clean. I shoot 20 or so rounds a night through it. still working on a wooden backstop in the garage :lol: as my yard has no fence :wink:
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

It shouldn't be getting louder. It should be getting slightly quieter, silencers tend to mellow a little bit once they have a baseline coating of crap in them.
digitspaw
Silent Operator

Post by digitspaw »

Diomed wrote:It shouldn't be getting louder. It should be getting slightly quieter, silencers tend to mellow a little bit once they have a baseline coating of crap in them.
Agreed. Some carbon is desirable and actually helps with noise attenuation.
The nemesis of sealed .22LR cans is LEADING. If your blast baffle is completely fouled with lead, you're going to notice your host becoming louder. But, 300 rounds in ridiculous. Your can should just be getting to the 'broken in' point by now.

I have an Odyssey II that has about 1K through it and I don't consider it to be at the cleaning stage yet. It's still getting quieter.

I see that the OP is planning on getting another can. He should seriously consider a can that can be disassembled if it's going to be another .22LR suppressor.
If the OP is going for a centerfire can. such as a .223, be sure not to fire any .22LR ammo through it. Sure, it will work real well, but you'll void your factory warranty if the manufacturer finds any signs of leading.

Just my 2 cents.

Paw

I have a perfect body. It's in the trunk and starting to stink.

NEVADA CCW INSTRUCTOR
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

The outback disassembles pretty easy. Heat it up in an oven for an hour to 500F. Let it cool , squirt oil into it Then screw it on damn tight to your barrel . When you unscrew it it will probably break the loctite loose on the tube threads. Knock the baffles out and clean them. I use a brass bristled brush and a green scrub pad in running water.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter