Remington ACR

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

DEVIL DOC
Silent But Deadly

Post by DEVIL DOC »

Conqueror wrote:I will be in love if they sell the 10.5" to civilians - or at least if their distributors/dealers do.
I believe from what I've read that it uses standard AR-15 barrels and that any compitent gunsmith could fit one. To me that is big medicine, there are alot of barrel makers which gives you an excellent selection from materials, lengths, contour and twist rates. But screw the dumb s--t I'm thinking whisper setup on the quick change, the gas system looks simple enough to shorten provided that it might need it at all :wink: . I'd like to have one before the 2nd coming though :?
gunn24
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunn24 »

Is the lower plastic?
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

DEVIL DOC wrote:
I believe from what I've read that it uses standard AR-15 barrels and that any compitent gunsmith could fit one. To me that is big medicine, there are alot of barrel makers which gives you an excellent selection from materials, lengths, contour and twist rates.
This is why I wanted an ACR/Masada over the SCAR. I've got a deposit down on a SCAR, but like the PS90 CMMG will be the only supplier of short barrels. If the ACR comes to market I would get my deposit back and go with it.
studly do-right
Senior Silent Operator

Post by studly do-right »

gunn24 wrote:Is the lower plastic?
Yeah it is, but the stock is more durable than the SCAR.

Definitely a nice piece and I'd love to own one as well. If I had one suggestion to make it would be for a little more modularity in ergonomic places, especially the grip. But they did an outstanding job with the controls. And, the fact that it uses AR15 barrels is ingenious.
Do not expose to excessive heat, vacuum, blunt trauma, immersion in liquids, disintegration, reintegration, hypersleep, humiliation, sorrow, or harsh language?
DEVIL DOC
Silent But Deadly

Post by DEVIL DOC »

Abiqua14 wrote:
DEVIL DOC wrote:
I believe from what I've read that it uses standard AR-15 barrels and that any compitent gunsmith could fit one. To me that is big medicine, there are alot of barrel makers which gives you an excellent selection from materials, lengths, contour and twist rates.
This is why I wanted an ACR/Masada over the SCAR. I've got a deposit down on a SCAR, but like the PS90 CMMG will be the only supplier of short barrels. If the ACR comes to market I would get my deposit back and go with it.
No s--t right, the charging handle and stock are "almost" instant deal breakers not to mention the baby s--t brown color :( . The ACR is/was supposed to be offered in three colors and three configurations. I feel butt raped thinking about the whole deal, maybe remington will undue the knots of deception, butt hurtness and longing...........maybe :roll:
SWATH
Silent But Deadly

Post by SWATH »

No modular grip on this modular rifle?
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Any new creative guns to the market is a good thing.
NFAtalk.org
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

No belt feeding module on this modular rifle?
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

I hope this does reach us, but read the last sentense in the ad. "Made in USA for GOVERNMENT SALES by the oldest name in firearms and ammunition. That doesn't sound good.

Jeremy
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

They claim they'll be selling the MSR to the public, so maybe they will embrace the unwashed masses on the ACR too.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
Stickman
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stickman »

J Krammes wrote:I hope this does reach us, but read the last sentense in the ad. "Made in USA for GOVERNMENT SALES by the oldest name in firearms and ammunition. That doesn't sound good.

Jeremy

Remington is working the military sales angle, Bushmaster is pushing civilian sales.
Stick

I've done work photography work with 45 or so manufacturers within the firearm community, my images have been used for catalogs, magazines, covers, etc. I have also shot work for the US Military. I am prior service and a full time LEO.

I now also shoot and write for Military Times. My primary focus will stay with weapons, accessories and related equipment reviews. Manufacturers can reach me through any of the boards. Have something new? Let me know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stickgunner
DEVIL DOC
Silent But Deadly

Post by DEVIL DOC »

Stickman wrote:
J Krammes wrote:I hope this does reach us, but read the last sentense in the ad. "Made in USA for GOVERNMENT SALES by the oldest name in firearms and ammunition. That doesn't sound good.

Jeremy

Remington is working the military sales angle, Bushmaster is pushing civilian sales.
How do you know this? Did you read this somewhere? They way I looked at it is Remington would help keep them afloat while Bushmaster is focusing on trying to win a contract. Remington the name alone reaches a larger consumer base, picture "johny bolt-action" going into cabelas grabbing some primers for the firearm sales dept (provided they have them or not) and asking for the new up to date product catalog and noticing something new in the center spread multi-caliber yada-yada. Thats my hopes as I has never been disappointed with their quality let alone performance.
DEVIL DOC
Silent But Deadly

Post by DEVIL DOC »

The mil contract is a fragile concept at best looking at the past history of it, then again I would be nice to keep our tax $ in the country.
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

DEVIL DOC wrote:

How do you know this?[/quote]

Stickman is usually always right when I comes to Magpul stuff.

Also, I don't think they have a prayer in a Military contract. Not with this administration. Lots of cuts...

Jeremy
RR
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RR »

DEVIL DOC wrote:
Stickman wrote:

Jeremy

How do you know this? Did you read this somewhere? They way I looked at it is Remington would help keep them afloat while Bushmaster is focusing on trying to win a contract. Remington the name alone reaches a larger consumer base, picture "johny bolt-action" going into cabelas grabbing some primers for the firearm sales dept (provided they have them or not) and asking for the new up to date product catalog and noticing something new in the center spread multi-caliber yada-yada. Thats my hopes as I has never been disappointed with their quality let alone performance.
I emailed Remington about the ACR and one of the Military Products Division Reps told me the same thing. He also said the Bushmaster version will not be called the ACR.
rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerxd45 »

now i have a 10.3" ar15 SBR but that 10.5 ACR is SEXY i would love to have that
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

Non-reciprocating bolt handle

Hmm... I don't see a forward assist.

Anyone know more?
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

The bolt handle will grab the bolt to help if needed.

Jeremy
DEVIL DOC
Silent But Deadly

Post by DEVIL DOC »

smcharchan wrote:Non-reciprocating bolt handle

Hmm... I don't see a forward assist.

Anyone know more?
It's "almost like a G3 as far as location, it was or can be ambi and it also can function as a forward assist.

Another interesting detail is that the upper would be considered the registered receiver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJhPMIVgF6c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoa-rJkHReM A little more detail
DEVIL DOC
Silent But Deadly

Post by DEVIL DOC »

Get this, I just talked to a customer service agent at bushmaster and he said hopefully in the next few months. He said they where testing finishes at this point for the military variant's barrels so I asked him about the AR barrel compatibilty and he said the barrel he was holding 3 hours ago was different but that an AR barrel could easliy be configured for use in the weapons system. I then asked him about remingtons involvement and he said it was new news to him, last he heard remington had nothing to due with the project. He said the ACR still needs to be scaled to a civilain configuration which won't take long and soon after that available, I posed the question that I was thinking of buying a SCAR but I wanted an ACR would he suggest I wait for it b/c it is nearly finished and he said yes. He stated it is not a question of "if" more of when which should be soon. It is going to be made for the public by bushmaster.
RR
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RR »

DEVIL DOC wrote:Get this, I just talked to a customer service agent at bushmaster and he said hopefully in the next few months. He said they where testing finishes at this point for the military variant's barrels so I asked him about the AR barrel compatibilty and he said the barrel he was holding 3 hours ago was different but that an AR barrel could easliy be configured for use in the weapons system. I then asked him about remingtons involvement and he said it was new news to him, last he heard remington had nothing to due with the project. He said the ACR still needs to be scaled to a civilain configuration which won't take long and soon after that available, I posed the question that I was thinking of buying a SCAR but I wanted an ACR would he suggest I wait for it b/c it is nearly finished and he said yes. He stated it is not a question of "if" more of when which should be soon. It is going to be made for the public by bushmaster.
That's funny because I also asked someone from Bushmaster about the Remington version and he said he didn't know anything about it. :?:
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

J Krammes wrote:"Made in USA for GOVERNMENT SALES by the oldest name in firearms and ammunition.
...Of the people, by the people, for the people.

Sure thing mister, you can sell that to me! :D
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

RR wrote:
DEVIL DOC wrote:Get this, I just talked to a customer service agent at bushmaster and he said hopefully in the next few months. He said they where testing finishes at this point for the military variant's barrels so I asked him about the AR barrel compatibilty and he said the barrel he was holding 3 hours ago was different but that an AR barrel could easliy be configured for use in the weapons system. I then asked him about remingtons involvement and he said it was new news to him, last he heard remington had nothing to due with the project. He said the ACR still needs to be scaled to a civilain configuration which won't take long and soon after that available, I posed the question that I was thinking of buying a SCAR but I wanted an ACR would he suggest I wait for it b/c it is nearly finished and he said yes. He stated it is not a question of "if" more of when which should be soon. It is going to be made for the public by bushmaster.

That's funny because I also asked someone from Bushmaster about the Remington version and he said he didn't know anything about it. :?:
I guess they haven't seen the ad yet. :)

It would be great if anyone can come up with any official info on civilian availability of either the Remington or BM version. I've funds set aside for a SCAR when it finally gets to my dealer and depending on price and timeline I'd rather go with this design.
DEVIL DOC
Silent But Deadly

Post by DEVIL DOC »

Abiqua14 wrote:
RR wrote:

It would be great if anyone can come up with any official info on civilian availability of either the Remington or BM version. I've funds set aside for a SCAR when it finally gets to my dealer and depending on price and timeline I'd rather go with this design.
I was hinted to near the end of this year but it is not a super certain thing, get the SCAR shoot the dog-doo out of it then sell it on Gun broker for like 18k :roll: All seriousness just get it, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

DEVIL DOC wrote:
Abiqua14 wrote:
RR wrote:

I was hinted to near the end of this year but it is not a super certain thing, get the SCAR shoot the dog-doo out of it then sell it on Gun broker for like 18k :roll: All seriousness just get it, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
That's probably the best advice, and the reason I dropped the deposit on the SCAR when it became evident that the ACR might never happen.