308 through a 338 TITAN

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

duey1267
Silent But Deadly

308 through a 338 TITAN

Post by duey1267 »

Has anybody done any testing of 308 through a 338 TITAN?
HONOR
all else

Isaiah 6:8
Nothing is worn under the kilt; it is all in working order;)
TypeR632
Silent But Deadly

Post by TypeR632 »

I'm waiting for a full test on one. Looks like I will have to test it myself at the shoot!
SWR Spectre
SWR TRIDENT
AAC 762SD
AAC TITAN
Ramius
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ramius »

I put about 200 rounds of 308 match through the QD-Titan last month for shits & giggles.

I've been hoping for some free time on the range cause I was planning on taking some fun photos the next time I'm out.

The "lightweight" can is still pretty substantial at the end of a 26" barrel. But as I've got it set up it is very usable even on movers.

I don't think the thread on version (at twice the weight) would be usable in the field, there is just too much weight out front.

I'm waiting on ATF paperwork for my 308 cans, when they are approved I can do side-by-side testing.
TypeR632
Silent But Deadly

Post by TypeR632 »

So the extra money and the higher dB is worth more in the long run? I know the QD model is several ounces lighter. The TiTAN is what I am planning on getting next.
SWR Spectre
SWR TRIDENT
AAC 762SD
AAC TITAN
duey1267
Silent But Deadly

Post by duey1267 »

I am trying to decide if it would be better for me to get a 30 cal can and then be able to use it on a 223 or get the TITAN for use on a 30 cal and then some time in the future hopefully get a 338. Weird logic I know, but I am looking for the most versatility out on my next rifle can.

Anybody from AAC have an opinion??????
HONOR
all else

TypeR632
Silent But Deadly

Post by TypeR632 »

That's what I'm looking for, versatility. My next gun build will be a .338 Lapua. I would love some high res pics of a TiTan setup for my desktop, maybe from the Stickman.
SWR Spectre
SWR TRIDENT
AAC 762SD
AAC TITAN
Ramius
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ramius »

The QD version is a little over 1/2 the weight of the standard Titan, at twice the price.

Weight is a big issue for us cause I have to CARRY THE DAMN RIFLE and trek around with a bunch of guys much younger than me. Try tracking 20 miles on foot with all your gear through irregular terrain. EVERY OUNCE counts :wink:

Borrowing from my friend who's a retired SEAL: Just stay home and play Halo or Ghost Recon if you ever have the urge to get shot at again.

When you take a suppressor and hang it on the end of a long barrel, you want it as light as possible. Our 338 rifles have approx 28" barrels and you don't want all that weight out front unless all you ever do is shoot off a bench.
Fudmottin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fudmottin »

If I knew when I bought my AWC Raider that I would one day want to put the can on a 30 caliber type rifle, I would have bought a 30 caliber can and just used an adaptor for the AR and had any rifle threaded for it in 5/8-24.

If you are going to get a 338 LM, then go for it. The higher DB probably isn't a big deal considering that a 30 caliber is going to make a hell of a racket flying through the air at supersonic. It will still be louder than the muzzle report.

Dakota Longbow + 338 LM can is one hell of a bit of kit.

ETA: What Ramius said.
SWATH
Silent But Deadly

Post by SWATH »

duey1267 wrote:I am trying to decide if it would be better for me to get a 30 cal can and then be able to use it on a 223 or get the TITAN for use on a 30 cal and then some time in the future hopefully get a 338. Weird logic I know, but I am looking for the most versatility out on my next rifle can.

Anybody from AAC have an opinion??????
"Why yes, to get the maximum versatility we recommend purchasing at least one of each of our entire suppressor lineup" :lol:
duey1267
Silent But Deadly

Post by duey1267 »

[quote="SWATH"][quote="duey1267"]I am trying to decide if it would be better for me to get a 30 cal can and then be able to use it on a 223 or get the TITAN for use on a 30 cal and then some time in the future hopefully get a 338. Weird logic I know, but I am looking for the most versatility out on my next rifle can.

Anybody from AAC have an opinion??????[/quote]

"Why yes, to get the maximum versatility we recommend purchasing at least one of each of our entire suppressor lineup" :lol:[/quote]

If only my wallet was that flexible ;)
HONOR
all else

Ramius
Silent But Deadly

My buddy came into town for 2 days so I took him out . . .

Post by Ramius »

Snapped these for you guys . . . If this sells more TiTan I will be expecting a commission check from Kevin :P

Used on a 308

Used on a 338
TypeR632
Silent But Deadly

Post by TypeR632 »

Great photos. If you get a chance snap some side pics to show us. Thanks, Eddie.
SWR Spectre
SWR TRIDENT
AAC 762SD
AAC TITAN
Ramius
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ramius »

The type of photos you guys want to see I need to use a macro lens. I just grabbed a 50mm when we headed out the door so these are the only shots available for now:

Profile Shot Mounted on TRG-42

Shot of the Suppressor Unmounted

Gotta pop smoke to help n00bs read wind . . . :wink:

30 rounds of 338 and 100 more 308 through the tube.
TypeR632
Silent But Deadly

Post by TypeR632 »

Thanks for the pics......
SWR Spectre
SWR TRIDENT
AAC 762SD
AAC TITAN
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

Nice pics... Who did the cammo job? Looks great.

Jeremy
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
jdj
Elite Member

Post by jdj »

beautiful pics... what was your f-stop though, pretty narrow depth of field though. Need to use a tripod with a LONG shutter speed :P

I don't mean to criticize though, beatiful rig and some great (and rare) photos.
Fudmottin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fudmottin »

Looks like F2.8 in low light. F4 at the absolute smallest.
Stickman
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stickman »

TypeR632 wrote:That's what I'm looking for, versatility. My next gun build will be a .338 Lapua. I would love some high res pics of a TiTan setup for my desktop, maybe from the Stickman.

If I had a .338, you would be seeing pictures. :D
Stick

I've done work photography work with 45 or so manufacturers within the firearm community, my images have been used for catalogs, magazines, covers, etc. I have also shot work for the US Military. I am prior service and a full time LEO.

I now also shoot and write for Military Times. My primary focus will stay with weapons, accessories and related equipment reviews. Manufacturers can reach me through any of the boards. Have something new? Let me know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stickgunner
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Ramius
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ramius »

1/1000 at f 1.0 :twisted: that's why the dof is so shallow.

The camo was done freehand, just letting the colors blend in. There are a lot of scuffs and scratches on that TRG rifle. Once the boss gives the okay I'll spray the TRG-22F.

That Ashbury rifle needs to be drug through a wet pasture or two, fed 200 - 500 rounds of full power loads, and hosed off with a garden hose before being put away wet. But I'm sick like that(!)

Nice ruck tho!
TypeR632
Silent But Deadly

Post by TypeR632 »

Stick, you need to buy one!
SWR Spectre
SWR TRIDENT
AAC 762SD
AAC TITAN