Current Form 4 wait time. Is something going on at BATF?

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

goodstuff412

Current Form 4 wait time. Is something going on at BATF?

Post by goodstuff412 »

I have been appproved on 3 form 4's since 2005. They all ranged from 8-12 weeks which is standard. My latest was mailed Jan 24 and was in the "system" effective 17 April. 55 days pending. Is anyone else experiencing abnormally long waiting time. I am wondering if anyone has heard of something going on within the agency that is prolonging the process. Im not suggesting a conspiracy theory, rather a political change in the proverbial tides specific to NFA.
bullyforyou
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Current Form 4 wait time. Is something going on at BATF?

Post by bullyforyou »

goodstuff412 wrote:I have been appproved on 3 form 4's since 2005. They all ranged from 8-12 weeks which is standard. My latest was mailed Jan 24 and was in the "system" effective 17 April. 55 days pending. Is anyone else experiencing abnormally long waiting time. I am wondering if anyone has heard of something going on within the agency that is prolonging the process. Im not suggesting a conspiracy theory, rather a political change in the proverbial tides specific to NFA.
they've had my forms 60 days now on a suppressor, and they haven't even cashed the check...

things are taking dramatically longer now. there haven't been any real changes, excepting people buying mountains of guns, both title i and title ii.
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but... your kidding right? Have you been to any gun stores lately? Have you tried to buy primers or powder? The same people that cleared the shelves at all the sporting goods stores are buying NFA items too, and more of them. I myself have one pending and three more on the way after that. So yes their may be a little bit of a delay compared to what we are used too.

Sorry if I sounded harsh. :wink:
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
assaulter

Post by assaulter »

I've been pending since April 10. It's frustrating to see others get approved when they sent theirs in a month after me.
Snake-eater 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Snake-eater 1 »

Mine (for 2 suppressors) were mailed the first week of January, are currently pending. ATF said FBI is still analyzing fingerprints. So, we're into 5 months now.
"Our drills are bloodless battles,
Our battles are bloody drills."
A saying of the Spartans
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

bullyforyou wrote:
goodstuff412 wrote:I have been appproved on 3 form 4's since 2005. They all ranged from 8-12 weeks which is standard. My latest was mailed Jan 24 and was in the "system" effective 17 April. 55 days pending. Is anyone else experiencing abnormally long waiting time. I am wondering if anyone has heard of something going on within the agency that is prolonging the process. Im not suggesting a conspiracy theory, rather a political change in the proverbial tides specific to NFA.
they've had my forms 60 days now on a suppressor, and they haven't even cashed the check...

things are taking dramatically longer now. there haven't been any real changes, excepting people buying mountains of guns, both title i and title ii.

You need to make some calls. I sent two form 4's and checks in end of may and they were cashed within 3 days.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
crotalus01
Silent But Deadly

Post by crotalus01 »

I submitted paperwork for a machinegun in mid-january, check cashed 1st week of February, went pending in March and approved May 20th.
Remember kids, SALAD is NOT food...salad is what food EATS.
pdemos
Elite Member

Post by pdemos »

Mine all seem to be running just short of 4 months. :cry:
David
Silent But Deadly

Post by David »

You need paperwork for this stuff?

I kid
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

There's some variability on posted return times. Some that are near three months, others stretching to six, it's impossible to make predictions at the moment.

My last one went pending 4/15 and was approved 6/10. I think that's the longest wait I've had.

Since I've got nine transfers going in this month, I am not expecting a quick turnaround. Maybe in time for Christmas?
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

Diomed wrote:There's some variability on posted return times. Some that are near three months, others stretching to six, it's impossible to make predictions at the moment.

My last one went pending 4/15 and was approved 6/10. I think that's the longest wait I've had.

Since I've got nine transfers going in this month, I am not expecting a quick turnaround. Maybe in time for Christmas?
Didnt you just have 9 or 10 come back a few months ago? :shock:
bullyforyou
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bullyforyou »

YugoRPK wrote:
bullyforyou wrote:

You need to make some calls. I sent two form 4's and checks in end of may and they were cashed within 3 days.
typically, my checks have all been cashed within a week of them recieving the forms. there was ONE time though, when i had my forms go pending before the check was cashed (about a month), and i've heard of this happening to other too. i figured it is possible that i've run into the same situation again, just with the added backlog.

though i do intend to call them shortly, ,just to be safe...
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

I went pending on 4-9 for a suppressor on a trust and still nothing, so they are not so fast anymore.

Jeremy
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
mooster1223
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mooster1223 »

My pending 4-15 was approved and at my dealer 4 weeks later. Same time line for the next three. Trust approved by Ted Clutter. THANK YOU Mr. Clutter.

Total time was 3 months.
It's better to ask forgivness than permission
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

yeah.... trust transfer pending 21 APR, still waiting.....

it's weird how some people are getting way faster turnaround times.

I wonder if it has anything to do with how many people are in your trust...

It sucks that they get to see your trust info anyway. They should just have the declaration of trust, and leave it at that. I sent my whole trust in, just to be safe.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

CKOD wrote:Didnt you just have 9 or 10 come back a few months ago? :shock:
Yeah, but they were all through one dealer. These new 'uns are through two. Same examiner though, purely by chance...
bnutriaz
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by bnutriaz »

I had a Form 4 come back the day before yeasterday.

4 long months.

coop
HK MP5
AAC M4-2000
AAC Aviator x2
AAC Pilot x2
AAC Stryker2
AAC Evo .45
AAC Cyclone
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

I would have had mine today, but my address wasn't filled out on the second form... :roll: This was my first transfer, and I just did what the dealer told me to. I will have it next week. It would have been 119 days.

Jeremy
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
digitspaw
Silent Operator

Post by digitspaw »

I had three transfers since the election and each one took about four months.
I have a perfect body. It's in the trunk and starting to stink.

NEVADA CCW INSTRUCTOR
goodstuff412

still waiting

Post by goodstuff412 »

I called my examiner (Barbara Payne) and my prints are still at the FBI. Over six months since I sent in my paperwork. Check was cashed within a week and here I am.....still waiting. WTF? I know these things take time. This is my 4th transfer. But over 6 months......Come on! really?
Fudmottin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fudmottin »

Diomed wrote:
CKOD wrote:Didnt you just have 9 or 10 come back a few months ago? :shock:
Yeah, but they were all through one dealer. These new 'uns are through two. Same examiner though, purely by chance...
If there is only one examiner working there now, what are the odds you would get the same one again? :wink:

I was in a rush earlier this year. But I was in a rush for Form-1 stuff. What I have learned since being here is to slow down, take a breath, and really think things through.

I've not filed any forms yet. But that will happen this month. I expect that my first suppressor project will be something I do over the winter.

I'm not going to worry about the time. I'm getting my end setup. I also need to practice some basic machinist skills before I actually get to making suppressor parts. Don't go taking me for a solipsist though. There can be only one and I am it.

I personally have unknown opportunity cost going into my first can along with a pretty darn well known bill for hobby level machine equipment. Oddly enough, I was trying to save money. The joke is on me. I should have just bought a Cyclone-K.

Then again, now I want many suppressors and now I have the tooling to toss them off as fast as my nonexistent skill allows.

I remember my Form-4 and how long that took. Felt like an eternity. And I knew nothing about NFA other than how to bug my dealer. He must have enjoyed that. In those days, I hung out at his shop. I bought a lot of things I don't need and can't bare to part with.

Now I'm just concentrating on making some more money. Yes, I've been dealing with setting up a trust and other things for NFA toys. So I will certainly be waiting for that wonderful mail back from the NFA branch when I send in my Form-1 paperwork. But I will be thinking about other stuff too.

Little things like my bank balance.
Doc
Silent Operator

Post by Doc »

They cashed my check two days after delivery, but that was in mid-May, so I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully, my form 4 got in there over the hump, and I won't be waiting for another two months.
joshrunkle35
Silent But Deadly

Post by joshrunkle35 »

bullyforyou wrote:
Call them. They always cash the checks within a few days.
Baboon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baboon »

I went pending May 8.
Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.
Delta3-2
Silent Operator

Re: still waiting

Post by Delta3-2 »

goodstuff412 wrote:I called my examiner (Barbara Payne) and my prints are still at the FBI. Over six months since I sent in my paperwork. Check was cashed within a week and here I am.....still waiting. WTF? I know these things take time. This is my 4th transfer. But over 6 months......Come on! really?
Isn't it something how they can cash your check so quickly ? They don't delay THAT portion of the procedure, do they ?