K-BAFFLE & MONO CORE

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

tat007

K-BAFFLE & MONO CORE

Post by tat007 »

Before starting the form1 process, I would like to make sure which baffle design should I design for .22 suppressor between K-BAFFLE and MONO CORE.

I will hire the local lathe to done it by cnc. So, the production process was not my work. Just only the design and blueprint that they required after approved the form1.

Please recomend which design is better performance?
" Hearing Protection "
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Both or either, depending on how you do it. The AAC Prodigy is a monocore, and ultra performance. The AAC Element is K-baffle, and ultra performance. There are also very poor performing mono cores and K-baffles.
tat007

Post by tat007 »

Which one is easy to start for the first suppressor design?
" Hearing Protection "
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

K baffles are probably more foolproof than designing a good monocore.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
Paledaddy
Elite Member

Post by Paledaddy »

Conqueror wrote:K baffles are probably more foolproof than designing a good monocore.
+1 on that.. IF you check the step by step K baffel thred you cant go to much wrong in the process of making one..

Pd
[b]Bas Rutten[/b] [quote]" I'm sorry Sir..... BANG ! BANG ! BANG !... No I'm not. "[/quote]
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Also if you make a mistake on a monocore there is a lot more scrap.
tat007

Dimension of K-Baffle for .22LR

Post by tat007 »

After saw the K-Baffle step thread, I decide to run my first can with K-Baffle.

The main tube that I decided was Aluminum 6061-T6 Tube (1"OD x .065"WALL x .870"). Then what OD of K-Baffle should I done?

My design is 6 of K-Baffle as same as normally commercial can. How can I estimated the length of each baffle and overall of the suppressor?
" Hearing Protection "
Fudmottin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fudmottin »

I don't know how much smaller than the ID you want to go. But you should find that your high school geometry and trigonometry will let you compute the length of a baffle.

Example.

One inch ID tube with 60 degree cone inside:

1/2 of 60 is 30.
A 30-60 right triangle will have a height of 1/2, length of 0.866 and hypotenuse of 1 (unit radius circle).

Add the thickness of the disc to that and you have the length of the K baffle.

You can scale by the factor of your actual ID.
Golf_1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Golf_1911 »

I like Monolithic Core.
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

mono core is a pain in the a$$ to make. I dont realy see any benifit from making a monocore. look at the time it takes to make it compared to any other baffles. degree of dificulty is extreme even with high tech tools. some of the simple monocores I have seen over the years are no better than flat baffles.
I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Unless you have access to some kick ass equipiment the mono core is going to be heavy compared the the k baffle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
akraven

Post by akraven »

If its a Form 1 my understanding is you can't legally hire them to make it for you unless they are a licensed manufacture.
Fudmottin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fudmottin »

If someone else makes it for you, I think it goes on a Form-4 anyway.

I'm sure there are ways around it. But I wouldn't risk any of them no matter how unlikely it may be to get busted.
Whitelightnin

Post by Whitelightnin »

If you are physically there with your approved form 1 while the work is being done, you're legal. If they can't get it all done in one day, you can't leave any suppressor parts there when you leave.
midcountygunshop
Silent Operator

Post by midcountygunshop »

Whitelightnin wrote:If you are physically there with your approved form 1 while the work is being done, you're legal. If they can't get it all done in one day, you can't leave any suppressor parts there when you leave.
That was the way it was explained to me when I asked the ATF about subcontracting out some of my work. Only way around that(and the only way us manufactures can do) would be a class 2 subing out to another class 2. When that happens, both class 2 manufacturers must mark the business names and info on the serial numbered part, unless a variance is granted by the ATF. I can't even send out a tube to have engraved if it has been machined in any way. To send it to be engraved it must be a raw piece of tube, not so much as trimmed to length. If you are standing there while they machine your parts for a form 1, you are still the builder and they are just assisting you.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

The reason I went monocore for .22LR is maintenance. K-baffles sliding in a tube... won't, after about 500 rounds.

Monocores can be "hung" on the endcap(s), leaving annular space and allowing easy removal and bead blasting, whatever you need.