how to change your address on NFA items

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

how to change your address on NFA items

Post by rogerxd45 »

ok so i am probably moving here soon and i was wondering about how to change the address

the state that im moving to does allow all the NFA items im planing on taking

im taking a ar-15 SBR , a 22lr suppressor and a mossberg 14" AOW

any advice would be great
jhs27275
Silent But Deadly

Post by jhs27275 »

You have to notify ATF in writing of the new address. You are supposed to advise them of the new address prior to the move.
ncsu90
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncsu90 »

When I called about a change of address for my suppressors (moved 2 miles down the street) I was directed by the kind lady at ATF to this form:

http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f532020.pdf

Hope that helps.
rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerxd45 »

so i use the same form i would if i were just going on a trip with them?

but instead put that the items will NOT be returned to original location
rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerxd45 »

ok secondly i will probably only be moving there for about 2 years, should i do the permanent change or just say they will be out for a year, and then when that year is up i can do it again for another year?

im just not sure what is the best route.

also what if i do this form and some unforseen situation casuses me to not end up moving, because at this point its only about 95% chance im moving
rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerxd45 »

also does "serviceable" mean does it work or not?

if not what does it mean?
rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerxd45 »

Sorry one last question

one of my guns is a SBR that i did on a form one,

when filling out the paperwork in the link that was provided above i was filling out the info about the SBR and it ask manufacturer. Well do i put me or do i put the original manufacturer/.

in this case CMMG made the lower but i did the form 1 as an individual

so who do i put? im thinking i should put my info
ncsu90
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncsu90 »

Sound's like you have enough questions to keep her busy for a few minutes- :) . Contact information at this link:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nfa/index.htm
rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerxd45 »

thanks for the link, i already had their contact info though.

i figured i would try here first so they can spend their time doing tax stamps for all of you
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

rogerxd45 wrote:ok secondly i will probably only be moving there for about 2 years, should i do the permanent change or just say they will be out for a year, and then when that year is up i can do it again for another year?
I'd get some guidance on this one. My instinct would be to check "No" for question 2, and file for another permanent transfer down the road, but check with ATF to be sure.
also what if i do this form and some unforseen situation casuses me to not end up moving, because at this point its only about 95% chance im moving
They will probably want a letter from you stating that the permanent move is not taking place. (If you didn't file as a permanent move, just forget about it. There's no obligation to actually take it interstate.)

Servicable means "Is it dewatted". If the barrel is plugged, or the chamber welded shut, or one of the other usual methods of deactivating a weapon without destroying it has been used on it. Normally just applies to registered dewats.

If it only has a broken spring or something then it's still considered servicable.
i figured i would try here first so they can spend their time doing tax stamps for all of you
Ask for Ernie Lintner, he can help you, and he doesn't do the tax stamping part of the operation.
rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerxd45 »

Diomed wrote:
rogerxd45 wrote:ok secondly i will probably only be moving there for about 2 years, should i do the permanent change or just say they will be out for a year, and then when that year is up i can do it again for another year?
I'd get some guidance on this one. My instinct would be to check "No" for question 2, and file for another permanent transfer down the road, but check with ATF to be sure.
They will probably want a letter from you stating that the permanent move is not taking place. (If you didn't file as a permanent move, just forget about it. There's no obligation to actually take it interstate.)

Servicable means "Is it dewatted". If the barrel is plugged, or the chamber welded shut, or one of the other usual methods of deactivating a weapon without destroying it has been used on it. Normally just applies to registered dewats.

If it only has a broken spring or something then it's still considered servicable.
Ask for Ernie Lintner, he can help you, and he doesn't do the tax stamping part of the operation.
thanks for the info,

I will double check my questions with the ATF

ok and one more question,

i have an AOW and suppressor can i take those to the place im moving without the paperwork, (i know you can if its just a trip) but since i might be there for an exdended period is it needed to fill out the change of address form for the AOW and suppressor

i could ask the ATF this question but im sure their answer would be that they wanted me to do the paper work. im surethey like to keep tabs on you legal or not, but if im not legally obligated then why do it?
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

rogerxd45 wrote:i have an AOW and suppressor can i take those to the place im moving without the paperwork, (i know you can if its just a trip) but since i might be there for an exdended period is it needed to fill out the change of address form for the AOW and suppressor

i could ask the ATF this question but im sure their answer would be that they wanted me to do the paper work. im surethey like to keep tabs on you legal or not, but if im not legally obligated then why do it?
There's nothing in the statutes or regulations I know of that requires it. It's possible I may have missed it, of course, and I don't think anyone can really say it's a bad idea to cover your ass in this field.

It takes five minutes and can prevent future hassles.