Amount of extra lenght needed for threaded pistol barrel?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

quietshooter

Amount of extra lenght needed for threaded pistol barrel?

Post by quietshooter »

Saw from another post that a guy had a glock 19 barrel threaded .4" back from the muzzle and used it in a glock 26. I have seen barrels used by awc etc. that were as long as .9 past the end of the slide. How much is enough and what aint enough? Obviously the can cant touch the recoil spring guide rod but is less than 1/2 inch enough? curious cause i plan to do the same and was worried about the short amount of threads.

p.s. havent changed my screen name yet so my apologies to qietshootr whose name I inadvertantly appropriated.
SilentMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by SilentMike »

.400 of thread is plenty if you are using the industry standard 1/2-28 tpi. The additional unthreaded section of barrel is, as you surmised, for guide rod clearance on Glocks, USP's, etc. We attacked the problem of having a long, gangly looking extended barrel from the silencer side by extending the piston on our Evolution 9 so that it protrudes from the rear of the silencer about 5/16". The piston is small enough in diameter that it does not interfere with the guiderod. This keeps the amount of extended barrel to a minimum, which makes for a cleaner looking setup IMHO. :D

Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.
www.advanced-armament.com
quietshooter

Its so nice.....

Post by quietshooter »

Its so nice to have you guys from AAC on this board. Info from guys with knowledge! It's refreshing to get good answers . While were at it, I'd like to ask you a question about baffles from a design standpoint. Seems like a lot of MFG's are using Qual a tec designed baffles or some itteration of such. They were designed about 1986. In 20 years, you guys{the modern suppressor industry} havent come up with something better? Please dont get me wrong. I'm not bitching but you'd think some giant breakthrough would'da come along with the super computers and such. I realize that at the time, the work done by M. Finn was ground breaking but that was a long time ago. Not everyone posts pictures of their internals and for good reason but seems like suppressors should get smaller and quieter than they are even now. Are we at some threshold of development for baffle technology like we were at the speed of sound during early jet aircraft design? how many new and totally different designs for baffles do you guys come up with and test each year? 2, 10, 50? Is there some new technology out there yet untapped? Just wondering.
Dan
Silent But Deadly

extended barrels

Post by Dan »

aparently .35 is about the min. people use this length to alow factory beretta m9,92 ect barrels to be threaded. I chose .4 to alow for about .1 clearance in case I ever wanted to use a can with a straight back or threads diretly made into the tube. Mostly aluminum cans all have stainless inserts in the rear that meet up with the shoulder on the barrel and that makes for about another .1 clearance.

also it is kind of nice to have a shorter threaded section because the suppressor comes on and off faster.

Dan
noiseless
Silent But Deadly

Post by noiseless »

Here is a couple of photos of a G19 with a Barsto barrel I purchased from AAC some time back. Just to show the threads and spacing

The suppressor is a Steel "JRW" MP5 suppressor. I'm waiting for the paperwork on the "Evolution-9" to be approved :D

Did I mention I'm patiently waiting on the paperwork on the Evolution-9 to get approved . . . .

Patiently I tell ya. :D