H1N1 vaccine

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Are you going to get it?

Yes
18%
No
82%

Total votes: 110

silencertalk
Site Admin

H1N1 vaccine

Post by silencertalk »

Who is gonna get it? I am.

People who think it was not tested enough fail to consider that it is just like any previous vaccine and in fact if it was done a few months earlier it would have just been folded into the yearly flu vaccine.
Deathray
Silent But Deadly

Post by Deathray »

No thanks.
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

I avoid letting them inject/mist me whenever possible.

You need a "not if I can avoid it" option for the military. Most of the time it isn't a choice for us.
mac man
Elite Member

Post by mac man »

Deathray wrote:No thanks.
This!
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Very no.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

I normally get my "flu" shot at the VA for free, but I heard the farther apart you get the "flu" shot from the H1N1 the better. The VA had not yet started the regular flu shots so I paid for a civilian shot for $25.

As soon as the H1N1 comes out I will get that. Hopefully the VA will have them sooner than later. My Immune system is flaky and i don't want to risk this one.

I appears the H1N1 is going to be before the regular flu. I want that shot ASAP.

Every one in the family wants one except my Wife. She has different opinions than I do... There is no fighting it. Now if it involved crystals and some energy work she might go for it. She is one of the people who easily fall for snake oil and believes BS some charlatan who calls themselves Doctor yet never took A&P or any medical courses..maybe something on advertising and business,
then when to some holistic school for 4 weeks and is now a certified "healer"

They should flog these people. Every day a person does not treat a disease that responds to western medicine is a day closer to them dying.

http://www.quackwatch.com/

Must reading

colloidal silver <~~~~ and example of quackery google it and look at the people it's screwed over.

My wife was suggested to take it for her "adrenals" by some faith healer. I flat out forbade her from taking it. It was not till her son a RN told her to NOT take it woudl she listen. They should hang these people by their thumbs. http://www.kitchendoctor.com/healthcond ... stion.html

What happened to the answers

1) The H1N1 vaccine is a new world order plot and will make you get (insert some disease here and cause birth defects)

And

2) H1N1 Vaccine is fro wimps like Cortland.
Last edited by JohnInNH on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

The threat is completely overblown. More people are still dying from the regular Flu.

Here is what happens when I get the Flue shot: Two-three weeks of being sick and miserable after the shot and still getting the Flu anyway.

That happened to me for 4 years straight. Farking thing might as well be a placebo.

3 years with no shots and I've only gotten the full blown Flu once and one mild case of what probably was the Flu. Even if I got the full blown Flu every year, not getting the shot would be worth it considering I wouldn't be sick for 2-3 weeks afterwords.

Sure it's not a valid argument for others not getting the shot, but it's valid for ME not getting the shot.

I can certainly see valid reasons for the skepticism. This is not Polio, it's the Flu. Get a 24 pack of diet 7-up, a barf bucket, and lock yourself in the bathroom. After the first 12 hours I don't remember anything anyway.

This is not the 1918 flu for several reasons:
1. We understand that the flu is a virus. In 1918 they thought it was a bacterium, and tried to treat it as such.
2. The world is not at war. We do not have large numbers of YOUNG, HEALTHY people in immunocompromised conditions such as war zones (i.e. stressed, lacking food, crowded into refugee camps).
3. This virus has not as yet shown any signs of attacking with the same virulence as the 1918 flu.
4. In re #1, we now have medications to treat viral infections and secondary bacterial infections that did not exist in 1918.
5. a) a majority of the deaths were secondary to bacterial pneumonia, which is less of a problem today (see #4); and b) it was the conditions of trench warfare in WWI Europe that unnaturally selected for the deadlier variety of virus that attacked younger people so savagely (see #2), conditions that mostly don't exist today.
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

I am a wimp... I HATE being sick.. I don't work for a company that gives me days off or pays me if I don;t work.. Or pays medical bills.

A free H1N1 shot might save me some $ It also might help me work by helping me not be as sick for as long.

I have only had 2-3 reactions to any shots. Those were in the Active military and who knows what they were for... One got a lot of us sick I think it was egg embryo live virus (but weakened)..

The H1N1 is not a live virus immunization.
brainneeded

Post by brainneeded »

already got the swine flu, what do i need the vaccine for? :evil:

that was a terrible week, and i'm still recovering.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

No thanks, avoid taking any medication that isn't savin my life at the time.
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

brainneeded wrote:already got the swine flu, what do i need the vaccine for? :evil:

that was a terrible week, and i'm still recovering.
Sorry to hear you got the Swine Flu before you had a chance to get the vaccine for it. Are you SURE it was the H1N1 confirmed by a blood test.

If so wold you please tell us how it was for you. Symptoms, where it settled if it did, why you thought it was the swine flu and not the seasonal flu?....etc.

I have heard TamaFlu (sp) is ineffective

Did you need to go to the MD?

I hope you get back to 100% soon.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The seasonal vaccine reduces infection by 70% of something that kills 40,000 people a year in the US (3x as many as people that are murdered). Personally -- you are all insane for not getting it. The downside is $25 and side effects that are much less likely than the benefit.

And if you are afraid of the shot itself -- that is very lame. It does not hurt.
Outsydlooknin75
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Outsydlooknin75 »

I can get both for free if I choose from the GF's work since their parent company makes them. I dont know yet if I will get either really. I dont do shots, nor do I get sick.

And if I am sick I need to be on my death bed to miss work when I am working.
If you can read this thank a teacher, if you can read this in English thank a soldier.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

I have gotten the flu shot pretty much every year for many years now.
My dad got sick and had issues with his immune system, so we pretty much had to get the shots to avoid bringing more problems into the house.
No, I just get it anyway, no reason not to.
My employer offers it for free. I work for a school system and work in an office environment, so illnesses tend to carry around easily.
I tend to not get sick (in general) Maybe a cold here or there and I still get the flu shot. I've never had any side effects. They change the strains of flu every year for what they predict will hit. H1N1 is just another strain that will work it's way in to the standard shots if needed. I have no reason to believe that this vaccine is rushed or more dangerous than the standard shot.
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

I am allergic to eggs
I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Free at work and I will be the first in line.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
tuckerrnr1
Silent But Deadly

Post by tuckerrnr1 »

40 years with no flu shots, still here.
[img]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m264/19283938/kookaid.gif[/img]
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Imagine if murder was 3x more common to bring the risk up to flu levels. And for $25 you could buy a gun which would reduce your chances of being murdered by 70%. You would not because of the risks of owning a gun?
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

tuckerrnr1 wrote:40 years with no flu shots, still here.
36 years, tons of flu shots, still here. :)
tuckerrnr1
Silent But Deadly

Post by tuckerrnr1 »

Two words: Immune system.

Build one. Play in the dirt, eat a bug, lick a public pay phone. Darwin was right.
tuckerrnr1
Silent But Deadly

Post by tuckerrnr1 »

chrismartin wrote:36 years, tons of flu shots, still here. :)
You are already dead, you are like a twinkie. :D
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

tuckerrnr1 wrote:
chrismartin wrote:36 years, tons of flu shots, still here. :)
You are already dead, you are like a twinkie. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

rsilvers wrote:Imagine if murder was 3x more common to bring the risk up to flu levels. And for $25 you could buy a gun which would reduce your chances of being murdered by 70%. You would not because of the risks of owning a gun?
Well, with murder if you aren't involved in the drug trade and don't live in the bad part of town, your chance of being murdered drops sharply.

Likewise with the Flu, don't be an old person or a child and don't have a compromised immune system and you will probably be fine.
tuckerrnr1 wrote:Two words: Immune system.

Build one. Play in the dirt, eat a bug, lick a public pay phone. Darwin was right.
I work in jails across several states. My immune system kills small animals.
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Crosshair wrote:Likewise with the Flu, don't be an old person or a child and don't have a compromised immune system and you will probably be fine.
Yes, you will survive it. Meanwhile, you passed it on to several other people. The vaccine does not just protect you, but it protects the kids and old people you are near - as well as people at work.