$500 SBR challenge

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Kel-Tec Sub2000 < $400.

No SBR needed folded length is 16 inches, fits in most backpacks.
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

renegade wrote:Kel-Tec Sub2000 < $400.

No SBR needed folded length is 16 inches, fits in most backpacks.
That's going around the idea of the challenge.
"You'll put yer eye out with that thing"

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

While I have to agree that a larger initial investment would yield a better result; I like the mental exercise of the challenge. It's all about "what if".

The stocked pistol is likeley the most practical option. At that point you can really base a project like that on whatever you find a good deal on.

Another parameter that would get you in under the $500 mark is SBRing a 22. The OP wants more power, and more power is good, but the topic is the $500 SBR challenge. No doubt you could chop off any one of many 22 rifles or bolt a stock onto any 22 pistol within the budget.

How about a wheel gun? I know the OP wants a semi auto, but since we're throwing ideas around.... There used to be shoulder stocked revolvers way back when, and there are still some black powder ones available. A 357mag (or whatever flavor you wish) wheel gun with a detatchable shoulder stock would be pretty cool.

Neat thread.
ScottRS

Post by ScottRS »

Kitbuilt under- or side- folder AK might just make the price point; bonus savings in that 922r doesn't apply to NFA stuff, so you don't have to buy compliance parts.

Centerfire has barrel-included Romanian M65 kits for $250, or barrel-less for $120, Apex has Romy barrels for $100. That plus a receiver might crack past $300, but a DIY flat would make it under $300. More work, but bending AK flats isn't hard.

If it'll be SBR anyway, buying the barrel-less kit saves disassembly work to cut the barrel down, and once the barrel is pulled, you really should headspace it anyway, plus, it's slightly cheaper.
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

Another vote for the NEF HandiRifle. Get it in 30/30, 7.62x39, .357 or .45LC. All easy to suppress. Lots of barrel choices once you've registered your receiver. Not tacticool but very practical.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Maybe...practicool?
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

ScottRS wrote:Kitbuilt under- or side- folder AK might just make the price point; bonus savings in that 922r doesn't apply to NFA stuff, so you don't have to buy compliance parts.

Centerfire has barrel-included Romanian M65 kits for $250, or barrel-less for $120, Apex has Romy barrels for $100. That plus a receiver might crack past $300, but a DIY flat would make it under $300. More work, but bending AK flats isn't hard.

If it'll be SBR anyway, buying the barrel-less kit saves disassembly work to cut the barrel down, and once the barrel is pulled, you really should headspace it anyway, plus, it's slightly cheaper.
this has sparked my interest. I'll have to also look at ppsh-43 builds.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

If you are willing to do the work of a kit build, then a PPS or an AK shorty would kick some real butt.

Is minimal machining/ fabricating a parameter of the $500 challenge? If you're willing to build, the options expand dramaticly.

You can do a Skorpion re-weld for under $300. Lots of WWII and Cold War era subgun semis become an option......
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

Diomed wrote:
Twinsen wrote:Didn't somebody just come out with a stock for a MkII ruger?
Well, if you want to blow your budget...

Gaytarded
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Is that the one that just came out? I can't picture the newish setup.
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

jlwilliams wrote:If you are willing to do the work of a kit build, then a PPS or an AK shorty would kick some real butt.

Is minimal machining/ fabricating a parameter of the $500 challenge? If you're willing to build, the options expand dramaticly.

You can do a Skorpion re-weld for under $300. Lots of WWII and Cold War era subgun semis become an option......
I can weld no problem, milling might be an issue.

Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

What is the point? $300 for an SBR is not going to give you many options or a lot of quality. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good quality rifle/SBR but, $500 to $700 opens up a lot of options.

For $300, a rifle that has a removable barrel is going to be a good option since you don't have the $200 NFA tax and could spend $500 :). Some factory side folding stock rifles are good alternatives. For a "road" gun, an AOW Safety Harbor KEG-12 is hard to beat (and it's a $5 tax ;)). If you need more range and power then a 12 gauge, the AK-47/Krink options become attractive (I like the Russian "x39" options better then a .223 in general for SBR's).
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

Sid Post wrote:What is the point? $300 for an SBR is not going to give you many options or a lot of quality. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good quality rifle/SBR but, $500 to $700 opens up a lot of options.
The point is to see what options there are.

rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerxd45 »

Diomed wrote:
Twinsen wrote:Didn't somebody just come out with a stock for a MkII ruger?
Well, if you want to blow your budget...

isnt it legal to convert a pistol to a rifle as long as you dont switch it back to a pistol?

that barrel looks like it could be 16" so that might not require the tax stamp

my understanding of the law is that you can convert a pistol to a rifle but once you do its a rifle but can no longer be a pistol (except for the thompson contenders that can go back and forth)
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

CKOD wrote:
apochachuva wrote:
CKOD wrote: Why not go for a CZ-52? 7.62x25 has a lot more ass to it then 9mm mak.

Not as suppressable since it comes out screamin fast but that wasnt one of the original requirements.

that + jhp ammo = a whole lotta mess s--t up power.
Suppressability would be just a bonus. Seen any CZ-52s for sale under 200$ lately?
That's why I was thinking TTC(Romanian TT33 clone)
Hmm well the TT33 has a button mag release instead of a heel mag release, so thats a plus . Aim surplus has TT33s for $219 with penny shipping and I cant find any CZ-52s anywhere at low prices, damn its been more then a few months since Ive checked :lol:

Why is that a plus? Ive never understood the American need for a button mag release. Its harder to manipulate than a heel release and I havent seen heel mag release gun magazines exactly falling out on their own. The only thing I don't like about my buckmark is the button mag release.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
jandbj
Silent But Deadly

Post by jandbj »

T/C Contender!
Everything from .17 HMR to .45-70, factory 10"-14" barrels, etc...
RidgeRunner
Silent Operator

Post by RidgeRunner »

I was going to suggest a Glock of some sort with the stock commonly seen on G18s until I saw the tax stamp had to be included in the $500.

$350-$400 used Glock
$100-$150 stock from dealers online once the stamp arrives.
dustingaunder
Silent But Deadly

Post by dustingaunder »

Chop a 9mm hi-point carbine.
Students for Concealed Carry on Campus
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

I was wondering when someone would say that.
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

Since I own a 1911 lower I'd go this route and give the upper to my machine shop to choppy choppy...

Maybe it overshoots by the budget by a hundred bones or so, but with a decent optic these things are fun...Probably need a bigger can like the Ti-rant to curb blowback...
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

rogerxd45 wrote:isnt it legal to convert a pistol to a rifle as long as you dont switch it back to a pistol?
Sure.
that barrel looks like it could be 16" so that might not require the tax stamp
The silencer tube is 13.25", so it's a two-stamp setup.
my understanding of the law is that you can convert a pistol to a rifle but once you do its a rifle but can no longer be a pistol (except for the thompson contenders that can go back and forth)
Funny you should ask. I chatted up a rep from FTB about that while at SAR. His take was that yes, going back to pistol is not legal under the NFA, but no one at ATF actually gives a s--t, as evidenced by the answer you get if you tell ATF you converted your SBR'd pistol back into a non-SBR and want its new status reflected in the registry (the answer being "Okay!").
DeltaPDesign
Silent Operator

Skip the $200 tax and use a stocked AOW

Post by DeltaPDesign »

Get one of the Savage combination guns in .223/12 ga, have a Type 07 FFL/SOT chop the barrels back to whatever fits in your pack and register it as an AOW then transfer it to you on a $5 stamp.

Save on the taxes man!
ctdonath
Silent But Deadly

Post by ctdonath »

Meet the "Obryez":
You'll need the other $250 for the suppressor.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

ctdonath wrote:Meet the "Obryez":
You'll need the other $250 for the suppressor.
That's photoshop'd.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

I can't speak for that picture's authenticity, but there have been some Mosin Nagant SBRs. The AOW Mosin is a sick idea. I like it. Combinig the rolls of firearm and flame thrower in one package. Perfect for....something. I'm sure of that.