building extended p22 mags?

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rsm688
Silent But Deadly

building extended p22 mags?

Post by rsm688 »

Has anyone attempted this yet? I am planning on giving it a shot using 2 factor p22 mags or a factory mag and building an extension and sleeve out of sheet metal. If anyone has built extended mags before how did you go about with the springs? I was thinking either one set of long springs or putting a metal flat plate in the extension that has a stop where the factory mag would have a floor and using a fairly strong spring below it and have like a 2 step spring setup. Im sure its gonna take a lot of tinkering to do it but im tired of the low mag capacity after shooting my glocks with 33round magazines.

If you have done this before for a p22, or any other gun, please let me know how you went about doing it so I can get some ideas

Thanks,
Spencer
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Post by chingon »

Someone did it on rimfirecentral.com, they just welded 2 bodies together and used both springs.
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
rsm688
Silent But Deadly

Post by rsm688 »

chingon wrote:Someone did it on rimfirecentral.com, they just welded 2 bodies together and used both springs.
do you remember if it worked fine that way or if it had problems with it feeding? Also, do you happen to have a link to the thread? I searched around and could not find it

Thanks,
Spencer
AgentAdam
Senior Silent Operator

Post by AgentAdam »

I have 3 brand new +3 followers that i am selling that allow you to load 13 rounds into a standard p22 magazne. They came from www.magazineparts.com Im in north MS if you want them.
AgentAdam
Senior Silent Operator

Post by AgentAdam »

AgentAdam wrote:I have 3 brand new +3 followers that i am selling that allow you to load 13 rounds into a standard p22 magazne. They came from www.magazineparts.com Im in north MS if you want them.
http://www.magazineparts.com/productDisplay.php?id=P3
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Post by chingon »

AgentAdam wrote:
AgentAdam wrote:I have 3 brand new +3 followers that i am selling that allow you to load 13 rounds into a standard p22 magazne. They came from www.magazineparts.com Im in north MS if you want them.
http://www.magazineparts.com/productDisplay.php?id=P3
How much? why are you selling them?
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
AgentAdam
Senior Silent Operator

Post by AgentAdam »

I will let 3 of them go for $20 shipped.

I am selling them because they don't hold the slide back after the last shot.

I my first P22 with the original black magazines held 12 rounds before they updated them to stainless ones.
SparkDogg

Post by SparkDogg »

Heya, new around here, but I also have a P22 that I've been wanting to pick up\fabricate Hi-Cap mags for.

One thing I stumbled across is that they're now making 45 round drums for the P22. If you Google "Walther P22 Drum" you'll find some hits.

They aren't cheap (like $170), and there isn't any "real" need to have a drum on a P22 either...

But that doesn't mean that I don't want one :D
Dock Rocker
Silent Operator

Post by Dock Rocker »

I saw some of the Drums at Knob Creek this year. I talked to the owner of the company as well. They seem very well made. I did not get to shoot one but they are built like a tank! A bit on the pricey side but cool none the less.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Bought one of the drums for the P22/G22 for my FIL.

I have not used it, but I'll do a write up when we hook up.
NFAtalk.org
silverbulletexpress
Silent But Deadly

Post by silverbulletexpress »

Two best ways of extending mags are to use a donor magazine and tig a cut off piece onto the new magazine, or if possible fabricate extended baseplates. Then you have the magazine spring to deal with but you can usually find something that will work or Wolf will have it. Rarely you can find a longer mag from some other pistol that can be made to work with what you have.

Dealing with the 22lr rims is tough and you are limited to how many rounds you can stack in a straight mag to roughly 12-15 without putting some curve in them ala extended 10-22 mags. It's not going to be cheap.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785