300 whisper

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

pingi333
Silent Operator

300 whisper

Post by pingi333 »

Anybody here of any body who has a 300 whisper/firearm barrel?

Thanks
hjustein

Post by hjustein »

yes.

Ive got an SBR AR built up in 300 whisper, and I am making a whisper barrel for my CZ-527.

What do you want to know?
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

I'm waiting for funding to accumulate, and I'll be ordering a 300 whisper AR barrel from a custom barrel maker sometime soon. I have the upper reciever and everything ready, just missing the barrel, and optics.
Gunsmith.JM
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gunsmith.JM »

CKOD wrote:I'm waiting for funding to accumulate, and I'll be ordering a 300 whisper AR barrel from a custom barrel maker sometime soon. I have the upper reciever and everything ready, just missing the barrel, and optics.
If you don't mind me asking, who will you be using and what price are you going to pay for it?
pingi333
Silent Operator

Post by pingi333 »

will any of you guys sell me their AR 300 Whisper barrel? Please. I will pay premium. I would prefer not wait till mid January to get one from Noveske or SSK.

PRETTY PLEASE
pingi333
Silent Operator

Post by pingi333 »

CKOD wrote:I'm waiting for funding to accumulate, and I'll be ordering a 300 whisper AR barrel from a custom barrel maker sometime soon. I have the upper reciever and everything ready, just missing the barrel, and optics.

I piked up a DPMS to build a dedicated 300 Whisper.
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

Gunsmith.JM wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, who will you be using and what price are you going to pay for it?
Dedicated technology, and it'd end up ~$460 with a threaded muzzle. But Thats a custom contour, (since it has a pistol position gas block). Not cheap, but I just spent ~450 on a noveske barrel for my 5.56 upper, so why should I cheap out on this? :lol: Probably a little more then $460 now that I think of it, because I'm going to get him to pin my gas block in place (its set-screw at the moment, which I'm not a fan of, if it were split and a clamp on type, that'd be alright, but not just a set screw)
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

pingi333 wrote:

I piked up a DPMS to build a dedicated 300 Whisper.
DPMS upper or whole AR and you wanna do a second upper? When I first started all I could find was a cheap oly barrel on del-ton and 8 months later I canceled my order which hadnt shipped yet. (but they sure charged my card ASAP....)
pingi333
Silent Operator

Post by pingi333 »

Yeah, I picked up a whole DPMS rifle to do a build. Every barrel maker I called said no or wait till January. Model 1 sales said they have one in stock but they wont ship for 6 weeks cause they were backed up. Screw them.
hjustein

Post by hjustein »

guys, I build barrels, including AR barrels.

I dont really advertise because I don't have the time to do a lot of them, but if anyone needs a whisper barrel built feel free to shoot me an email and I can most certainly get it made faster than what you are talking.
pingi333
Silent Operator

Post by pingi333 »

hjustein wrote:guys, I build barrels, including AR barrels.

I dont really advertise because I don't have the time to do a lot of them, but if anyone needs a whisper barrel built feel free to shoot me an email and I can most certainly get it made faster than what you are talking.
man, a couple of hours too late. I just picked a complete upper. Not what I was looking for but I guess I will have a spare upper. Then I commuted to buy another upper on ar15.com. I guess I will have 2 spare uppers.
Gunsmith.JM
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gunsmith.JM »

CKOD, you have a PM
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

What would be a good length for an AR 300 whisper barrel?
Gunsmith.JM
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gunsmith.JM »

L1A1Rocker wrote:What would be a good length for an AR 300 whisper barrel?
I've heard anything from 7 to 16 but I have a 1-10, 16" bolt action which stabilizes anything up to 200gr in subsonic. Nice thing is that it throws a 150gr with some authority at close to 1900fps. Good enough for close range deer.

I used to have a 1-8, 11.5" AR15 barrel (had a pinned custom faux XM177 flash-hider for legal length) which was absolutely great for everything up to 240's. Although they did start to show partial signs of instability out around 200yds. The 11.5" was much easier to load subsonic but I still had the flexibility of using a pretty wide range of powders, unlike the ultra-short barrels (flash of unburnt powder).
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Funny you ask as I talked to JDJones the master of the 300 whisper
2 days ago and asked him the same question.
JD said a 10" to 16" barrel is best for suppressor use but he has made
them as short as 8" for customers that dont care about stability past
100 yrds.
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

redtazdog wrote:
100 yrds.
Did you guys talk twist rate?

Jeremy
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

J Krammes wrote:
redtazdog wrote:
100 yrds.
Did you guys talk twist rate?

Jeremy
I had the twist rate talk with him around 15 years ago when i made my
first barrel purchase from him.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

[/quote]I used to have a 1-8, 11.5" AR15 barrel (had a pinned custom faux XM177 flash-hider for legal length) which was absolutely great for everything up to 240's. Although they did start to show partial signs of instability out around 200yds.[/quote]

I would go with a 7 twist for the 240gr bullets.
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

-k- wrote: I would go with a 7 twist for the 240gr bullets.
Have you seen 1 in 7 around anywhere? Most blank makers Ive seen sell down to 1 in 8 in .308 dia barrel blanks, but not 1 in 7.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

CKOD wrote:
-k- wrote: I would go with a 7 twist for the 240gr bullets.
Have you seen 1 in 7 around anywhere? Most blank makers Ive seen sell down to 1 in 8 in .308 dia barrel blanks, but not 1 in 7.
http://www.pac-nor.com/barrels/
30 (.308") twist rates (bold = standard twist barrels)
2 groove 16"
3 groove 6.50" 7" 7.50" 9" 10" 12" 13" 14" 15"
4 groove 10" 11"
5 groove 4" 7" 8" 9" 10" 11" 12" 13" 15" 17" 18"
6 groove 8" 14"
Polygonal 8" 10" 12"
in 3 groove and 5 groove they make 1:7
heck they make a 1:6.5 in 3 groove and a 1:4 in 5 groove :shock:
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

Holy s--t, 1 in 4? Time to make an underwater rifle that also shoots alright above water too :lol: because that projectile is going to be 4" long.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

-k- wrote:
I used to have a 1-8, 11.5" AR15 barrel (had a pinned custom faux XM177 flash-hider for legal length) which was absolutely great for everything up to 240's. Although they did start to show partial signs of instability out around 200yds.[/quote]

I would go with a 7 twist for the 240gr bullets.[/quote]

I had a 1:7 and sold it because in made small holes shooting 240's at
300 yrds ( bullets dont tumble when shooting at a solid target.
The 1:8 I have is stable past 300 through paper and tumbles
like I want if the target is more solid like a thick cardbaord box
or plywood.
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

redtazdog wrote: I had a 1:7 and sold it because in made small holes shooting 240's at
300 yrds ( bullets dont tumble when shooting at a solid target.
The 1:8 I have is stable past 300 through paper and tumbles
like I want if the target is more solid like a thick cardbaord box
or plywood.
Sounds just right, what was the muzzle velocity of those loads? I was planning on 1 in 8 for my barrel, and definitely want it to be stable though the suppressor, but tumbling when it hits something is fine by me 8)
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

I don't want to put a bullet sideways through my can, while you don't have to worry about it.

Bullets will not be stable in a liquid at anywhere near the RPM we are talking about. Therefore they should have the same tumble from a 7 or 8 twist if you are shooting game.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Actually the 240 SMK in my 1:8 will tumble in game better than the same bullet in 1:7 twist as it's just marginally stable - I haven't tried shooting beyond 100 M with mine to see if it's still stable.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill