What is it with people and multi-calibers?!?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

The only combinations I wouldn't recommend (not that my approval matters) is one where the caliber of the bullet is larger than the caliber that the silencer is designed for, or where the muzzle pressure is higher than the bullet it was designed for. For all I care, you can mount a 50 cal can on your P22, it wouldn't grind my gears at all. :lol:

All that being said, I'd like to see the major silencer manufacturers start listing what caliber and barrel lengths can be used on their silencers without voiding the warranty.

For example, you have a .22 silencer. The manufacter could say they will warrant it for use on all .22 LR hosts, .17 HMR hosts with a barrel length of at least 16", .22 magnum hosts with a barrel length of at least 20", etc.

Same thing with 5.56/.223 cans being used on 22/250's, etc.

I eventually plan to get a silencer that is a very good match for every one of my guns. In the meantime, I'd like to maximize versatility and mounting a 30 cal can on a 5.56 is one way to do that. Is it the best match? Nope, not at all. Is it better than none? Most certainly!

ETA: Damn, beat me to it:
Mark K. wrote:heck I just bought an Alpha 50 bmg can- I got thread adapters for everything! it does make the p-22 a little bit nose heavy! :lol:
Also, Josh mentioned a guy that had a baffle strike after shooting thousands of rounds through his .22 silencer then switching to 5.7. Is it really smart to shoot 5.7 through a .22 can?!? A 5.7 bullet is roughly .224 inches in diameter. A .22 bullet is .223 inches in diameter. Shooting a cartridge with a higher pressure and slightly larger diameter doesn't seem like a very good idea to me.

The other way around, what's the problem? You're saying if I have a 7.62 can, and I don't have a 5.56 can yet, that I should shoot my 5.56 unsuppressed just because my 7.62 can wouldn't be as good as a 5.56 can? Screw that! I'll take the slightly higher dB and slightly larger dimensions and weight over shooting unsuppressed any day. When I do get my 7.62 can, I'll PM you to make sure you won't be at the range when I go, just so I don't cause you any grief. :D
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

Blaubart wrote: Also, Josh mentioned a guy that had a baffle strike after shooting thousands of rounds through his .22 silencer then switching to 5.7. Is it really smart to shoot 5.7 through a .22 can?!? A 5.7 bullet is roughly .224 inches in diameter. A .22 bullet is .223 inches in diameter. Shooting a cartridge with a higher pressure and slightly larger diameter doesn't seem like a very good idea to me.
It was probably a Spectre, or at least I'd hope so, if someone was shooting 5.7 though it.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

People shoot .357 dia bullets through 9mm cans all the time. .002 = NBD.

38 spl in a 9mm can works well for me. (fixed barrel)
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Walkure
Silent Operator

Post by Walkure »

CKOD wrote:
Blaubart wrote: Also, Josh mentioned a guy that had a baffle strike after shooting thousands of rounds through his .22 silencer then switching to 5.7. Is it really smart to shoot 5.7 through a .22 can?!? A 5.7 bullet is roughly .224 inches in diameter. A .22 bullet is .223 inches in diameter. Shooting a cartridge with a higher pressure and slightly larger diameter doesn't seem like a very good idea to me.
It was probably a Spectre, or at least I'd hope so, if someone was shooting 5.7 though it.
Additionally, the Spectre manual states that the can needs to be cleaned before switching from rimfire to 5.7.
SWR Spectre
SWR Trident9
SWR Specwar 556
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

Since when were suppressors only "a few dollars?" Unless you are a manufacturer and can make one for the cost of a little time and some scraps, the rest of us having to pay at least the $200 tax, and several hundred dollars more to get a caliber-specific suppressor of high enough quality to actually be better.

Hell, I'd even go as far as to say if one has $1200 to spend on suppression and has .308 and .223 rifles, he would probably get quieter results and greater durability all around with a single $1000 .308 suppressor for both calibers, rather than two separate suppressors for $400 each!
Nuclear
Silent Operator

Post by Nuclear »

Let's see, I can buy a 30 caliber can, and put it on 6 different rifles, two of which are .223, which will be a little louder, but I'll have less blow back into my face. Or I could put a suppressor on one each rifle, spend 6 times as much, and give the government 1200 dollars. I'll do that when I win the lottery.