Which 45 suppressor host

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Ge-mini-gun

Post by Ge-mini-gun »

You forking guys aren't making this easier. I shoot my 1911 better than any pistol I own...I never thought about getting a threaded barrel for it. Also I've never shot a 220, however I own a 229 which is about the third most accurate gun I have/shoot. Little history...I'm saving up for a Trident 9 and since I don't want to go through choosing a host gun again I dropped a email to SWR...they said a 226 would be the better gun out of what I was looking at...so. I'm thinking a 220 would be better than the USP (that I already have). If that was/is the case I was going to sell/trade for a 220. As a note, whatever gun I get will be shot 99% of the time with the suppressor...if that makes a difference.
Last edited by Ge-mini-gun on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

MK23.

:P
NFAtalk.org
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Sounds like a 1911A1 barrel would give you the most accurate and most inexpensive solution - in .45

if you have a 9mm 229 I would just get a barrel for that on as well.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Ge-mini-gun

Post by Ge-mini-gun »

229 is 357 Sig. Little more information...I have a MKIII as a host which is shot 99.9% of the time with the suppressor, with that said the internals of that gun get incredibly dirty...yes I know 22's are probably the dirtiest thing one could shoot, it's just the suppressor blows so much crap back into the action it's crazy. I've never shot a 45 or a 9mm with a suppressor...so I would think that they all blow some crap back into the action. So I guess I'm more looking for a gun that's A) easier to clean...B) can go longer between cleanings...C) be able to handle starter fluid/carb cleaner. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Just an FYI about 1911's:

Trey Knight:
The USSOCOM pistol program got offtrack when to many groups tried to piggyback the program and a consensus could not be made amongst the different groups. Many like the 1911 style which is harsd to suppress . Some groups said they had no need for a suppressor at all.
NFAtalk.org
Ge-mini-gun

Post by Ge-mini-gun »

Why would a 1911 be harder to suppress than any other gun? Not like it's an open bolt.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Ge-mini-gun wrote:Why would a 1911 be harder to suppress than any other gun? Not like it's an open bolt.
No idea.

I just remember him saying it and with Knights being directly involved in one of the more infamous .45 cans ever made, I trust it.
NFAtalk.org
Ge-mini-gun

Post by Ge-mini-gun »

Interesting. I know 9mm's are quieter than 45...maybe that was their thinking
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

Ge-mini-gun wrote:Why would a 1911 be harder to suppress than any other gun? Not like it's an open bolt.
I think they are just sensitive to build variation. You throw in that many different manufacturers and it's just what you get. I've shot a very nice custom built 1911 and it was a tad quieter than an HK USP Tactical. There was more blow back in general, though. I personally like the HK45.
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

Is it possible to get a 1911 barrel threaded to M16x1 like the USP Tactical so we dont have to buy 2 pistons.....???
AAC SPR/M4, AAC TiRant .45, AAC Prodigy, AAC Cyclone
many, many more to come
tctlrld
Silent But Deadly

Post by tctlrld »

kapkanimd wrote:Is it possible to get a 1911 barrel threaded to M16x1 like the USP Tactical so we dont have to buy 2 pistons.....???
A bull barrel yes. Not enough meat on a standard profile barrel. Jarvis sells them.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

tctlrld wrote:
kapkanimd wrote:Is it possible to get a 1911 barrel threaded to M16x1 like the USP Tactical so we dont have to buy 2 pistons.....???
A bull barrel yes. Not enough meat on a standard profile barrel. Jarvis sells them.
I'm curious. How is the bull barrel retained in the gun? Anyone care to show disassebly pics?
Thanks,
Lava
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

LavaRed wrote:I'm curious. How is the bull barrel retained in the gun? Anyone care to show disassebly pics?
I'm surprised no one answered you after all this time. The bull barrel is just like the standard barrel but is thick enough that there is no bushing. The significant change comes with the recoil spring cap, which has to be made captive, since the bushing isn't there to retain it. Makes disassembly and reassembly a bit of a pain, as I recall (though it's been about two years since I pulled my bull barrel 1911 apart).
skychaser53
Silent Operator

Post by skychaser53 »

I love Colts !! I would always say Colt 1911 always except for one thing. No rail.

For Home defense, I would pick a gun that has a rail. Put a light on it that would blind the intruder.

On the other hand, Colt does have a railed 45 now, I think. I just don't know anything about it.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

skychaser53 wrote:I love Colts !! I would always say Colt 1911 always except for one thing. No rail.

For Home defense, I would pick a gun that has a rail. Put a light on it that would blind the intruder.

On the other hand, Colt does have a railed 45 now, I think. I just don't know anything about it.
What do you want to blind him for if your'e going to shoot him anyway? I could see it if you just want to see him better and make sure he's not one of the kids but if he's got a light pointed at him he's going to get shot .
skychaser53
Silent Operator

Post by skychaser53 »

YugoRPK wrote:
skychaser53 wrote:I love Colts !! I would always say Colt 1911 always except for one thing. No rail.

What do you want to blind him for if your'e going to shoot him anyway? I could see it if you just want to see him better and make sure he's not one of the kids but if he's got a light pointed at him he's going to get shot .
I meant to blind him temporarily.. When an intruder has a blinding light in his eyes, he can't see where to shoot. and of course to make sure ,Im not shooting one of the kids.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

1911, because my trigger control is terrible. With that gun, not that noticeable.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Diomed wrote:
LavaRed wrote:I'm curious. How is the bull barrel retained in the gun? Anyone care to show disassebly pics?
I'm surprised no one answered you after all this time. The bull barrel is just like the standard barrel but is thick enough that there is no bushing. The significant change comes with the recoil spring cap, which has to be made captive, since the bushing isn't there to retain it. Makes disassembly and reassembly a bit of a pain, as I recall (though it's been about two years since I pulled my bull barrel 1911 apart).
May I trouble you asking how the recoil spring cap is kept captive inside the slide?
And, does one need a specialized slide to use a bull barrel, or can a standard, 1950's Colt hard slide be used?
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

LavaRed wrote:May I trouble you asking how the recoil spring cap is kept captive inside the slide?
And, does one need a specialized slide to use a bull barrel, or can a standard, 1950's Colt hard slide be used?
The cap has a lip on the breech end, and the slide is usually relieved so the lip fits in and is retained that way. A picture is the easiest way to explain it, but I have no idea where to get one.

So far as I know no special slide is needed. Mine just needed the little machining to hold the recoil spring cap, everything else was left the same (aside from fitting the bull barrel, of course).
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Diomed wrote: So far as I know no special slide is needed. Mine just needed the little machining to hold the recoil spring cap, everything else was left the same (aside from fitting the bull barrel, of course).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYiyri3VUz0
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Diomed and Artful, you each win +1 Internet Cookie Jars. :D