P22 cycling

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

BigOutdoors

P22 cycling

Post by BigOutdoors »

New to the quiet life and bought a p22 and can. It will not cycle the subsonics only standard and high velocity. Is this the norm? Can I change the spring? Thanks upfront for any answers you may have.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Re: P22 cycling

Post by redtazdog »

BigOutdoors wrote:New to the quiet life and bought a p22 and can. It will not cycle the subsonics only standard and high velocity. Is this the norm? Can I change the spring? Thanks upfront for any answers you may have.
Shoot many more hi velocity rounds to break in the gun first
then try sub ammo.
A couple drops of oil may help too
Cj Two A
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cj Two A »

Or sell it back quick and get a Ruger MK I,II,III, Browning Buckmark, or CZ Kadet.

I've done everything in the book including Smith and Wesson repair department. :/

I suggest you check around the following link for info on fixing P22's, they've got some good stuff, even if none of it worked on mine.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48
BigOutdoors

Post by BigOutdoors »

Returning is not an option I have available. I do appreciate all the help so far though. I have considered selling the gun and purchasing a different platform but wanted to know if there was other options first.
trey_phish83
Silent But Deadly

Post by trey_phish83 »

is there a need to run subsonic ammo?
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
BigOutdoors

Post by BigOutdoors »

Only to lesson the report. The high and standard velocity rounds do make a noticeable report out of the suppressor. I shoot them but still like to hear only the sound of the action and bullet on target downrange.
trey_phish83
Silent But Deadly

Post by trey_phish83 »

i've got a p22 and tac65 combo and i notice the standard bulk federal ammo is quieter then rem subsonic. thats just me, maybe your ammo is different. do you have the 5" barrel or 3?
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
BigOutdoors

Post by BigOutdoors »

I have the 3" barrel. It is was a used transfer that I got a good deal on just to see if I wanted to invest in the bigger calibers. So far I am just trying to work out what I see as the bugs. I do not have the suppressor with me at this time, but I have not been able to find out anything about the manufacturer to find out about care and cleaning if any.It does not appear to be a take down type model so I do not know if there is any maintenance. I do appreciate all the help I have received thus far from the forum.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Have you shot it with sub ammo and a can yet ?
Mine will cycle good with Aguila 40 grn and CCI 40 grn sub ammo.
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Post by chingon »

Mine will cycle remington subs, CCI subs and Federal GM subs, it WILL NOT cycle Aguila subs YMMV,
Store it with the slide locked to the rear
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ryo »

chingon wrote:Mine will cycle remington subs, CCI subs and Federal GM subs, it WILL NOT cycle Aguila subs YMMV,
Store it with the slide locked to the rear
Why do you store it with the slide locked to the rear?
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ryo »

Thanks for the link to the P22 Bible. Going to have to rip apart my P22 to make some of the upgrades.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Ryo wrote:Thanks for the link to the P22 Bible. Going to have to rip apart my P22 to make some of the upgrades.
Check your chamber as it may be rough and tight and
this will cause the gun to cycle slower because the slide will need to use up more energy to extract the spent case.
I did some polishing in the chamber to remove the machine marks
and it now cycles sub ammo easy.
The factories use the chamber reamers for so many barrels
that the reamer dimensions get smaller and rougher.