Sig Sauer 522 rimfire Samson iron sights review

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Remy1492
Silent Operator

Sig Sauer 522 rimfire Samson iron sights review

Post by Remy1492 »

There have been many wondering about the new Sig 522 .22lr rifle and whether the Samson front sight for the larger sized rifle, will fit the .22 version.
It will!
I received it a few days ago and tested it out.

The Samson sights are a smooth finished high quality metal that slip right on and are easily flipped up by a spring action push button.
A very tacticool feature for a .22 rifle. I opted for the PLUS rear sight as I have an astigmatism and this aperture helped out my sight picture for close range (<200yd) shots.

The HK config sight is here (http://www.samson-mfg.com/ar-15_html/pr ... S-SIG.html)
and my rear sight is here (http://www.samson-mfg.com/ar-15_html/pr ... -PLUS.html)

Mounting the front sight took about 10 minutes.
In the photos I show how I did it.
-Remove the front gas block, using a vice, punch out the front sight metal holder.
-slide (by hand and some oil) the Samson front sight in.
-replace gas block via hex screw.

My Sig rifle specs on the rear rail are the smallest of all my guns, other rifles I have and other mounts spec out at 21.25 average, whereas the width on the Sig is 20.67, making it a little thin for some rear sights, they may wobble a bit if you cant clamp em down. Other Picatinny or Stanag mounts work with all my sights tested. Not sure about Sigs rails.

I test fired the rifle and with the front sight to the lowest setting I was still hitting about 6" low at 50yds, I assume at 100yds it'd be about a foot low. I am going to take a metal file to the front sight post (AR type of post, easily replaced) and file it down to a real low setting then work with that to zero it again.

I then put on a SuperSniper 10x to test the capability with average Red Box Federal500 bullet bulk .22. You can see my groups at 50yds with it. It did ok in a slight 3mph crosswind.
I handed my rifle over to some guys next to me while I sighted in other ones and they shot off about 500rds and only had one failure to fire, probably the ammo, not the gun.

Overall, the rifle, the sights and the blackdog magazines performed and are made VERY well. I am recommending this rifle to my friends and it's now my top 22 semi-auto to shoot.

CONS: Sig doesn't sell it with sights, a let down, but I assume most will put optics on it anyways. I prefer iron sights. The front gas block may be canted a bit depending on how the hex screw meets the barrel. The rear rail is a bit thin on its width measurements.

PROS: Metal receiver, AWESOME light trigger, flawless feeding and function, standard folding stock, lightweight, threaded barrel for suppressors, easy to find blackdog(ceiner type) mags to shoot with it. (buy the blackdog loader tool also).

The threads are PROBABLY 1x28 standard AR. I just dont know how much weight the barrel can handle for a suppressor.

All in all, my rifle was $450 retail, with tax, $480. The sights will be $200 or $100 for the front only. Mags are about $25. Not as cheap as a $100 22 bolt action, but a VERY fun semi-auto for those Sig Fans.

(reposted in case you guys dont visit rimfire forums)
REMY
(now saving $$$ for a suppressor for it, wait a few more months for that review :) )

MAGShttp://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=916771

<BR>
Black
Silent But Deadly

Post by Black »

I've been considering picking one of these up and might get those sights. Thanks for the awesome review!
"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire

[url=http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj315/Montaska/Firearms/]My Photobucket[/url]
the1mavin
Silent But Deadly

Post by the1mavin »

Thanks for the review and info.

Did you pick it up locally for that price or order it? I've seen a few around here and dealer are marking them up to ridiculous prices.
Remy1492
Silent Operator

Post by Remy1492 »

I got mine at Academy, retail. We usually get dealer pricing but to be a Sig Dealer you gotta spend big.
C-130E/H-1
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Post by chingon »

Sig has my 522, extractor blew out at first range trip :evil:
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I was just about to pick one up when my neighbor's 522 extractor broke too. I going to wait until they got the bugs worked out.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Post by chingon »

To the OP,
Those sights do look good. I went the cheap way and bought some Knights Arm. clones from China. I mounted both on the top rail, they are close together and look unconventional, however, they are further apart than the back up irons on top of an ACOG or on top of the optic on an AUG/STG.
They are back up to a red dot.

I also had the same problem with the folding stock lock mechanism, I called Sig and they told me to "shave some off the male end"
As a cheap fix to keep the locking piece from coming out of the stock I placed a small piece of wooden dowel between the lock on the other side of the stock. It puts pressure on the locks keeping that part in the stock.
I'd post a pic, but Sig has my rifle.
After the extractor broke I called them and wanted them to send me the parts, they said they had not "heard" of this problem and wanted the gun, they emailed me a UPS shipping label and I boxed it up.
I was very angry at the whole ordeal. I had only test fired the rifle in the garage with my cans, the extractor broke in about 12 rounds at the range while I was zeroing my sights. I was using Rem 550 bulk pack.
I asked Sig for some sort of compensation for the inconvenience; mag, t-shirt etc.. I told them hell even Hi Point gives you a free mag every time you have to send a firearm in. We'll see what their response is.
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Ive run about 2000 rounds though mine so far. Hasnt skipped a beat even with the 50 round black dog drum. Picked up the SIG front end rails and I'm going to put a laser in the front sight gas block recess and trigger it off a vertical fore grip.