Ruger Mark II question

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

chingon
Silent But Deadly

Ruger Mark II question

Post by chingon »

Just took my 22/45 Mark II to the range to sight in a red dot. It was balls on at 25 yards, however, when I was shooting at closer ranges 5-12 yards it was about 3.5'' low. This was with Federal 510 Champion (40 grain Solid) and Remington subsonic (38 grain HP).
Is this "normal" ?
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

How long of a barrel? Sounds about right though, especially if its a shorter barrel that wouldnt send bulk ammo supersonic to begin with. (I.E the subsonic ammo is coming out even slower)

I have to do a 6-7" hold under on my 10/22 when I move in from 100 yards to 50-60 or so, and thats using high velocity ammo from a 16" barrel. I like to put out some cheap tennis balls and shoot at them, so I have to chase them out to the 100 yard line, and my point of aim shifts a lot as they move out.

My friend was shooting my M1A and one time he must have hit directly under the ball because it got launched 20 feet into the air straight up. He was shooting it at a target, and I guess he decided the tennis ball looked like more fun, and he did it on the first round. I was all "WTF?" at first because I shot at damn near the same time .
Ron of Va
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ron of Va »

It sounds a little excessive to me, but I wouldn't worry about it. You need to be mindful that the red dot sits above the barrel a certain distance.

So the red dot line of sight starts out at about 1.5 inches above the bore of the barrel. As you currently have the gun set up, the trajectory of the bullet and the line of sight cross at 25 yards. So theoretically the path of the bullet is climbing towards the line of sight, and the path should never be lower than the height of the red dot, until it reaches the utmost height of the arc of the bullet, then it will begin to drop.
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Post by chingon »

Ron of Va wrote:It sounds a little excessive to me, but I wouldn't worry about it. You need to be mindful that the red dot sits above the barrel a certain distance.

So the red dot line of sight starts out at about 1.5 inches above the bore of the barrel. As you currently have the gun set up, the trajectory of the bullet and the line of sight cross at 25 yards. So theoretically the path of the bullet is climbing towards the line of sight, and the path should never be lower than the height of the red dot, until it reaches the utmost height of the arc of the bullet, then it will begin to drop.
I can understand what you are saying. So, If I remove the red dot and the irons are zeroed at 25 yards, will the rounds hit at point of aim at closer distances.
The Ruger has a 5.5 ''bull barrel. Thanks for the responses
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
Ron of Va
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ron of Va »

chingon wrote:
Ron of Va wrote:It sounds a little excessive to me, but I wouldn't worry about it. You need to be mindful that the red dot sits above the barrel a certain distance.

I can understand what you are saying. So, If I remove the red dot and the irons are zeroed at 25 yards, will the rounds hit at point of aim at closer distances.
The Ruger has a 5.5 ''bull barrel. Thanks for the responses
A red dot will always be more accurate that iron sights. If it were me, I would leave the red dot on the gun. If you tend to shoot a lot at closer ranges than 25 yards, I would zero at 15 and see how that works for you.

You still will have to be mindful of the trajectory of the bullet, because all bullets travel in an arc, and no zero works at all distances.
silverbulletexpress
Silent But Deadly

Post by silverbulletexpress »

If you have a 40mm or larger red dot or extra high rings this will be normal. If you look at the height of the center of the tube of the sight above the center of the bore that is how low it will shoot up close until the bore line intersects with the line of sight.

If you zero it for close range it will be very high at 25yds, it's the same affect as you have with carry handle mounted sights on Ar15's.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785