Suppressed 10/22 factory mag MRBF

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

finn
Silent But Deadly

Suppressed 10/22 factory mag MRBF

Post by finn »

I find shooting suppressed gunks up the factory mags to 100% failure rate within ~300 rounds. Is this normal? Is there a way to slow this down or should i just buy more mags? I currently use a little bit of hoppes 9 after cleaning them.
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

The factory mags are notoriously reliable if kept clean. They can be fully disassembled for cleaning, which should restore proper function.

As far as slowing down the round count before they need service I recommend trying different ammo.

If you are unwilling to change to a cleaner ammo extra mags may be the solution to ensure you can enjoy a malfunction-free high-round-count range session.
finn
Silent But Deadly

Post by finn »

I absolutely clean them, but it is so easy to shoot $10 worth of ammo through one mag, and frustrating to have it die at the range.
I'll try some more scientific ammo testing next time i go. There was a mix of rem golden bullet value pack, rem subsonic, and fed 750 value pack.
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Post by chingon »

CCI is cleaner
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
finn
Silent But Deadly

Post by finn »

Against ruger's recommendation and popular opinion i started dumping hoppes in my mags before i initially load them out of frustration. It is working so far. They at least make it through one range session. The sludge that comes out of them when i clean them afterwards is ridiculous. I would think a 12" barrel would run cleaner than standard length barrels. Just another reason why bolt actions are better. :wink:
AgentAdam
Senior Silent Operator

Post by AgentAdam »

I would try a dry lube like rem dry-lube or graphite powder.

You also might want to back off the screw. If its to tight it will bind the rotor.
finn
Silent But Deadly

Post by finn »

Interesting thought. I had considered over-tightening the spring.
AgentAdam wrote:If it's too tight it will bind the rotor.
AgentAdam
Senior Silent Operator

Post by AgentAdam »

There are better lubes out there for plastic on plastic. Its the rotor binding with the housing. I'm no expert but plastics call for something like silicon,lithium,teflon,graphite,ect.

I would stay away form a liquid or grease though and the housing plate screw only needs to be finger tight and then maby even 1/4 turn loose.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

I use dryphite because it wont turn to mud like wet lubes.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=960498