personal check or money order for payment?

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Eagle1*
Silent But Deadly

personal check or money order for payment?

Post by Eagle1* »

Which form of payment should I use for my $200.00 tax stamp payment to the ATF? :?
In God we trust, all others are checked through NCIC!
Baboon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baboon »

Personal check so you can start counting months after it clears.
Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Baboon wrote:Personal check so you can start counting months after it clears.
Yep.
NFAtalk.org
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

If you use a personal check, you can see it clear the bank, and that will give you some sort of idea that everything arrived OK and the process is starting.
Money Orders will cost a little extra to get (depending on USPS fees, you bank fees, etc.)
Eagle1*
Silent But Deadly

Post by Eagle1* »

Well then why did my dealer say to get a money order?
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

He probably thinks that they process them faster, that they "wait for the check to clear"
That thinking is not correct though, they do not wait for the check to clear before processing.
Baboon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baboon »

Your going to s--t when you see how quick it clears. Then your most likely to become depressed waiting. Be sure your dealer checks the box so you can check on it's progress with ATF.
Eagle1*
Silent But Deadly

Post by Eagle1* »

Baboon wrote:Your going to s--t when you see how quick it clears. Then your most likely to become depressed waiting. Be sure your dealer checks the box so you can check on it's progress with ATF.
what box, I have my signed form 4's in my possession right now. I think you mean that they should have circled the "I Do" part correct?
Baboon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baboon »

Eagle1* wrote:
Baboon wrote:Your going to s--t when you see how quick it clears. Then your most likely to become depressed waiting. Be sure your dealer checks the box so you can check on it's progress with ATF.
what box, I have my signed form 4's in my possession right now. I think you mean that they should have circled the "I Do" part correct?
That's it.
joshrunkle35
Silent But Deadly

Post by joshrunkle35 »

Eagle1* wrote:Well then why did my dealer say to get a money order?
Because if your check ever bounces you're in deep s--t. Since it's over $100, it would be a federal felony.

I never bounce checks, and I used personal checks for my first few transfers, but now I use "counter-checks" from the bank. You can still check to see when they clear, but the funds are paid up front, and the bank is responsible for them, not you.

Here's the thing: what if they lose your check, you forget about it, and they cash it several months later, and it's that once-in-a lifetime situation where you don't have the funds to cover it?

Most likely you'll never bounce a check. Most likely if you did, it wouldn't be to the federal government while paying your taxes. ($200) Most likely, they'd call you if you did, and have you write out a new check, or cancel your application...

...but...this is the federal government we're talking about. At first chance, they'll shoot your wife and F--k your dog. ...and I'm not going to let a check be the reason for that.
So the Libyan Fable is told
That once an eagle, stricken with a dart,
Said, when he saw the fashion of the shaft,
"With our own feathers, not by others' hands,
Are we now smitten."
-Anton Myrer, Once an Eagle
rileym21

Post by rileym21 »

"...but...this is the federal government we're talking about. At first chance, they'll shoot your wife and F--k your dog. ...and I'm not going to let a check be the reason for that."

I laughed about this for quite a while.
RedArgon
Silent Operator

Post by RedArgon »

Shoot your wife and F--k your dog... LOL

I just sent in my form 4 with a money order. The only thing I was concerned about was if the money order got lost in the mail, but I'm pretty sure you can keep the receipt and the post office reimburses you.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

RedArgon wrote:Shoot your wife and F--k your dog... LOL

I just sent in my form 4 with a money order. The only thing I was concerned about was if the money order got lost in the mail, but I'm pretty sure you can keep the receipt and the post office reimburses you.
yep but it's a pain - and you can check on when the MoneyOrder goes thru.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
BWPerdue
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWPerdue »

But only after 30 days from issuance.

I did a check the first time and a MO the second, both sent certified mail. The second time, the USPS screwed up the cert. mail and never got signature confirmation, nor was I able to track it via the tracking number. I was very nervous about where my forms and money had gotten to from Dec. 2 until Jan. 15, when, after having called BATFE several times, I finally discovered that it had gone to my examiner. A check would have let me know that it had arrived safely sooner.
RedArgon
Silent Operator

Post by RedArgon »

I'll just cross my fingers that the money order works out okay then I guess.

How long should I wait before I give the ATF a call to check on my paperwork?
Baboon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baboon »

90 days.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

I bounced a check to the ATF once. Grabbed the wrong check book. At processing time the examiner called me and I apologized profusely and sent the right check out. End of story.
BWPerdue
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWPerdue »

Baboon wrote:90 days.
When I've called, especially this last time, I was told I should wait 30 days before expecting to be in the system where I would show up in their computer.
Baboon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baboon »

BWPerdue wrote:
When I've called, especially this last time, I was told I should wait 30 days before expecting to be in the system where I would show up in their computer.
I'll bet once the check clears it goes pending. Approved is the only thing you really care about. A buddy just picked up a suppressor last week right @ 90 days. As was his the month before.
BWPerdue
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWPerdue »

Like I mentioned above, it got in their system on Dec 15, so I'm not worried - I'll just wait it out for another couple months. I'm just glad it got there and pissed at the PO for messing up the cert. letter so badly.
SigOwner
Silent But Deadly

Post by SigOwner »

Baboon wrote:
BWPerdue wrote:
I'll bet once the check clears it goes pending. Approved is the only thing you really care about. A buddy just picked up a suppressor last week right @ 90 days. As was his the month before.
Not really. From my experience you'll go pending about 1 month after the check clears.

Last time I did it (sent in April) the checks were cashed April 24th I think and I went pending May 28th.
BWPerdue
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWPerdue »

That was my experience the first time, this time last year. It seems to also be the case from the timeline I put together mentally for my second form described above, although I have no firm proof of when the MO was cashed, just when I sent it and when it went pending.
Baboon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baboon »

I can tell you this the only thing worse the waiting on the ATF is waiting on a gunsmith.
BWPerdue
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWPerdue »

Truth.
rileym21

Post by rileym21 »

Sent in my form 1 on January 28, recently received it back in the mail on April 16. Just an FYI for you guys. It arrived much quicker than I thought.