Remember, folks...GO THE TRUST ROUTE!!!!!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

joshrunkle35 wrote: ATF says: "Must be taken by a person qualified to do so." I guess you could somehow make the argument that you're qualified to do so.
ATF says a lot of things that are not backed up by the force of law. They can request that you have the Queen of England do your fingerprints if they want. But there is no law saying that you have to use the Queen.

They also don't define what a "qualified person" is.

I have always had mine done at the local sheriff's dept. However, I know of several people who have rolled their own prints and had no problems. For that matter, I have heard of people getting the police-done prints rejected for smudges.
joshrunkle35
Silent But Deadly

Post by joshrunkle35 »

Garrett wrote:
joshrunkle35 wrote: ATF says: "Must be taken by a person qualified to do so." I guess you could somehow make the argument that you're qualified to do so.
ATF says a lot of things that are not backed up by the force of law.
...and they could probably decline your application for a lot of reasons not backed up by the force of law.

This is like the soup nazi situation from Seinfeld. You shut up, keep you head down, take two steps to the left and put your money on top of the counter.

If you don't do it their way, they won't let you play.

...That is, until you find a broken wardrobe in the trash that accidentally has some of their recipes in it.
So the Libyan Fable is told
That once an eagle, stricken with a dart,
Said, when he saw the fashion of the shaft,
"With our own feathers, not by others' hands,
Are we now smitten."
-Anton Myrer, Once an Eagle
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

I dropped off the forms but the sheriff was out that day. I picked them up the next day, no issues.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
delmccormick
Silent But Deadly

Post by delmccormick »

Here Sheriff signs off while you wait, no charge. Have an alarm company do the prints for $6, and Costco do the photos for a few bucks. Whole process takes less than 2 hours including the driving, BSing, and gawking at Costco. Of course if you have a stack of photos and print cards done in advance, it takes about 15 minutes to go to the Sheriff's and then back to the dealer.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Baboon wrote:The bad thing about LEO sign offs are if the politics of the office change. A buddy of mine who worked for the sheriffs office went through this. 3 visits from the ATF, all telling him it's all legal.
BINGO!

If it's working now, that's great, I hope it always stays that way, but the next CLEO could tell you to get bent.

No thanks, why risk it?

Trust route for me is as simple as hitting print, writing a check and signing both Form 4s.
NFAtalk.org
camoxjeep
Silent But Deadly

Post by camoxjeep »

Here in Madison County, Kentucky I walked in and asked the Chief of Police and he said sure, he did my fingerprints and signed off and was out in under 10 minutes.
Quote from RSilvers "1:8 is the new 1:10"

PETA - People Enjoying Tasty Animals
Airborne - Because life's too short to be a leg...
TypeR632
Silent But Deadly

Post by TypeR632 »

I know of someone who had a stack of signed form 4s. It's good to know people in high places. It would be great to know an examiner.
SWR Spectre
SWR TRIDENT
AAC 762SD
AAC TITAN
GoodOlDave
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GoodOlDave »

ArevaloSOCOM wrote:A. Cop bashing! Maybe even Cyber LEO Bullying! How dare you question him? WTF is wrong with you? You think you are special or something, he owes you a CLEO sign off?
I hope you're saying this tongue in cheek, becuase, yes, actually, I *do* think he owes me a CLEO signoff (if I have a clean record), OR a suitable explanation for why I'm declined (if I don't). So sayeth the detective at the CT state police weapons division, who I had called immediately after my conversation with the putz lieutenant...and yet he gave me neither. No, the detective said, refusing to sign off on a form 4 entirely becuase he doesn't want to sign form 4s is not a legitimate reason for refusal.

...and to any non-putz police officers here who take umbrage at my calling this cop a putz, consider this- when was the last time you've ever heard of a police officer who won't explain to someone what they're doing wrong unless (and I quote), "he was subpoenad and brought before a judge"? The last I checked, it was specifically the job of the police to let people know if they're doing somethign wrong. I think I read that in a book somewhere.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

GoodOlDave wrote:
ArevaloSOCOM wrote:A. Cop bashing! Maybe even Cyber LEO Bullying! How dare you question him? WTF is wrong with you? You think you are special or something, he owes you a CLEO sign off?
I hope you're saying this tongue in cheek, becuase, yes, actually, I *do* think he owes me a CLEO signoff (if I have a clean record), OR a suitable explanation for why I'm declined (if I don't). So sayeth the detective at the CT state police weapons division, who I had called immediately after my conversation with the putz lieutenant...and yet he gave me neither. No, the detective said, refusing to sign off on a form 4 entirely becuase he doesn't want to sign form 4s is not a legitimate reason for refusal.

...and to any non-putz police officers here who take umbrage at my calling this cop a putz, consider this- when was the last time you've ever heard of a police officer who won't explain to someone what they're doing wrong unless (and I quote), "he was subpoenad and brought before a judge"? The last I checked, it was specifically the job of the police to let people know if they're doing somethign wrong. I think I read that in a book somewhere.
Yes and No.

I am making fun of alot of things in that statement.

Realitically though, I don't agree with the officer and I don't agree with you.

He doesn't have to do anything you ask.........I mean, that's why default you are "asking".

This has been hashed out by manginas filled with sand in sandy courtrooms and the ruling is the same everytime.

The CLEO doesn't have to sign, he doesn't own you a reason, he doesn't own you a signature, regardless of how much taxes you pay, how great you are, how non-violent you are, etc.....

Now, if you knew me on this board, my defending the CLEO like this is very unusual, but I do becasue if someone's right, he's right. I don't care if he's a LEO or not. He doesn't have to sign.

That doesn't mean I agree with him, and of course he's a douchbag for not signing, but way too many NFA guys get caught up in getting a CLEO signature and have made up thier minds on why he should sign. It's all simply not relevant.
NFAtalk.org
dtgman227
Senior Silent Operator

Post by dtgman227 »

No drama here in Spotsylvania VA. Drop it off one day, courtesy call informing you it is signed the next business day. No charge for fingerprints or for signing. I like the idea of me owning it personally, but I know there are some advantages of going the trust route, especially in bad CLEO areas.
echo_5

Post by echo_5 »

I'm also in Connecticut. Norwich.

I must be the first one in Norwich to own any class III on a form4.
On the day I dropped it off, I called for status.
The chief's secretary said they were doing a background check.

Me: "On me?"
Her: "No. On the form."
Me: "Oh. Well the chief is just signing off that the item is not illegal in his jurisdiction. The FBI will do a check on me."
Her: " Oh. OK. It will be ready in under an hour."
Me: "Thank you."

Norwich is easy.
Legalize Freedom!

Silent Army