Reloading Subsonic 9mm Load Data ?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

turboek
Silent Operator

Reloading Subsonic 9mm Load Data ?

Post by turboek »

by chance could any of you guys point me in the right direction..

pushing a 147g Hornady XTP with 3.3g of Hodgdon Tite Group . they functioned fine but want tinker with a subsonic loading.. anyone have any experience with hodgdon tite group and subsonic ammo.. ?? i've heard trailboss ?
COD4 tag= suppressedAR
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I use N340. I found this very helpful
viewtopic.php?t=43652
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

dtom29 wrote:I use N340. I found this very helpful
viewtopic.php?t=43652
Thank you. I just ordered 10 pounds of Accurate Powders last night. ONE DAY LATE! But I will keep my eyes open for N340.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Re: Reloading Subsonic 9mm Load Data ?

Post by wildfowler »

turboek wrote:by chance could any of you guys point me in the right direction..

pushing a 147g Hornady XTP with 3.3g of Hodgdon Tite Group . they functioned fine but want tinker with a subsonic loading.. anyone have any experience with hodgdon tite group and subsonic ammo.. ?? i've heard trailboss ?
3.3 grains may be a little low in velocity if you're hoping for maximum subsonic power. That load should be subsonic by a good margin. I've experimented with Titegroup/Hornady XTP for my 16 inch AR-15. Very accurate results with load just a tad above max published load. (I don't advocate such, but I did lengthen the OAL to keep the pressure safe) 1.5 - 2 inch multi-shot groups with iron sights at 50 yards tickles me to death. I have not been able to get quickload to spit out accurate PSI info for Titegroup. I think my load is just barely into +P range using 1.155 OAL instead of 1.1 from Hodgdon. I'm not going to tell my exact load.

Chronographed out of an unsuppressed Beretta pistol avg 950 fps.
Chronographed out of my rifle avg 1025-1050 fps.

I'm also getting very good results with Unique and same bullet. Not quite as good groups as the Titegroup, but darn near it. 4.2 grains Unique = 1000-1050 FPS from my rifle. Never tried it through the pistol. 2 - 3 inch groups at same distance. Minute of varmint for sure. I got the Unique load here: http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/defau ... er&Source=

Use at your own risk. Quickload confirms the PSI on this page. I feel safe with it.

I've not yet tried to stagger these rounds alternately in the magazine to see if I could "hear" the difference with my Trident9. They both sound fine to me. Damn quiet when I'm standing about 15 feet away from the rifle when someone else shoots it. I'm going to stick with the Unique until I burn through it all.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Wahoo95
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahoo95 »

My favorite 9mm subsonic loads:

147gr
3.9gr N340
3.4gr Titegroup
4.2gr Unique

115gr
4.2gr Ramshot ZIP

My 9mm AR loves this load!
Go Hoos!!!!
Derf
Silent But Deadly

Post by Derf »

I'm using 3.3gr of TiteGroup with Hornady 147FMJ. I have not run them thru the chrono, but they funtion fine.
I also tried 3gr and they function fine thru my 4" XD9 w/Trident as well. Only reason i use the 3.3 is because thats the lowest my Lee charge disk will go for my Pro1000. i could get the adj charge bar, but these work fine and are quiet.
Ray Barnes
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ray Barnes »

I've been using these loads for many years and have not been able to improve upon them:

Rem 147 gr RN FMJ 5.0 grains AA#5
Rem 147 gr RN FMJ 5.0 grains Vitavuori 3n37

I've recently switched to Hornady 147 gr RN FMJ encapuslated (no exposed lead base).

OAL of these loads is 1.142"

From my experience the Vitavuori powder is a little cleaner burning than the Accurate Arms.

I have used Hornady 147 Gr XP hollowpoint bullets as well. I prefer round nose because I have a few 9mm silencers that utilize polyurethane wipes.
Beretta Steel
Silent But Deadly

Post by Beretta Steel »

n320 is actually a faster burining powder, I have tried both N340 and N320 in my Trident/ 226 combo. The N320 was quieter to my ear, or at least had a more pleasant tone. N340 is awesome dont get me wrong the difference is by no means night and day, but when I alternated my mag with loads of both powders the N320 was more pleasant.

I THINK I use 3.6-3.8gn of N320 over a precision delta 147gn 9mm. Verify that data before using.
JMC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JMC »

I have to stand by my initial comments listed in the link above.

Also, I had tried the 5.0 gr. AA #5 load with a 147 gr. R-P FMJ bullet long before trying the VV powders. This was a match load for me in a G17L pistol.

Way too much blowback with a lot of stinging to the face! :shock: I stopped using them in my suppressed guns.

Any of the following should work well for you, they do in my setup using an AR platform, 5" TROS bbl. with Trident-9 attached.

Rem. 147 gr. FMJ Match grade bullet (because I have a lot on hand)
R-P primed brass (because I had a lot on hand)
1.110 +- COL

3.5 gr. VV N320 - 929.5 fps avg. 10 rds.

3.9 gr. VV N320 - 1023.7 fps avg. 10 rds. - MAX load as per VV/Lapua
data.

A 3.2 gr. load which is only .1 gr. above min., will not function/cycle any of my guns.

I have settled on the 3.9 gr. load as my standard for use in my AR SBR as well as a handgun load that functions 100% thru my SIG 226, G17 and Walther P99 all with the Trident-9 attached. It is also very quiet.

I have found N320 to be VERY clean burning, accurate with little blowback.

N330 also works very well with the same 147 gr. bullet but with a tad more velocity.

4.3 gr. VV N330 - 1001.4 fps avg. 10 rds.

As a side note, adding a Hahn 8 oz. buffer to my AR, the 3.9 gr. N320 load seems quieter, most likely due to the bolt staying closed a millisecond longer and what little blowback there was, is gone.
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

can yall make a list of where you are buying your components from? i am gonna get into reloading, and would like to know where to get the crap....thanks
its quiet time!
bigbigpig
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigbigpig »

Powder Valley Inc - powdervalleyinc.com
Wideners - wideners.com
Midway USA - midwayusa.com

The haz-mat components I get from the local gun show that comes every 3 months. Georgia Arms usually has a table and I get primers from them. Other vendors will have powder. If you get these locally you don't have to pay a haz-mat shipping fee, which is pretty expensive. The bullets I get online for the best price.
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

thanks. so does anyone have 147 fmj instock?
its quiet time!
bigbigpig
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigbigpig »

saltydecimator wrote:thanks. so does anyone have 147 fmj instock?
I haven't been able to find any in a long time. I guess just put in an order and get on the backorder list. Such as this although I doubt they'll be able to keep the 2/1 date:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... 1165273691

The last batch of 9mm bullets I bought was from Powder Valley; I bought Zero 147gr FMJ. It worked out to be about $60 per 1000. I'm very happy with the Zero bullets and will buy them again when they're available.
Wahoo95
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahoo95 »

I just got 2k from Precision delta
Go Hoos!!!!
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Wahoo95 wrote:I just got 2k from Precision delta
My last order was from them as well.

Chris