Whats your favorite varmint Bullet and why

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Whats your favorite varmint Bullet and why

Post by gunguy »

I'm just getting into varmint hunting and i use a .308 and a .223. I shot a nice coyote with a 155 grain berger that went clean in and out. What do you guys recommend for my .223?
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Hornady V-max is great.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

I have been hunting coyotes for about 15 years and have killed them with everything from the 22 lr in a handgun to the 308 winchester.

In those 15 years i have probably killed 150 or so give or take with the longest shot being at 200 yards and the shortest being 16 feet. Average shot distance in my hunting experience runs about 40 yards. Of course YMMV and probably will.

I've used every type of high end polymer tipped rifle bullet and will say that they all perform well; but if you shoot enough of any bullet, you will have some of all brands fail at one time or another.

Here in the last few years I have shifted from the premium polymer tipped bullets to lower end soft points and hollow points and have been really suprised as performance is equal to or better (at times) than the higher end bullets.

My favorite of these lower end bullets are as follows:

My all time favorite bullet:

A few pics of the terminal effect of these bullets:

Hornady 223 55 grain spire point 25.5 grains H4895

Winchester 75 grain Hollow Point 39 grains H4895

For comparisons sake these 3 were killed on the same stand (a triple) with a savage in 204 ruger with factory 32 grain ballistic tips:

What you my find interesting is that the holes you see are all entrance holes, the 32 grai bullets did not exit.

All my pics of coyotes shot with the 308 are not digital :roll: .

All these animals dropped dead on the spot.

I usually tell guys you can't go wrong with the premium polymer tipped bullets (VMAX, Ballistic Tip, Bltz King etc) but don't discount the Hollow Point/Soft Point projectiles as they will perform as well or better as the higher end projectiles.
Last edited by ATCDoktor on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Hornady v max if less than 700 yards. if I'm going past that I use Serria Matchkings. (I have hit a prairie dog at 1610 yards.)
Last edited by jimmym40a2 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

ATC, awsome pics. I like my .308 for coyotes,that is the only one i've shot. I think i'm going to try some vmax next time out. Thanks for the replies.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
Hellrazor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hellrazor »

Another vote for Hornady V-max
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

58 grains of H4350 behind a 75 grain Vmax in a .25-06. I hit a badger in the head, and there was no exit hole. Tears squirrels apart.

But in general Vmax are the best in my experience. That 32 grain .204 completely disintegrates upon impact
generaldisarray
Silent But Deadly

Post by generaldisarray »

Does anyone have an opinion on Barnes Varmit Grenade?
Hellrazor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hellrazor »

generaldisarray wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on Barnes Varmit Grenade?
I don't have any personal experience with them, but have heard they have accuracy issues - not an issue you would like to have with small targets. But remember, I HAVE NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with these, so take it as hearsay.
drdog

Post by drdog »

My fav for my 22-250 Ackley is the Combined technologies 55gr. It's a nosler ballistic tip boat tail moly coated. I shoot 1/4 MOA at 3800fps. It has laid over every critter I've ever hit with it without them even twitching. Plus it hasn't really tore up the hide and I've been able to get some nice pelts recovered.
Derf
Silent But Deadly

Post by Derf »

Hellrazor wrote:
generaldisarray wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on Barnes Varmit Grenade?
I don't have any personal experience with them, but have heard they have accuracy issues - not an issue you would like to have with small targets. But remember, I HAVE NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with these, so take it as hearsay.
I shot around 1200 of the 36gr. Half from a 22-250 and the other from a 223. They went exactly where i pointed them, awsome accuracy. Had praire dog hits out to 500 yards with the 22-250.
My only complant is the terminal performance. Had alot of dogs crawl away and im sure die in their hole. Not what im looking for.
They just didnt seem to have the explosive impact a Vmax, Nos BT, or any of the of the HP's on the market.
Im gonna try the Speer 52gr HP or Seirra 55gr Game King HPs (BlitzKings w/o the polymer tip) on my next trip.

For what its worth, the 22-250 was pushing around 3850fps and the 223 was around 3600fps.