Problems with necks splitting?

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Problems with necks splitting?

Post by Bowen1911 »

So I purchased 3 boxes of hornady 32 gr. vmax, factory loaded ammo, for my .204 Ruger. I then have reloaded the cases 4 times, using starting loads (groups around .5 MOA on a bad group), and only neck sizing. After the 4th firing, 27 of 60 cases have split necks. I thought Hornady had higher quality brass than that.

My .25-06 with full power loads have gone upwards of 15 loadings with cheap brass, and no signs of wear, even on the cases i have cut through.

My 300 win mag gets FL sized, and that brass lasts 10 loads with a pretty high power load.

So I am wondering what the hell!?!?!
jmorris
Silent But Deadly

Post by jmorris »

Innovative

Post by Innovative »

+1

That's a very good article! Small diameter case necks are most prone to cracking. If the neck is not hard it will always stretch. When they get hard enough they will crack. You can tell when the necks get hard by the way it feels when seating the bullets.

- Innovative
Our website is devoted to helping shooters make the best handloads possible. Visit www.larrywillis.com