357 Subonic Reloading

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

bgrayd
Silent But Deadly

357 Subonic Reloading

Post by bgrayd »

Looking for reloading subsonic 357 using 158gr Berry's and Bullseye.

I will be using this with a Marlin lever action (1894) and of course, a suppressor.

any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Brett D
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Because you are using a longer barrel, I would try these loads without
a can to make sure the load is enough to push the bullet out your barrel and shoot through paper to check for keyholes.

8.3 grns AA #7 with Hornady 180 XTP
8.4 grns AA #7 with Hornady 158 XTP
Both loads give me 1040 fps out of a 10 inch barrel TC Contender
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

Check out the Alliant powder site. You may have to use the 38 Special regular or +P loads to get in your velocity range. Also, you may find this link interesting: ballisticsbytheinch.com

Just checked the Lee manual. Under +P 38 they're starting with 3.6 gr of Bullseye with 158 gr lead for about 900 fps up to 3.8 gr for 945 fps. May be a little faster out of your longer barrel. Berry's are plated right? May be slightly different.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

I would just use .38 special loads that use slower burning pistol powders. Load up a range of expected velocities, and fire from fastest to slowest, you will hear once you drop below the speed of sound. then stick with that load if it is accurate.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

Bowen1911 wrote:I would just use .38 special loads that use slower burning pistol powders.
With suppressors you typically want to use the faster powders. The reason being that you need less of a faster powder to get the same velocity, as compared to a slower powder.

Less powder equates to less gas volume for the can to deal with. With a few exceptions, most cans will sound quieter with less gas volume.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

Garrett wrote:
Bowen1911 wrote:I would just use .38 special loads that use slower burning pistol powders.
With suppressors you typically want to use the faster powders. The reason being that you need less of a faster powder to get the same velocity, as compared to a slower powder.

Less powder equates to less gas volume for the can to deal with. With a few exceptions, most cans will sound quieter with less gas volume.

You do have a point, But the lack of gas from fast powders could cause a risk of a bullet not making it out of the barrel. If the fast powder gets it to exit just fine, then yes I would go with that. I have had problems with 9mm carbines and handloads not having enough gas to exit the barrel. A slower powder cleared that problem right up
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

Bowen1911 wrote:I have had problems with 9mm carbines and handloads not having enough gas to exit the barrel. A slower powder cleared that problem right up
Would you mind giving me an example of something to avoid? I'm currently loading for 9mm in a 16 inch AR15.

4.2 grains of Unique under a Hornady 147 XTP gives me about 1025-1040 FPS. (About 950 out of a pistol)

Thanks.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

wildfowler wrote:
Bowen1911 wrote:I have had problems with 9mm carbines and handloads not having enough gas to exit the barrel. A slower powder cleared that problem right up
Would you mind giving me an example of something to avoid? I'm currently loading for 9mm in a 16 inch AR15.

4.2 grains of Unique under a Hornady 147 XTP gives me about 1025-1040 FPS. (About 950 out of a pistol)

Thanks.
well just a cheap hi point carbine wouldn't function with blue dot unless it was above max load. I switched to Universal, and now that is pretty much the only pistol powder I use. I might try to get some sub sonic .223's made up with Universal, but loading pistol powder in a rifle case is somewhere that I would tread extremely soft
DorikinGTSt
Silent But Deadly

Re: 357 Subonic Reloading

Post by DorikinGTSt »

Does anyone have a 900fps load for a 16" barrel using Hornady 180grn XTP and Red Dot? I have a Handi Rifle enroute.
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Re:

Post by Fulmen »

Bowen1911 wrote:But the lack of gas from fast powders could cause a risk of a bullet not making it out of the barrel. ... I have had problems with 9mm carbines and handloads not having enough gas to exit the barrel. A slower powder cleared that problem right up
Just to make a point, fast powders produce the same amount of gas as a slower one. The question is only whether you can get enough gas without exceeding the pressure limit. For 357/158grs VithuaVori N310 will be borderline and would require meticulous reloading practice. N320 should give ample safety margins, but you still should follow recommended safety practices when developing a load. Using N340 you should be 100% safe without paying any attention to pressure (assuming subsonic loads).
fistybum

Re: 357 Subsonic Reloading

Post by fistybum »

Ive got a Rossi 92 38/357 16" with a cobra m2.
I load mostly .38 special brass with 158gr lnfp Missouri cowboy bullet or 158gr lswc.
I started with trailboss, and even max listed load is nice and quiet.
Tried bullseye, 4gr is my load I settled on,a little louder than trailboss, but much hotter. 4.3gr of bullseye goes supersonic.
Last day of shooting I put in the first 357, a 125gr xtp on top of mid listed load h110. Blew the can off the barrel......... :shock: Broke the neilson device right in half......
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Re: 357 Subsonic Reloading

Post by Garrett »

fistybum wrote:Blew the can off the barrel......... :shock: Broke the neilson device right in half......
Danger - Danger!

You should never use a booster on a fixed-barrel gun. You are essentially turning the silencer into a slide-hammer on the end of your barrel. If they don't sell a fixed mount for the can, you should not use it on a fixed barrel gun.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Re: Re:

Post by wildfowler »

Fulmen wrote:Just to make a point, fast powders produce the same amount of gas as a slower one.
They do?

Is that on a grain for grain basis? Or do two rounds produce same amount of gas when loaded with enough of their respective powder to generate the equivalent velocity? Does either load sound different when suppressed? I'm thinking equivalent velocity loads (fast powder) might sound more quiet because there is a greater chance that the powder has completely burned before it reaches the suppressor.

I always wondered about this. Thanks.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George