HELP!!! Brand New Gemtech issue...

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

bikefreek
Silent But Deadly

Post by bikefreek »

any chance that blue "lube" is actually wire pulling gel? it really looks like its been shot to me you mentioned yellow specs... after i shoot my trident its full of small yellow pieces of unburnt powder. i think your dealer screwed ya and was shooting your can either on purpose or accident

edit: i cant for the life of me think why it would be packed with grease or anything from the factory. if your dealer is an authorized gemtech dealer maybe getting all 3 parties on the phone at the same time would be beneficial
Last edited by bikefreek on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

I have often wondered why suppressor manufacturers do not ship cans in more secure 'tamper resistant' packaging. That way you know you're getting one that's 'fresh' and hasn't been messed with yet.

I had an gun built and then shipped to a dealer. When I got there to inspect it/fill out paperwork, the original packaging was intact and everything was unopened. I commented. He said they always leave every box untouched so there would be no questions in case of damaged goods. Smart move I think. Then again, there's nothing to prevent the dealer from fingering your stuff while you wait on approval. Guess that's where the honesty & integrity part comes in to play.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
TX-Leo
Silent But Deadly

Post by TX-Leo »

Iansstud wrote:Damnit!!!!!

Im even more pissed!!!

The dealer I got it from said It was brand new, and I got a good deal on it and should be happy with it and It was not him...

Gemtech said that someone shot it with water in it, its not normal at all!!! and this is not how they come from the factory. It was never tested and it was not them....

My local transfer dealer said It just sat in the damn safe, they dident touch it and it was not them...

Gemtech wont email me back with a price on the spring or if they will even give me one.

At this point Im about to call gemtech and tell them the words I feel need to be said.

I basically I got Fucked the deal!!! and out of 3 companies No-one will own up and buy me a damn spring!!! I guess my next GD suppressor will be an AAC...
I'll let gemtech speak for themselves, but do not attempt to resolve an issue like this via email. You need to call them and ask. And, it's not their responsibility as I'm reading it so far.

Your dealer is responsible. Period. All my gemtech products have arrived clean as a whistle and theres no reason why yours did not arrive this way also. I think someone used it before you got it.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

TX-Leo wrote: I'll let gemtech speak for themselves, but do not attempt to resolve an issue like this via email. You need to call them and ask. And, it's not their responsibility as I'm reading it so far.

Your dealer is responsible. Period. All my gemtech products have arrived clean as a whistle and theres no reason why yours did not arrive this way also. I think someone used it before you got it.

The best advice...call gemtech.

All of my Gemtech cans were spotless, regardless if in stock or ordered. My guess is that someone test fired the can...either your dealer, and yes they will lie through there teeth, or Gemtech.
Eight
Silent But Deadly

Post by Eight »

My last Gemtech came in a sealed bag. Did yours? Maybe they aren't all like that.

And I've never bought a can that was shot by the manufacturer. Gemtech has no reason to shoot your can. They have plenty if they want to shoot.

Sounds like it happened after it left Gemtech, so they have no responsibility in the matter. If they replace the spring, good on them. If not, I wouldn't blame them.
Ray Barnes
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ray Barnes »

With the exception of the Gemtech SG9 silencer and recent Outback II's that come in a custom foam fitted box, every Gemtech silencer I have received from them over the past 12 years have been sealed in a polyethylene sleeve.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

You shot it and were happy with the results..I realize what your saying and your frustration..But honestly I don't understand your concern..The internals aren't damaged and the finish isn't damaged..

As for the spring I would not even give it a second thought..But call up Gemtech and ask to buy a new spring..I'm sure they will either send you one for free plus the cost of shipping or a few dollars plus shipping..The small amount of surface rust will not hurt anything if you can't find any naval jelly..

Look at it two ways..if you bought it to shoot its gonna get dirty..If you bought it to just look at leave the booster on and don't look inside it..then either way you'll be happy..

My dealer is super anal about even handling stuff..he won't even show me other peoples items that I would like to see because he doesn't have it in stock..Everything I have that waits there I tell him to use it to demo it..I mean worst case it would see maybe 100 rounds with him..Everything of mine that he has shot for people he puts 5 rounds through it..

I really had to twist his arm to get him to even demo my stuff..I had to make the point about how many rounds do you think are gonna go through it when I get home with it..My Kodiak for example he shot for a total of 10 times with two potential customers..When I got to take it home it saw 250 rounds in 10 minutes..its seen 2000 rounds on 3 different hosts in less than 2 weeks now and I have the same feeling about cold weather as most Republicans do about our current President..Point being its to cold for me to even really play with these toys yet..

If your not gonna shoot it you can send it back to Gemtech and have them clean up the internals before you put it back into your safe..It should have been in a sealed bag when you picked it up like was said..

Basically what I'm saying is your in no way "fucked"..What Gemtech means by it not being normal is that the way it looks is other than it should..They do send that particular can packed with grease..There was a thread here not long ago showing one that came in that way..Not sure why it was a surprise given it is a wet can..

I still think they just finished off an old tube of grease that had seperated and had some water in it..
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Iansstud wrote:Well I shot it yesterday... Sounds great!!! after the 1st shot, I took it apart, everything was BLACK!!! so Im sure it was not shot before me... maybe by gemtech...

anyways, I will call Gemtech tuesday, ask about getting a new spring or 2....

It ran soo smooth!!!! For the 1st time ever i could hear my 45 ammo Smack the dirt like a baseball bat!!!!! It was like seeing for the 1st time!!!!
Sorry for the double post but think back to this moment in time again..Meant to start with that..
TX-Leo
Silent But Deadly

Post by TX-Leo »

Chondro wrote:
Iansstud wrote:Well I shot it yesterday... Sounds great!!! after the 1st shot, I took it apart, everything was BLACK!!! so Im sure it was not shot before me... maybe by gemtech...

anyways, I will call Gemtech tuesday, ask about getting a new spring or 2....

It ran soo smooth!!!! For the 1st time ever i could hear my 45 ammo Smack the dirt like a baseball bat!!!!! It was like seeing for the 1st time!!!!
Sorry for the double post but think back to this moment in time again..Meant to start with that..

Good point here. The can works great and probably will regardless of the corrosion. Lesson learned. Inspect anything not sealed.

Gt may be able to take it apart and clean it up.
Iansstud
Silent Operator

Post by Iansstud »

*** UPDATE****

I take it all back!!! I just got off the phone with Owen of Gemtech, Great guy!!! He is shipping me a new spring for free, and was very Helpfull!!!!
I had a few questions about this suppressor and about what products they offer for my Fal and AK. He said That I could use water but just be sure when I get home to soak it in Ed's Red to get the water out. He also recomended the New Quicksand suppressor for my 7.62 needs.

I just may get the new Quicksand suppressor for my remington 700, FAL and AK47 after that Customer service!!!

I will however stay away from the guy I bought it from!!
TX-Leo
Silent But Deadly

Post by TX-Leo »

Iansstud wrote:*** UPDATE****

I take it all back!!! I just got off the phone with Owen of Gemtech, Great guy!!! He is shipping me a new spring for free, and was very Helpfull!!!!
I had a few questions about this suppressor and about what products they offer for my Fal and AK. He said That I could use water but just be sure when I get home to soak it in Ed's Red to get the water out. He also recomended the New Quicksand suppressor for my 7.62 needs.

I just may get the new Quicksand suppressor for my remington 700, FAL and AK47 after that Customer service!!!

I will however stay away from the guy I bought it from!!

Good to hear. Gt will take care of their customers. As was said it might look like ass but probably wont affect its service life.
hs338lapua
Silent But Deadly

Post by hs338lapua »

Iansstud wrote:
The sandstorm is a great for the Rem 700, but I'd keep it away from the FAL and Ak like they had AIDS! I think you're asking for trouble throwing ANY can on a FAL or AK. Just my .02

Glad to hear that everything worked out on your Blackside.
delmccormick
Silent But Deadly

Post by delmccormick »

hs338lapua wrote:
Iansstud wrote:
The sandstorm is a great for the Rem 700, but I'd keep it away from the FAL and Ak like they had AIDS! I think you're asking for trouble throwing ANY can on a FAL or AK. Just my .02

762SD runs fine on the five FALs I have shot it with. What are you talking about in regard to the FAL?
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Probably the factory threading..Seen a few that I wouldn't put a can on until after a gunsmith fixed it..
hs338lapua
Silent But Deadly

Post by hs338lapua »

delmccormick wrote:
hs338lapua wrote:
Iansstud wrote:

762SD runs fine on the five FALs I have shot it with. What are you talking about in regard to the FAL?
Threading mostly.
Tanasoo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tanasoo »

So who was the dealer? You should out them for selling a used can :?
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

I think if the can was used then the residue would have been cleaned out when the carbon was and this thread wouldn't exist..
TX-Leo
Silent But Deadly

Post by TX-Leo »

Chondro wrote:I think if the can was used then the residue would have been cleaned out when the carbon was and this thread wouldn't exist..
So are you saying gemtech is making a shitty product?
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

LOL..I already have one gemtech can and the next one to come in is the multimount..
I'm saying that they shipped it with grease..It separated..the water gave the light rust coat to the spring and then the rest dried out leaving that mess..
If it was shot there would be carbon in there..How would you clean out the carbon and leave the residue behind? Little nylon brush and some water will knock out what is there..
If anyone tried to hide the fact that it was shot they did a piss poor job..Well an exceptional job of removing the carbon and then leaving some dried up residue..
I know the real story behind the gemtech deal..I have no problem with their products.
Iansstud
Silent Operator

Post by Iansstud »

As far as the 7.62 suppressor...

I am talking about the 2010 QuickSand not the Sandstorm. The quicksand has the QD flashider mount. It could be transfered from my AK to my FAL to my Remington 700 in alot less time then threading it on.

My FAL, Remington, and AK pistol All have Threads made by ME and they are Inline with the bore. AND the AK and FAL share the same 14x1.0LH.

Will there be any trouble with cycling with the AK or FAL or is it just the threads that are the big deal???
TX-Leo
Silent But Deadly

Post by TX-Leo »

Chondro wrote:LOL..I already have one gemtech can and the next one to come in is the multimount..
I'm saying that they shipped it with grease..It separated..the water gave the light rust coat to the spring and then the rest dried out leaving that mess..
If it was shot there would be carbon in there..How would you clean out the carbon and leave the residue behind? Little nylon brush and some water will knock out what is there..
If anyone tried to hide the fact that it was shot they did a piss poor job..Well an exceptional job of removing the carbon and then leaving some dried up residue..
I know the real story behind the gemtech deal..I have no problem with their products.

As far as I know, gemtech uses superlube, which wont deteriorate like that. I use it myself and my cans sit for a year or more before being used .
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Yeah thats why I think it was either the bottom of a 55 gallon drum or they ran out and grabbed something else..All kinds of different greases around machine shops..
Iansstud
Silent Operator

Post by Iansstud »

Well.... Even IF it was Gemtech, they stepped up and are sending me a FREE spring, so Im not worried about getting another can, If the next one has an issue I now KNOW they will fix it! even if they say its not thier fault!
TX-Leo
Silent But Deadly

Post by TX-Leo »

Chondro wrote:Yeah thats why I think it was either the bottom of a 55 gallon drum or they ran out and grabbed something else..All kinds of different greases around machine shops..
This is the bilock sleeve of my TPRS after sitting since 2006 after smearing it with superlube.

TX-Leo
Silent But Deadly

Post by TX-Leo »

Iansstud wrote:Well.... Even IF it was Gemtech, they stepped up and are sending me a FREE spring, so Im not worried about getting another can, If the next one has an issue I now KNOW they will fix it! even if they say its not thier fault!

That dosent surprize me. GT is not going to leave a customer out to dry on a 2$ spring.

ETA: And neither would SWR, AAC or any other one I can imagine.

What happened to your unit is pretty rare. As was said in the thread above, I think these cans come in a bag. I cant remember on mine as it's been a while. Theres no need to take it out of that bag either.