Sig 522 poor threading... Ruined my day - Update

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

goteron
Silent But Deadly

Sig 522 poor threading... Ruined my day - Update

Post by goteron »

I mee up with a friend who Works at my LGS. I wante to try my newly approved 22Sparrow on his Sig 522 before I buy one there. So we pull the flash hider off. The threads seemed really long. Thread on my can, and the threads hit the O-ring, pull the prong out and thread it on again, the threads bottom out in the can before it seats agaisnt the shoulder. It's still on tight though so I look down the bore, I can see one side of my end cap... No big deal... I grab some washers and put them on the gun and thread the can on so it seats agaisnt the washers that are parallel to the shoulder. The can is still not concentric. I thought it might be runout in the thread job so we tried another 522. Same problem, thread the can on a few tac sol barrels and everything is fine. It turns out that the threads are do not have runout but are not concentric to the bore. So I didn't get a chance to shoot it on a rifle and didn't buy the 522, which I was looking forward to. Any idea why the threads are so ridiculously long and why they have such bad threading? I'm really irked about it, and now I can't find any threaded 15-22's or even threaded 10-22's to buy.
Last edited by goteron on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
JC Weaponry
Silent But Deadly

Post by JC Weaponry »

Long? did you measure them?

There are plenty of people here who run 22lr suppressors on their AR15 uppers (with subcal kits), and need to use a flat spacer to ensure a proper shoulder and thread length.

I'm not sure the 522 is any different than any other AR15 barrel that was originally threaded for 5.56 muzzle attachments.
SIGnature SIGsauer Dealer
01/03 SOT
Newberg, OR
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

And I would have been fine with it had the threads been concentric, but they were very clearly off. I am not sure what the standard thread length is, so that very well may be normal, but the washers did not help. Thanks
fullmann
Senior Silent Operator

Post by fullmann »

apparently I got lucky, I screwed my aviator on my 522 and it worked great.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Maybe it was just that batch they had. I will see if I can find another one to try. Did your aviator hit the shoulder or did you have to use washers?
WoofersInc
Silent Operator

Post by WoofersInc »

I must have been those particular 522's. I have used 2 different Outback II's on my 522 with no problems. They screwed on fine and snugged up tight against the barrel shoulder just fine.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

it is certainly not all 522s, we've got one at the shop that's been used with a variety of cans successfully..
Kick Ass Design
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Just got out of another shop. Same issue. Talked with Josh @ SilencerCo. He told me "shoot it, if you get a strike, well replace the endcap" doesn't get much better than that! So I guess I will go get one until my TM Clandestine gets approved! Thanks
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Post by chingon »

I have used 3 different cans on the end of my 522 TAC65, TM XD 1.5 and TM XP 1.00.
Sorry you had problems. My 522 has not been without other problems though: extractor blew out in under 20 rounds and the "gas block" is not square.
YMMV
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
HILMAN76
Silent But Deadly

Post by HILMAN76 »

Goteron, what was the final verdict with shooting the sparrow and the 522?
Any issues?
If ya' cant dazzle'em with brilliance, baffle'em with bullshit! 8)
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Ive put a few thousand rounds down the pipe of my 522. No problems. Call SIG. They'll fix it.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

The two guys that work at the shop have both had problems with theirs. Sig fixed the issues, but it turned me off to the 522. I might pick up the 15/22 with threaded barrel and MBUS though.
Eagle1*
Silent But Deadly

Post by Eagle1* »

holy crap man, you better be glad you checked the bore lineup before you shot, talk about a REALLY bad day if you did not.
In God we trust, all others are checked through NCIC!
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Putting the laughter in manslaughter
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Sig 522 with Spectre! I can’t wait to try my Element on my 522 SWAT this weekend (just picked up one yesterday). 8)

BTW: Threads look good.
Phillyb

Post by Phillyb »

The sig 522 threads are .600 instead of .400 - I had a friend machine a flat washer, around .200, threads great. Not sure what to say about the botched threads on your barrel.

Put 100 rds of subsonic through my 522 this weekend, using silencerco sparrow. Quickly becoming my favorite host, absolute quiet tack driver.
ctarrico

SR-22 has the same problem

Post by ctarrico »

I bought a Ruger SR-22 a few months ago and used one of John Titsworth's spacers which works okay. I'm using a Spectre.
The threads on my Ruger are .700" long. I found a guy (Tacticalgrips.com) he made me a threaded spacer that was 300" thick and that works perfect.
I believe the muzzle shouldn't be too far into the blast chamber. I was told that a Spectre can accomodate up to .600" of thread but I don't don't think it performs as well as when you have .400" exposed.
That's my experience so far.
I really like my current setup.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Sorry to revive an older post, but I found a 522 with concentric threads, works great with the Sparrow. Has anyone put a bolt buffer in to reduce the action noise? Thanks