HELP!!! Brand New Gemtech issue...

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

TX-Leo wrote:
Chondro wrote:Yeah thats why I think it was either the bottom of a 55 gallon drum or they ran out and grabbed something else..All kinds of different greases around machine shops..
This is the bilock sleeve of my TPRS after sitting since 2006 after smearing it with superlube.

I'd imagine it will look like that still in 50 years..you lost me..Okay I do have to ask though why you have the same superlube on after 4 years? You should be putting fresh on after shooting it a bit and cleaning it..don't tell me you haven't shot it in 4 years.. :shock:
Iansstud
Silent Operator

Post by Iansstud »

The pic of Your spring above looks like the same color of grease that was in mine... greenish grease color... does it smell like lemons? thats what mine smelled like! JFYI
TX-Leo
Silent But Deadly

Post by TX-Leo »

Chondro wrote:
TX-Leo wrote:
Chondro wrote:Yeah thats why I think it was either the bottom of a 55 gallon drum or they ran out and grabbed something else..All kinds of different greases around machine shops..
This is the bilock sleeve of my TPRS after sitting since 2006 after smearing it with superlube.
I'd imagine it will look like that still in 50 years..you lost me..Okay I do have to ask though why you have the same superlube on after 4 years? You should be putting fresh on after shooting it a bit and cleaning it..don't tell me you haven't shot it in 4 years.. :shock:
My point was, there was something else that interfered with the lubricant of the OP's unit.

And no its not the original lube. I take it apart at least once a year and make sure theres no corrosion. It's been about 4 years yes :)
Last edited by TX-Leo on Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TX-Leo
Silent But Deadly

Post by TX-Leo »

Iansstud wrote:The pic of Your spring above looks like the same color of grease that was in mine... greenish grease color... does it smell like lemons? thats what mine smelled like! JFYI
It's most likely the same superlube brand grease that wont harm the O-rings in this unit.

It has no smell at all and is clear. The color you see is most likely some moisture in there which wont hurt it and or the reflection off the metal and sleeve itself. This is what gemtech told me to use.

www.super-lube.com

Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

TX-Leo wrote:
Chondro wrote:
TX-Leo wrote: This is the bilock sleeve of my TPRS after sitting since 2006 after smearing it with superlube.
My point was, there was something else that interfered with the lubricant of the OP's unit.

And no its not the original lube. I take it apart at least once a year and make sure theres no corrosion. It's been about 4 years yes :)
Four year!! Shameful!!! :( I agree most likely something else is at play..I have some various types of grease that just sitting around that temps of 120 really made a mess of..separated into all kinds of crap..water clearly being one..
It all worked out really...not much point trying to figure it out now I guess...
TX-Leo
Silent But Deadly

Post by TX-Leo »

Chondro wrote:
TX-Leo wrote:
Chondro wrote: I'd imagine it will look like that still in 50 years..you lost me..Okay I do have to ask though why you have the same superlube on after 4 years? You should be putting fresh on after shooting it a bit and cleaning it..don't tell me you haven't shot it in 4 years.. :shock:

Four year!! Shameful!!! :( I agree most likely something else is at play..I have some various types of grease that just sitting around that temps of 120 really made a mess of..separated into all kinds of crap..water clearly being one..
It all worked out really...not much point trying to figure it out now I guess...

Yeah I'm too busy in most cases to do a lot of shooting lately and .308 prices are stupid priced. It's starting to change though. I might finally get the host rifle ( 700P ) sighted in fully this year.

This lube will not run under high heat and is impervious to salt water. You should try it. I use it in the M496D which gets so hot I cant touch it.

Now that I'm thinking about it though, it probably is time to clean the sleeves on these two cans.
delmccormick
Silent But Deadly

Post by delmccormick »

hs338lapua wrote:
delmccormick wrote:
hs338lapua wrote: The sandstorm is a great for the Rem 700, but I'd keep it away from the FAL and Ak like they had AIDS! I think you're asking for trouble throwing ANY can on a FAL or AK. Just my .02

Glad to hear that everything worked out on your Blackside.
762SD runs fine on the five FALs I have shot it with. What are you talking about in regard to the FAL?
Threading mostly.
Ah gotcha, all mine have been re-done after having the threads cut off during the ban years.