Work security cam system

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

flip
Elite Member

Work security cam system

Post by flip »

Looking for recomendations. We had a company come in and do a needs assesment :roll: to watch the outside of the building at my location and another 50 miles away. Any way it was like $12,000 for 5 cameras and a umpteen gig DVR. This is not feasible for what we are wanting, basically over kill and then some.
What I want to do is be able to watch via the web and record: our clean up people who are in a seperate building about 100 yards from where I am sitting. We have some personel issues and they have no managerial "eyes" on them, too much f'ing off. I also want to watch my lube racks to make sure there is no sluffing going on there too as they are both out of sight line. Would like a few in our main service area to make sure the stalls are full and guys havn't gotten "lost". Maybe one or two in the showroom so we can watch floor traffic and make sure sales guys are up and at it.

Thing have started to be run like a country club around here and dad is not keeping a tight grip on his mgrs. so this is what it has come to. Basically putting an eye in the sky so everyone knows things are serious, now if nothing is done with the slackers that is dad's problem and I will deal with that.

I was looking at one of those 9 camera systems with 500 gig dvr on ebay for $700 but not sure if there will be issues with looooong wires to the out building or the other end of the shop. This does not have to record for days at a time, just on the clock hours so there is video proof in case we need any. Experience, ideas, stuff to avoid?
joshrunkle35
Silent But Deadly

Post by joshrunkle35 »

$12,000 sounds kinda decent to me. I know some people that have "basic" security in their offices that can range upwards of $100,000.

$12,000 is MUCH less than hiring someone to watch over other people.
So the Libyan Fable is told
That once an eagle, stricken with a dart,
Said, when he saw the fashion of the shaft,
"With our own feathers, not by others' hands,
Are we now smitten."
-Anton Myrer, Once an Eagle
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

I am deploying a system from ipconfigure:

http://www.ipconfigure.com
Check out "Enterprise Surveillance Manager"

It handles basically unlimited IP based cameras from several vendors (AXIS, Sony, Panasonic, etc even wireless!), it is completely distributed and can grow as needed. It uses your web browser to access the data on the server. It's very robust, but not too expensive.

A starter system could be purchased for around $5,000 + cameras.
If you PM me, I can put you in touch with my sales rep and he can even set up a demo for you to see. It's a very advanced system, they won the USPS contract that will handle a s--t-ton of cameras. I started my system with around 50 cameras in 40 different locations, but it will grow to handle around 500 cameras eventually (as funding permits)

It stores the video on the server on whatever sized hard drive you have or can afford, so it will grow easily, even with external USB drives. It exports the video out and you download it to your computer (again, with your web browser) It's very easy to use and you can use your existing computers to access the server. You can even delegate who can see the cameras. If you have one guy that you want to see a single camera for the loading dock or whatever, you can do that without giving him access to every camera in the system.

If you need any server or camera recommendations or want any other info, I can send you whatever you need. Just PM me your email address.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

IMO if the relationship between the owners/managers/employees, has degraded to this point, I'm thinking camera's are gonna be a big dissapointment if the intent is to keep the "workers" in line.

Sorry to hear about your little slice of Hell.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
flip
Elite Member

Post by flip »

continuity wrote:IMO if the relationship between the owners/managers/employees, has degraded to this point, I'm thinking camera's are gonna be a big dissapointment if the intent is to keep the "workers" in line.

You may be correct and I hate to say it but dad is way to easy on everyone and does not want to be the tyrant like I think he needs to be at this point in his career. My brother and I would like him to start fixing some of these issues so we don't have to do it our way. Our business is good and we do a lot of things right but we under utilize our best asset which is our people. A 10% bump in people giving a s--t and productivity= about 2.5 mil.
delmccormick
Silent But Deadly

Post by delmccormick »

flip wrote:
continuity wrote:IMO if the relationship between the owners/managers/employees, has degraded to this point, I'm thinking camera's are gonna be a big dissapointment if the intent is to keep the "workers" in line.

You may be correct and I hate to say it but dad is way to easy on everyone and does not want to be the tyrant like I think he needs to be at this point in his career. My brother and I would like him to start fixing some of these issues so we don't have to do it our way. Our business is good and we do a lot of things right but we under utilize our best asset which is our people. A 10% bump in people giving a s--t and productivity= about 2.5 mil.
Man, it takes time, but if a manager can actually walk through the troubled areas, randomly, every so often, you might be able to actually motivate them, rather than camera supervise and take action after the fact. I run what must be a lot smaller dealership, and I can feel your pain. Techs that don't want to work on "old" stuff, wash boys that are mouthy and don't detail worth a darn. And as you point out, even folks on commission that should be self-motivated, are often not. But, if there is as much slacking off as you think, you need to start getting into these areas in person as a primary move and the cameras as just a backup. IMHO, of course. Good luck.
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

I recently installed a 4 camera system with internet capability for remote vewing . records all 4 cameras on a secure hard drive. holds 3 months of video. night capable (infrared).motion detector. can be hooked up to an alarm . can be hooked up to a phone and programed to call any number (911 standard)
total cost to the customer was $4700
I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.
joshrunkle35
Silent But Deadly

Post by joshrunkle35 »

sub-sonic wrote:I recently installed a 4 camera system with internet capability for remote vewing . records all 4 cameras on a secure hard drive. holds 3 months of video. night capable (infrared).motion detector. can be hooked up to an alarm . can be hooked up to a phone and programed to call any number (911 standard)
total cost to the customer was $4700
Sounds like a really good deal!
So the Libyan Fable is told
That once an eagle, stricken with a dart,
Said, when he saw the fashion of the shaft,
"With our own feathers, not by others' hands,
Are we now smitten."
-Anton Myrer, Once an Eagle
SwampGator
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampGator »

Try this:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-I ... 317&sr=8-2

I think it could be a less expensive solution. It gives some alternatives to having to watch your employees. I really enjoyed this book.
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." - Sophocles
flip
Elite Member

Post by flip »

jonscott1983 wrote:Try this:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-I ... 317&sr=8-2

I think it could be a less expensive solution. It gives some alternatives to having to watch your employees. I really enjoyed this book.
Got that when I went through the course, very good book, very good training.
flip
Elite Member

Post by flip »

delmccormick wrote:
flip wrote:

Man, it takes time, but if a manager can actually walk through the troubled areas, randomly, every so often, you might be able to actually motivate them, rather than camera supervise and take action after the fact. I run what must be a lot smaller dealership, and I can feel your pain. Techs that don't want to work on "old" stuff, wash boys that are mouthy and don't detail worth a darn. And as you point out, even folks on commission that should be self-motivated, are often not. But, if there is as much slacking off as you think, you need to start getting into these areas in person as a primary move and the cameras as just a backup. IMHO, of course. Good luck.
To say it nicely our mgrs. are weak dicks. Guys that have been promoted from within their respective departments because it is easier to move up than new hire. None and I mean none of them have a drop of leadership skills. Most have been in their rolls for many years and have no disire to do any more or better, too much complacincy. Yes the simple solution would to be stick lots of $$ in them for training but most of them are too far gone. Or solution B fire them and start over but dad is too nice to do that. My solution is to make it painful for awhile and change pay plans so if their dept. isn't performing they don't make a paycheck. We pay our people, for our area, very well and there are very few times where there is a short check. The guy that started this business, my great uncle was a complete tyrant dick asshole but this place made a s--t ton of money and we had low turnover and happy employees. Everyone knew what was expected and their feet were held to the fire, he was a shrewd businessman. I think it is time to get back to that route, and since I can't be roaming the shop all day then next best thing is having an eye in all the corners.
delmccormick
Silent But Deadly

Post by delmccormick »

flip wrote:
delmccormick wrote:
flip wrote: You may be correct and I hate to say it but dad is way to easy on everyone and does not want to be the tyrant like I think he needs to be at this point in his career. My brother and I would like him to start fixing some of these issues so we don't have to do it our way. Our business is good and we do a lot of things right but we under utilize our best asset which is our people. A 10% bump in people giving a s--t and productivity= about 2.5 mil.
To say it nicely our mgrs. are weak dicks. Guys that have been promoted from within their respective departments because it is easier to move up than new hire. None and I mean none of them have a drop of leadership skills. Most have been in their rolls for many years and have no disire to do any more or better, too much complacincy. Yes the simple solution would to be stick lots of $$ in them for training but most of them are too far gone. Or solution B fire them and start over but dad is too nice to do that. My solution is to make it painful for awhile and change pay plans so if their dept. isn't performing they don't make a paycheck. We pay our people, for our area, very well and there are very few times where there is a short check. The guy that started this business, my great uncle was a complete tyrant dick asshole but this place made a s--t ton of money and we had low turnover and happy employees. Everyone knew what was expected and their feet were held to the fire, he was a shrewd businessman. I think it is time to get back to that route, and since I can't be roaming the shop all day then next best thing is having an eye in all the corners.
Well, the good news is, it sounds like you have the problems identified and a course of action plotted. Good luck. If it was easy, everyone would do it!
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

Hm. My system has four cameras and 2 1TB HDDs on the DVR, mirrored RAID. Cost me all of $800.
Hellrazor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hellrazor »

PTK wrote:Hm. My system has four cameras and 2 1TB HDDs on the DVR, mirrored RAID. Cost me all of $800.
What system is this, I'm interested in replacing some stuff?
Cortland
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Cortland »

chrismartin wrote:I am deploying a system from ipconfigure:

http://www.ipconfigure.com
Check out "Enterprise Surveillance Manager"

It handles basically unlimited IP based cameras from several vendors (AXIS, Sony, Panasonic, etc even wireless!), it is completely distributed and can grow as needed. It uses your web browser to access the data on the server. It's very robust, but not too expensive.

A starter system could be purchased for around $5,000 + cameras.
If you PM me, I can put you in touch with my sales rep and he can even set up a demo for you to see. It's a very advanced system, they won the USPS contract that will handle a s--t-ton of cameras. I started my system with around 50 cameras in 40 different locations, but it will grow to handle around 500 cameras eventually (as funding permits)

It stores the video on the server on whatever sized hard drive you have or can afford, so it will grow easily, even with external USB drives. It exports the video out and you download it to your computer (again, with your web browser) It's very easy to use and you can use your existing computers to access the server. You can even delegate who can see the cameras. If you have one guy that you want to see a single camera for the loading dock or whatever, you can do that without giving him access to every camera in the system.

If you need any server or camera recommendations or want any other info, I can send you whatever you need. Just PM me your email address.
This

:lol: