Modifying 60gr 22LR bullets

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Modifying 60gr 22LR bullets

Post by smcharchan »

Edited to change thread title. I realized it was a near duplicate of another thread.

I purchased a bullet sizer from D Rock over on Rimfire Central and I've been working with the 60gr Aguila loads for a few days. I'm very happy with the results that I have been getting. Below are some pictures and info.

To use the tool place the cartridge in the base, which prevents the rim from getting crushed.

Then, place the adjusted hollow point tool in the upper portion of the tool and place the assembly on the base. I found that using the flat faced tool first helps to ensure that the hollow point tool is well centered on the bullet, as it isn't trying to center on the round nose.

Once assembled, give it a couple light raps with a mallet to drive the tool into the nose of the bullet.

The result is a bullet that has a hollow point and is shorter, which may help with stabilization.

Here is the result of some expansion tests. I tested them in plumber's putty, water, and on small game. They will expand and travel length-wise through a squirrel, head to tail.

For more aggressive expansion I found that driving the nose of a small phillips head screwdriver into the hollow point when it is still in the tool helps even more. Prestressing the bullet at four points causes it to expand very rapidly, but sometimes some of the four petals will break off.

Accuracy is the same for me, but I am using a Lilja 1:9 twist barrel on a 77/22, so I never had a problem with the accuracy of these rounds.
Cj Two A
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cj Two A »

I have a friend that does this, and he's gotten decent results with it, but I still cringe every time i hear about him pounding on a rimfire round. I know it's obvious, but be careful man!
Ron of Va
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ron of Va »

I have the Neal Waltz die system to be used with a reloading press. I couldn't stand the thought of hammering on a 22lr. So I bought the Waltz.
diablito
Silent But Deadly

Post by diablito »

how does this effect sound?
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

diablito wrote:how does this effect sound?
It does not affect the sound of the 60gr round.

The increased pressure created by the tighter bullet does have an effect with certain rounds; it will make some go a little sonic. For example, CCI standard velocity and CCI subsonic HP both make just a little bit of a crack when sized then fired - not a full blown crack, but you can definately hear some bullet noise. They must be right on the lower boundry of the transonic range. However, all my testing has been here in VA last week where the temps have been 10 to 30 degrees.
eseaton
Silent But Deadly

Post by eseaton »

tag for reference
From the Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Cheetah
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cheetah »

Tagged. I've never heard of this. Interesting.
eseaton
Silent But Deadly

Post by eseaton »

Any info on how to get more info on this? Manufacturer, etc?

Thanks
From the Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

eseaton wrote:Any info on how to get more info on this? Manufacturer, etc?

Thanks
The words "over on Rimfire Central" in my post is a hyperlink. Click it to get in contact with the mfr, who uses the screen name "D Rock".

D Rock is not the only guy making these. As Ron stated above, there is the Neal Waltz model that works in a reloading press, and there is one made by Paco Kelly’s called the ACU-RZR (link).

They are a great way to make ammo more accurate, to make solid points into hollow points, and to waste hours tinkering.
BWPerdue
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWPerdue »

I have one of Paco's versions. I like it.
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

Interesting, I was only aware of paco's. Do any of these come in different diameters to accomodate different chambers?
silentassets
Silent But Deadly

Post by silentassets »

tagged for later
YHM Mite SS w/QD 4 sale $175 form 3 in Texas
You cant miss fast enough to make up for a hit.
RON PAUL 2012
libertyman777
Silent But Deadly

Post by libertyman777 »

Yep, I've got one of Paco's early versions. Four tip profiles and two chamber sizes, .223 and .224. Works like a charm. I see similar results.

Paul
Remember............ You're Special, Unique, One of a Kind.............Just like everyone else.................