Thompson Machine Review with update for Major and Bobafet

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

alanparsons
Senior Silent Operator

Thompson Machine Review with update for Major and Bobafet

Post by alanparsons »

I got in the following suppressors Friday, and have been shooting them since they came out of the box.

QMF- I am SHOCKED at how well this can works. When you take it apart and look inside you are left wondering how in the hell they did it. Put over 800 rounds through 2 of them on a HK USPCT and a Para LDA 5" 1911. Not one jam and no blowback of wire pulling gel. They have a real winner here. Wet it sounds exactly like my KAC USP-T or better.

WASP- Neat little can, and also fun just to sit around and play with. You can add a small rubber disk and it makes almost no noise for 3-5 shots on a Beretta 21A. I used 1/4" at the end.

ZEPHER XL- Quietest .22 can I have ever heard. It is big, but it is a modern Fat Boy. If you want "click" quiet shoot it on a 77/22.

POSEIDON- Neat as hell. Like a modern KAC wipe can, only better and smaller. Very quiet. I love the rear wipe idea so your medium does not blow back into gun.

I am very happy. I just placed a order for a bunch more. TM will be here a very long time.

Thanks to Brooks for staying late and getting these to me before the weekend. TM customer service is some of the best in the industry.
Last edited by alanparsons on Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nighthawk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nighthawk »

Congrats on the new toys and I'm glad to hear of your good experience with their customer service.

I'm still waiting on my poseidon and my experience with their customer service hasn't been anything to brag about.

When I sent several e-mails with questions about the poseidon Brooks was quick to reply and answered them all. After I sent the check off it was a difference story.

He told me he didn't know if he could email me when the form 3 came back so he told me to check on it in 2 weeks. After 2 weeks was up I sent an email and got no reply. Waited another week and sent another e-mail and he answered it 2 days later saying it hadn't come back but it shouldn't be much longer and to check back later.

Another 2 weeks goes by so I checked again and got no reply. I waited another week and sent another email asking about the form 3. 2 days later I get tired of them not returning my email so I send another one. This time he tells me the form 3 is back and he'll try and get it in the mail the next day or the day after. I'm not sure how long the form 3 had been sitting on thier desk but I doubt it just happen to come in that same day.

A week later my FFL still has not received it so I sent an email asking for a tracking number. Brooks responds that afternoon and says he's not at the shop but he'll get it to me the next day. Its been 2 days now and still no response with a tracking number.

I mailed them a check on Jan 23rd and now its March 28th and still no suppressor or a tracking number. I'm gonna stick to ordering from the major. He was much better at returning emails, shipped next day and sent a tracking number.

From what I hear Thompson Machine makes quality products but in my opinion they are lacking in customer service. I was also going to order an operative barrel from them but with their lack of communication I've decided against it. To me a company can have the best products in the world but if they have lousy customer service and communication skills then I wont buy from them again. I understand that a small company can get busy and its hard to check emails but if they're that busy they should hire someone to do it for them. Nothing personal Brooks but I wont be a repeat customer.
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson
MntnMnWV

Post by MntnMnWV »

Nighthawk wrote:Congrats on the new toys and I'm glad to hear of your good experience with their customer service.

I'm still waiting on my poseidon and my experience with their customer service hasn't been anything to brag about.

When I sent several e-mails with questions about the poseidon Brooks was quick to reply and answered them all. After I sent the check off it was a difference story.

He told me he didn't know if he could email me when the form 3 came back so he told me to check on it in 2 weeks. After 2 weeks was up I sent an email and got no reply. Waited another week and sent another e-mail and he answered it 2 days later saying it hadn't come back but it shouldn't be much longer and to check back later.

Another 2 weeks goes by so I checked again and got no reply. I waited another week and sent another email asking about the form 3. 2 days later I get tired of them not returning my email so I send another one. This time he tells me the form 3 is back and he'll try and get it in the mail the next day or the day after. I'm not sure how long the form 3 had been sitting on thier desk but I doubt it just happen to come in that same day.

A week later my FFL still has not received it so I sent an email asking for a tracking number. Brooks responds that afternoon and says he's not at the shop but he'll get it to me the next day. Its been 2 days now and still no response with a tracking number.

I mailed them a check on Jan 23rd and now its March 28th and still no suppressor or a tracking number. I'm gonna stick to ordering from the major. He was much better at returning emails, shipped next day and sent a tracking number.

From what I hear Thompson Machine makes quality products but in my opinion they are lacking in customer service. I was also going to order an operative barrel from them but with their lack of communication I've decided against it. To me a company can have the best products in the world but if they have lousy customer service and communication skills then I wont buy from them again. I understand that a small company can get busy and its hard to check emails but if they're that busy they should hire someone to do it for them. Nothing personal Brooks but I wont be a repeat customer.
+1

13 weeks on a, in stock, F3 transfer to my dealer.
Brooks@Thompson Machine
Industry Professional

Post by Brooks@Thompson Machine »

Guys,

Sorry I have been slower to respond to emails than usual! As business picks up, it's hard to let people know exactly what stage they are in the transfer process. I try to keep everyone updated, but sometimes it is impossible.

Our Form 3s are running slowly at the moment, and that is no fault of our own. For a while they were running ~6 weeks, but they are taking anywhere from 3 weeks to 12-13 right now.

Rest assured that we are working hard to get everyone's suppressors out to them as quickly as possible while still maintaining the utmost quality control.

Thanks!
Brooks
Thompson Machine
Last edited by Brooks@Thompson Machine on Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh
[email protected]
www.thompsonmachine.net
Brooks@Thompson Machine
Industry Professional

Also,

Kevin, your suppressor is in transit to your dealer. I am not currently in the shop, as it is Sunday, so I can't give you your tracking number (meant to give it to you several days ago, but it simply slipped my mind).

It should be there by Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks!
Brooks
Thompson Machine
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh
[email protected]
www.thompsonmachine.net
TPayne
Silent But Deadly

Post by TPayne »

Guys, lighten up. Brooks and Richard work their tails off at that shop and it's just the two of them. The Form 3 wait time is as screwed up as the Form 4 wait time. One of my Form 3s for a can I purchased back at the end of October took over 3 months and I have proof that it took the jackasses at the BATF that long to get it approved and that was on a can that was in stock, I hand picked it out of a cluster of them. There were other Form 3s that were submitted after mine that had already come back. So, give them a break. They have a huge volume of orders and its just the two of them working there and Richard usually is out in the machine shop 7 days per week working on stuff. They also have to take the time for R&D of each can. They have cans that are currently under R&D that haven't even been announced/released yet that when they are, I know you guys will absolutely do a back flip for.
Nighthawk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nighthawk »

TPayne wrote:Guys, lighten up. Brooks and Richard work their tails off at that shop and it's just the two of them. The Form 3 wait time is as screwed up as the Form 4 wait time. One of my Form 3s for a can I purchased back at the end of October took over 3 months and I have proof that it took the jackasses at the BATF that long to get it approved and that was on a can that was in stock, I hand picked it out of a cluster of them. There were other Form 3s that were submitted after mine that had already come back. So, give them a break. They have a huge volume of orders and its just the two of them working there and Richard usually is out in the machine shop 7 days per week working on stuff. They also have to take the time for R&D of each can. They have cans that are currently under R&D that haven't even been announced/released yet that when they are, I know you guys will absolutely do a back flip for.
I'm not dogging them in the least and I'm not telling anyone not to do business with them. I'm just giving an honest account of my experience with their customer service.

Also my complaint isn't about ATF approvals, its about not responding to emails and having to send multiple emails before getting a response.

I totally understand how things can get busy when you're a small outfit but I also expect good customer service regardless. Thats just my opinion, yours may be different. Some people may not mind sending an email about a product that you purchased and never getting a reply. Thats cool, to each their own. Personally I expect more, thats just me. I don't even mind getting a reply a day or 2 later but a week with no reply is too much for me.

YMMV
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson
STL/N.E.R.D.S.
Silent But Deadly

Agreed

Post by STL/N.E.R.D.S. »

I would have to agree with you, TPayne In any type of shop, getting time is tough, having customers in, doing R&D, demo's ect. Time is much better spent on a machine making things, than on a machine answering an untold amount of questions. Especially when it's a product or service new to the market. Imagine how many e-mails they and others have received since the transferable mg market has dried up ( for most working men, kinda tough justifying 18k for a mg or smg ), and sbr's, sbs's and suppressors have taken the lead in production and sales due to the prices, and brought newer and innovative companies on to the market. For years there were only a few names in the game, now you really have to research your choices.
I have to admit, I am guilty of over e-mailing manufacturers, I must be a pain in the ass, but I do realize that I will get an answer eventually, and I would rather have them working on whatever it is that I ordered than chit chatting on line.. sometimes it's just not in the game plan to add new employees to answer phones or e-mails, until you adjust to the new flow, [ growing pains ]
I think all of us have to adjust to the newer time frames on forms. not saying we should like it, just saying we should be patient to a degree.
STL
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Re: Thompson Machine ROCKS!!!!

Post by seattlite »

alanparsons wrote: ...
WASP- Neat little can, and also fun just to sit around and play with. You can add a small rubber disk and it makes almost no noise for 3-5 shots on a Beretta 21A. I used 1/4" at the end.
Can you comment shooting the WASP dry w/o wipes? Any chance you have another 22 can that you can use for some dry comparisons?
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

Congrats! I have a QMF on a form 3 now, should be getting close....all the other ones from TM have been in the 6 week range. I guess they have a slow examiner.

On a brighter note, I have three form 4's that were approved early last week (I should get them this week)...a Poseidon, a Wasp, and an Operative C! Can't wait!
alanparsons
Senior Silent Operator

Post by alanparsons »

I own all kinds of suppressors from all kinds of makers. I love AAC SWR and GEMTECH. Thompson Machine is cool if you like to play with your suppressors and work up a medium or clean them. Just another bunch of "tools" but well made and quiet. So many new companies start with hype and their cans suck. Not so with TM. They remind me of a young AAC. Not all companies get better with age, see AWC if you need proof. The two new companies that I like are HTG and TM. Blame ATF for delays. Brooks does not lie or F--k around. Once your forms clear he will get your stuff to you even if he has to do it on personal time. If you don't want to do future biz with them Ok. More Poseidons for me:) betcha a bag of cheesy poofs a second order makes you a lifetime customer. If you want bobafet I will buy your order. I understand and am willing to help like that.

On the wasp I used wire pulling gel and a small rubber disk at the front. Sounds like my Aviator but the size of a 20ga shell.
Nighthawk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nighthawk »

alanparsons wrote:I own all kinds of suppressors from all kinds of makers. I love AAC SWR and GEMTECH. Thompson Machine is cool if you like to play with your suppressors and work up a medium or clean them. Just another bunch of "tools" but well made and quiet. So many new companies start with hype and their cans suck. Not so with TM. They remind me of a young AAC. Not all companies get better with age, see AWC if you need proof. The two new companies that I like are HTG and TM. Blame ATF for delays. Brooks does not lie or F--k around. Once your forms clear he will get your stuff to you even if he has to do it on personal time. If you don't want to do future biz with them Ok. More Poseidons for me:) betcha a bag of cheesy poofs a second order makes you a lifetime customer. If you want bobafet I will buy your order. I understand and am willing to help like that.

On the wasp I used wire pulling gel and a small rubber disk at the front. Sounds like my Aviator but the size of a 20ga shell.
Wow I really appreciate the offer to buy it from me man. That shows you're a stand up guy. The price is $1,350. I threw in a little extra for my wait time. I accept postal money orders and paypal+4%. Just let me know how you prefer to pay.

Thanks again, that really is nice of you.

Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

I shot my Poseidon the other day. Sent the check and Form 4 in to ATF the same day.

I put a teaspoon of water in it, and used the 2 wipes. My dealer moved us around to a different site in his yard, as he was expecting it to get kinda loud.

No way, brother. I think it is quieter than my SWR can.

Dinky little can, looks so dimniuitive on the host when I am accustomed to the 8" dry cans, yet it is highly effective. Very, very kewl.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Nighthawk wrote:Wow I really appreciate the offer to buy it from me man. That shows you're a stand up guy. The price is $1,350. I threw in a little extra for my wait time. I accept postal money orders and paypal+4%. Just let me know how you prefer to pay.

Didn't you already sell it?
Nighthawk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nighthawk »

Diomed wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:Wow I really appreciate the offer to buy it from me man. That shows you're a stand up guy. The price is $1,350. I threw in a little extra for my wait time. I accept postal money orders and paypal+4%. Just let me know how you prefer to pay.

Didn't you already sell it?
No I haven't sold it. Why would I, I've been waiting over 2 months for it. I just assumed alan wanted to take turns being a smartass considering the way he offered to buy it. I never said they make bad products, just the opposite. From what I've seen and heard it looks like they produce top quality suppressors. Like I said, my only complaint was never having emails returned or being told they'll get back with me then never hearing from them till I send another email.

Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

FWIW: Mine had more delays than yours, actually. Changed anodizing shops, needed a new tool for my threads, and I don't know what else. About 4 mos from check mail to dealer receiving it. NFA is like that, and machine work in general always seems late, IME.

Gemtech took about 2.5 mos to get my OB-II to my dealer, they apparently had machine shop delivery problems. SRT took about 7 weeks I think for an Odessa. My SIA integral Enfield took 8-9 mos.

I found email response from Brooks to be pretty reasonable. I know that I can't same-day answer every phone message and email I get in my work, and still take care of things that actually bring money in.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

Remember when everyone was bitching that AAC took so long to fill orders? And they are a larger operation...with full time clerical staff. Just sayin.' Bashing a start up suppressor company for what is, in effect, a 9 week wait for a Form 3 transfer is a bit excessive. I waited much longer than that for my Cyclone, but it was worth it. BTW, a buddy of mine ordered an in-stock can through the Major in late December...and the ATF lost the form 3. He has to re-submit. It happens.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
ssnfa
Silent But Deadly

Post by ssnfa »

Dweezil wrote:Remember when everyone was bitching that AAC took so long to fill orders? And they are a larger operation...with full time clerical staff. Just sayin.' Bashing a start up suppressor company for what is, in effect, a 9 week wait for a Form 3 transfer is a bit excessive. I waited much longer than that for my Cyclone, but it was worth it.
+1

I am a fairly new FFL/SOT and have worked with TM since starting in Nov and I have been shown nothing but respect and a true appreciation for my business by Thompson Machine. Brooks has responded quickly to everyone of my stupid questions and has kept me up to date on changes and "soon to be" products.

TM is by far my favorite suppressor company to deal with, with Gemtech a close second.

Form 3's from most manufacturers seem to be running 9+ weeks lately. It is all in which examiner you have.

Now if you wanna here me bitch, let's talk about YHM, with SAS a close second!
Brooks@Thompson Machine
Industry Professional

We appreciate you guys' understanding that sometimes delays do happen :wink: We do our best to keep everyone satisfied, but sometimes I miss an email here and there. If you do send me one, and I don't reply, I have missed it, so re-send by all means.

I just spoke with Nighthawk's dealer, and his suppressor is here waiting for him. I have emailed him to alert him of the fact.

MntnmnWV,

Send me an email and give me your info so I can check on your transfer and let you know what's going on.

Thanks to the rest of you guys for your patience!

Thanks!
Brooks
Thompson Machine
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh
[email protected]
www.thompsonmachine.net
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I agree with ssnfa about everything but Gemtech. :) Gemtech took a year to deliver a can that was "two weeks" out. Although the Dr. has always treated me right.

Thank you Brooks and Richard for going out of your way for me on my orders and service. I also think you ROCK.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Dweezil wrote:Remember when everyone was bitching that AAC took so long to fill orders? And they are a larger operation...with full time clerical staff.
Oooooh, that's a can of worms of a different stripe, if you'll pardon the mixed metaphor.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

I'm afraid that one is unpardonable.
Thomas Jefferson

ssnfa
Silent But Deadly

Post by ssnfa »

strobro32 wrote:Although the Dr. has always treated me right.
Ok, educate me. Who is the Dr.?
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

Phillip H. Dater, MD, prez of Gemtech. AKA Doc Dater and P.H.D. (which is pretty dang cute).

P.H.D. has always been pleasant to speak with on the phone, and did good work for my very small project.
Thomas Jefferson

Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

Ben B. wrote:I'm afraid that one is unpardonable.
"Unpardonable?...as in "don't count your chickens before they come home to roost?" :wink:
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."