Idea for a workable multi-caliber can.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

mudshark
Silent But Deadly

Idea for a workable multi-caliber can.

Post by mudshark »

I was goofing around with one of the lenses for my cameras the other day and got to looking at the aperature system.

For those who understand how the aperature blades work to control the size of the iris, then you already "get" the concept. If not, read on...

A camera lens aperature is basically a system consisting of thin metal blades that fit tightly together in a ring, and when rotated, either open or close a hole in the center formed by the edges of the blades. They are designed to control the amount of light flowing through a lens. If you think back to sci-fi movies, those doors on spaceships that rotate and open from the center are a larger version of what I'm refering to. Same concept.

Now, everyone know you can use a larger-than-caliber can on a firearm, but the suppression won't be as good. A .22 or 9mm shot through a .45 can is still gonna be loud becuase of the amount of gas/noise that will follow the bullet out of the end of the tube.

BATFE has already ruled that endcaps are considered silencer parts and thus regualted themselves, so having 4 or 5 spare endcaps in specific calibers isn't an option.

But what about ONE endcap that adjusts it's bore size for the caliber in use?

The rest of the bafles in the tube can be of the largest bore needed - .45 perhaps? The endcap will be able to open or close as needed, eliminating the big, over-bore hole at the end of the can which lets all the extra noise out.

The aperature can be indexed and detented so a twist will open or close the hole to the desired bore size and lock it in place.

The result would be a multicalber silencer that would be a lot quieter than just screwing a .45 can on.
Mitt Romney is a gun banning RINO.
dj_fatstyles
Silent But Deadly

Post by dj_fatstyles »

its crossed my mind as well a few years ago, the only problem i would find is when it get dirty the aperature would have a hard time opening and closing. i know you are talking about the end cap being the moving part but gasses and lead (if shooting .22) will still get in the smaller moving parts and muck it up. think of the piston on a 45 can, when shot a lot, it gets dirty and starts to have trouble moving, same thing with the aperature system, though it may take longer. just my .000002
im not saying that it cant be done or not to try it, just saying it would be a bitch and a half to clean.
SWR Spectre
SWR H.E.M.S. 2
Gemtech SOS-45
Silencerco SS Sparrow
Gemtech Outback IID
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

How about an end cap with a 1/2" female threaded bore. You then install a male thread form that is bored for each caliber.

Would the alphabet crew go nuts? You're talking about threaded inserts, a simple male thread form, with a hole in it. I suspect they'd not like the idea.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

dj_fatstyles wrote:i know you are talking about the end cap being the moving part but gasses and lead (if shooting .22) will still get in the smaller moving parts and muck it up.
The aperture parts would need to be fairly robust, and you would have to be able to remove it and possibly disassemble it for cleaning.

Also, you now run the danger of shooting out your aperture if you forget to adjust it when switching calibers.
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

I'm thinkin gyou're putting a lot of thought and effort into the least critical part of the silencer. I'm sure you could get it to work, but I sinserely doubt the exit hole will make much difference.

Now if you could figure out a way to change tha caliber of the baffles without upsetting the BATF...
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Post by mx201er »

Would the alphabet crew go nuts?
that made me lol :lol:
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

mx201er wrote:
Would the alphabet crew go nuts?
that made me lol :lol:
Maybe because they do go nuts on occasion, like shoelaces and Akins Accelerators! But is my solution viable? It wouldn't hurt, and it would be a simple way to have a variable exit hole.
mudshark
Silent But Deadly

Post by mudshark »

Fulmen wrote:I'm thinkin gyou're putting a lot of thought and effort into the least critical part of the silencer. I'm sure you could get it to work, but I sinserely doubt the exit hole will make much difference.

Now if you could figure out a way to change tha caliber of the baffles without upsetting the BATF...

Well, you COULD design a system so that the baffles themselves operate like aperatures, and the entire system rotates as a unit and enlarges or contracts as needed, much in the same way the endcap does.

But it wold be very complex, with 12x the moving parts of the "endcap only" design, and very subject to fouling. Probably heavy, too...

But I think it would be possible.
Mitt Romney is a gun banning RINO.
[email protected]
Silent But Deadly

Post by [email protected] »

I think you could be on to something here. I wonder if anyone has ever tried this before??? If they have, I bet they'd never tell. It seems like the BATFE would come up with some bs to make it "illegal."
dj_fatstyles
Silent But Deadly

Post by dj_fatstyles »

doubt they would even need to come up with bs, they just say it illegal and it is.
SWR Spectre
SWR H.E.M.S. 2
Gemtech SOS-45
Silencerco SS Sparrow
Gemtech Outback IID
[email protected]
Silent But Deadly

Post by [email protected] »

dj_fatstyles wrote:doubt they would even need to come up with bs, they just say it illegal and it is.
Good point.
S.Fisher#040147
Silent Operator

Post by S.Fisher#040147 »

This reminds me of an idea I had recently, it's a different method but would allow you to use a can for several different calibers. If you or I built a can that was made to have a wipe in between every baffle, but you cut a hole in it that was fit for a specific caliber before hand. Say you wanted to shoot .22 thru it just cut a small hole it the wipe that was .25" and place one between each baffle, if you want to shoot a 9mm just cut the appropriate hole through the wipe and replace the old one. It's not based on the principles of a camera lense, but it would reduce the hole diameter just the same and wipes aren't regulated like actual baffles so they can be replaced as you see fit. I'm not trying to thread hjack this is just along the same lines, so I figured I'd mention it.
Tin_Can_Terminator
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tin_Can_Terminator »

What about each baffle along with the end cap having threaded inserts. Swap 7 inserts and your shooting .22 lr, swapem again for .30 cal swap again for .375. It would be one hell of a big can but the concept would work.

I think I will stick with Diff cans for each caliber.

TCT
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Threaded inserts would be a big no no each piece would be a suppressor legally.If you had a can that included a adjustable aperture that should be legal as it is part of the whole just don't try to register it as multiple caliber.

i
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
thweinvisiblescarecrow
Silent But Deadly

Post by thweinvisiblescarecrow »

It's allready been done with an insert.
The BSA VC silencer is made for air use & at presant I'k messing around with it to try & improve it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykv232e9KDY
No artificial additives.
Except Lead.
stimpsonjcat
Silent But Deadly

Post by stimpsonjcat »

Seems like a legit method of dealing with the threaded inserts would be to make them so that they all screw into holes elsewhere in the can, say between the blast baffle and first baffle, or in a reflex make them the holes facing to the rear over the barrel volume.

Then all the adapters are always part of the can, and you just change the one you want at the blast baffle entry or end cap, whichever is more helpful.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

I would be interested in knowing how much difference it makes, but in my experience diameter of the opening in the blast baffle (and other internals) has more to do with the reduction than the endcap... And, if say your bullet path (internally) is oversize, a smaller exit hole won't necessarily make up for it. I like your thinking though!
Kick Ass Design
widlin1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by widlin1 »

Presently is there any reason why a multi caliber can with no extra parts would be illegal?
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

One solution could be a design with eccentric (as in non-concentric, I think we're well beyond the borders of eccentricity here) baffles. If both the can and the baffles were made with an eccentric bore you could make the baffles indexable, this could reduce the straight axial flow through the silencer.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

The "blast face" of most baffles is usually, initially, a flat washer type surface.

Therefore, the solution is to use rubber wipes with a hole of the size required for the particular caliber one will be using, which can be affixed to the baffle by some means, e.g. screws or some other method.

Since wipes defined as rubber or plastic "disks" are not deemed suppressor parts per se, different caliber sets of these can be provided with each suppressor.

Its not neat or elegant but it ought to work decently for some time at a fraction of the cost and mechanical complexity, to say nothing of solving a series of current snd possible legal issues.

And Jason is right, if your baffles are too overbore, a small endacp hole will not make up for it.

If only one part of the suppressor could be made adjustable like this, it would have to be the blast baffle.

That being said the better solution is for all the baffles to have an appropriate bore size.

I hope this has been helpful.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
stimpsonjcat
Silent But Deadly

Post by stimpsonjcat »

JasonAAC wrote:I would be interested in knowing how much difference it makes, but in my experience diameter of the opening in the blast baffle (and other internals) has more to do with the reduction than the endcap... And, if say your bullet path (internally) is oversize, a smaller exit hole won't necessarily make up for it. I like your thinking though!
You guys shoot the crap out of cans that come back with the ends blown out...don't you? That's how you know the end cap hole doesn't matter much? I would too, hey it's already destroyed.