Anyone carrying a Glock 36

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

caver101
Silent But Deadly

Anyone carrying a Glock 36

Post by caver101 »

I am wanting a smaller 45 pistol for CC and use it IWB with a shirt tucked in over it. The 36 feels nice, but I am just looking for some first hand reports on it. How is the muzzle jump? Recoil? Accuracy?

Thanks for any input.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Very painful to shoot. I wanted a G36 so bad. I think I was the first non-cop in my state to own one. But I don't like it much now. Then again, I can live without a .45 and am carrying a P7. If you must have a .45, consider the Glock and the latest Kahr (which has a nice grip). Also, short barrel .45s should be shot with +P ammo to duplicate standard velocity ammo from a 5 inch barrel.
Wraith
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wraith »

I routinely carry a G36 in a Predator holster and love the gun. I don't find the gun hard to control at all but I'm 6'/220lbs so please take that into consideration. If I carry it I'll stuff it with 200gr +P Gold Dots. Even then recoil isn't bad at all for me. I find it extremely accurate too. Head shots on targets are easy at 15 yards. I also found that the accuracy improved when I got a Ghost Inc 3.5lb trigger connector. Much lighter trigger pull made for quicker follow up shots as well. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask or PM me.
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Always out numbered, never outgunned.
Mom... Dad... I'm gaelic.
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

I too use a G36 in a Milt Sparks VMII holster almost everyday. I wanted a compact, lightweight and slim 45 for daily packing and the G36 fits the bill. I'm not as big as Wraith but I disagree that the G36 is painful to shoot. However if I don't practice often I'll get a failure-to-feed at the end of the first mag or on the second. This is due to limp wristing. You'll have to stay sharp to manage the recoil. Another problem I've noticed usually occurs during IDPA matches. (Yes I "compete" (ha ha ha) with my little G36 at the local IDPA matches.) Sometimes by the fourth stage I'll start missing low left. It's because I'm unconsciously anticipating the shot and pushing against the recoil before the shot. Like I said, with any lightweight you'll have to practice a lot more to stay sharp. Since Robert doesn't like his G36 anymore see if he'll sell it to you at a discount. That's how I picked up mine.

-yj
Barry in IN
Silent Operator

Post by Barry in IN »

I was in my "regular" gunshop a couple of days ago, and someone was commented about not seeing any G36s in the display case. The owner told him that he doesn't even try to stock them anymore, as he gets very little call for them.
He wouldn't have any reason to lie.

No reason why I'm mentioning it, other than I found it rather surprising/interesting.
Shhhhhh
dwaine99

Post by dwaine99 »

I carry a G36,32 and G26 in a Don Hume. The G36 is the most comfortable of the bunch. As far as recoil it feels close to my G26 9mm. IF you want to feel recoil in a Glock, try a G29 10mm or one of the 357 Sig caliber.
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

I have a G36 as my primary carry gun. It's not my favorite shooter but a decent compromise which replaced a Kimber I no longer trusted.

Pro's:
1.Slimmer profile than other Glocks so slightly less painful to carry IWB under a tank top.
2. I sweat like a pig in scorching Phoenix summers and have yet to sweat thru this finish.
3. For me, less felt recoil than similar sized .40 cal's. More of a slow push than a sharp snap.
4. Absolutely reliable...so far.
5. Reasonably light.

Cons:
1. Very limited selection of holsters/mag pouches etc for this gun.
2.!@#$%^&*piss poor combination of short grip and excessively long magazine basepad affects ergonomics. "Bites' the pinky finger during recoil, prevents normal dry firing practice ie: necessitates a 3 finger "J-Frame"grip with pinky finger curled under grip when magazine absent but pinky indexes in gap between grip and base pad when magazine in.
3. Not nearly as accurate or comfortable to carry/shoot as the Kimber but did I mention it's reliable?
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

I carry a glock 36 in a galco belly band nearly everywhere I go - even to work. reciol is MUCH more controllable than the you might thing. I found the sig 239 and Khar actually more painfull to shoot.
btb601
Silent But Deadly

Post by btb601 »

Dweezil wrote:I have a G36 as my primary carry gun. It's not my favorite shooter but a decent compromise which replaced a Kimber I no longer trusted.

Pro's:
1.Slimmer profile than other Glocks so slightly less painful to carry IWB under a tank top.
2. I sweat like a pig in scorching Phoenix summers and have yet to sweat thru this finish.
3. For me, less felt recoil than similar sized .40 cal's. More of a slow push than a sharp snap.
5. Reasonably light.

Cons:
2.!@#$%^&*piss poor combination of short grip and excessively long magazine basepad affects ergonomics. "Bites' the pinky finger during recoil, prevents normal dry firing practice ie: necessitates a 3 finger "J-Frame"grip with pinky finger curled under grip when magazine absent but pinky indexes in gap between grip and base pad when magazine in.
3. Not nearly as accurate or comfortable to carry/shoot as the Kimber but did I mention it's reliable?
I carry a Kimber and have not had any problems. Only issue is the size. What was wrong with your Kimber?
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

My G36 is VERY accurate... 2" groups off-hand with practice at 25 yards are easy.
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

btb601 wrote:
Dweezil wrote:I have a G36 as my primary carry gun. It's not my favorite shooter but a decent compromise which replaced a Kimber I no longer trusted.

Pro's:
5. Reasonably light.

Cons:
I carry a Kimber and have not had any problems. Only issue is the size. What was wrong with your Kimber?
I think mine must have been built on a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon by someone with a hangover. I've had the little metal ear on the Mag catch lock break twice in the first 500 rounds turning it into a very expensive single shot. The last breakage happened during my CCW requalification so I had to borrow someone elses .45 to qualify. I was told that Kimber was making these tiny parts using metal injection molding. I replaced it eventually with the Ed Brown part turned out of bar stock but I don't trust that design that relies on a 2mm sliver of metal to hold it together. I'm guessing this wasn't a rare problem as I see the newer Kimbers have what looks like the Ed Brown mag catch/lock as the stock part. Also the grip screw bushings were stripped and some Nimrod tried to cover the mistake by cementing them with Loc-Tite. I sent it back to Kimber and they returned it with another MIM mag catch/lock and MORE Loc-Tite on the grip bushings. The G36 isn't as sexy or as comfortable to carry but it goes "bang" every time.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

Kimbers aint what they used to be - and they are BAD about rusting.
If I didn't' carry a G36 it would be an air weight J-frame smith.
supercobra

Re: Anyone carrying a Glock 36

Post by supercobra »

the glock 36 was my second glock from the 21 and i also own the 27,now i can only carry the 27 for a day without switching back t0 the 36.the recoil is no worse than the 27 if not lighter and i shoot talons or federals and the talon plus p.i recently had some slide work done by my machine shop,similiar to what glockworx does and i can feel its lighter in slide reset and overall acquiring targets.cant go wrong with a 36.forgot to mention i also carry all day long with a 2lb. trigger pull!
There once was a man that sat on a log.The less he spoke the more he heard.The more he heard the less he spoke,wouldn't you like to be that wise old bird?
US Ranger

Post by US Ranger »

My daughter carries a G36 on her CCW. She's 5'5", 130..she shoots it like a house a fire. Out shoots most of the boys and men with their M1911's and other various pistols. The recoil doesnt bother her. She usually carries it in a purse made for CCW. I enjoyed shooting it and got 1 for myself. I carry mine in a Mitch Rosen with shirt unticked or Blade Tech UCH with shirt tucked in.

The only thing I dont like is its 1 of the few Glock models that Advantage Arms doesnt make a .22lr conversion kit for.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand upon. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I would say my G36 has much more harsh recoil than my G32 in 357. But I will give it another try.