300 Whisper Stopping Power At Close Range?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

300 Whisper Stopping Power At Close Range?

Post by stevejobs »

At, say, ten yards would this round hit about as hard as a .45? It's a 220 grain bullet going about the same speed, but it is only .30 in diameter. But because it is a long bullet I think it might tumble when entering flesh. What do you think?
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

I've heard that was the original intent and why it should use a 1/8 twist barrel. The bullet will stabilze but will still tumble on impact. IIRC with a 1/7 it is too stable to tumble.
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
MntnMnWV

Post by MntnMnWV »

Having used the fireball on a number of game (10.5", 1:8 barrel):

On groundhog size critter with either 208 Amax or 220 SMK, I typically get caliber sized entrance holes and see the bullet destabilize in about 3 inches, leaving a pretty substantial exit wound.

On deer w/ 220 SMK a few things I've noticed: This load has no problem punching through both shoulder blades out to 150yds. Cracking the on shoulder and pretty much removing all structural integrity as it passes through the off shoulder sideways. On quartering shots, approximately 18" from entrance to exit, I'm seeing approximately three complete revolutions of the bullet. Note that the bullet seems to be spinning on all three axis as it passes through tissue. Deer usually jump at the shot and expire in under five seconds with vital, non nervous system, shots. They are dead on their feet and require a few seconds to bleed out internally.

With all of that said, If I knew I was going to have to use the Fireball for close range personal defense, I would use a 125gr SP or Ballistic Tip @ 2100FPS or a 110gr Barnes @ 2300fps. Both loads do very nasty things in tissue under 50 yds.
alleycat72
Silent But Deadly

Post by alleycat72 »

It doesn't tumble as much as it turns sideways and travels through flesh that way. It looks like you ran something through with a sword. They don't always turn.
robpiat
Silent But Deadly

Post by robpiat »

Does a 208 Amax expand at all? Anybody try it with a water jug?
MntnMnWV

Post by MntnMnWV »

robpiat wrote:Does a 208 Amax expand at all? Anybody try it with a water jug?
I've had the 208 AMax expand in wet soil/clay backstops @ 200+ yards. However, it was inconsistant at best. Sometimes producing a picture perfect mushroom, other times coming apart, and still others showing no expantion at all. Not sure what the results would be in a controlled test medium.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I am wondering how the Sierra 110 Varminter would compare to the Barnes 110 TSX for a 1900 fps impact.
silentbushmaster
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 Whisper Stopping Power At Close Range?

Post by silentbushmaster »

stevejobs wrote:At, say, ten yards would this round hit about as hard as a .45? It's a 220 grain bullet going about the same speed, but it is only .30 in diameter. But because it is a long bullet I think it might tumble when entering flesh. What do you think?
Depends on what you are shooting. Small thin skin animals, probably not. A deer sized animal is quetionable, It mostly depends on what the 30 cal bullet hits and how it tumbles. The 45 has the advantage of energy tranfer on a regular basis regardless of what it hits using a premium bullet design. I could see the 30 cal doing more damage on say a deer quartering away shot, giving it ample time to penetrate and tumble and brake bone and do what it does best. With speed being about the same in both. Close in on say a defensive situation on a person, I would take the 45 with premium bullets. The Whisper would be a better choice for a longer shot with less noise for the most part. Just a thought.
"10TH Mountain Division, Climb to Glory"
silentbushmaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by silentbushmaster »

rsilvers wrote:I am wondering how the Sierra 110 Varminter would compare to the Barnes 110 TSX for a 1900 fps impact.
Have shot both, the Sierra is much better as it has a more fragile design.
"10TH Mountain Division, Climb to Glory"
pdemos
Elite Member

Post by pdemos »

rsilvers wrote:I am wondering how the Sierra 110 Varminter would compare to the Barnes 110 TSX for a 1900 fps impact.
The Barns do just what they say they will do, 95% retaining there weight. Have not used the Sierra 110 Varminter but it sounds like they will fragment on impact. Have shot a elk at point blank range(50 yards) with a 150 grain barns at about 3800fps with a 30-378 in the head and had the bullet go completely though and not blow up the head or the horns on impact. I was really surprise at what I saw.