does it have to have a tube?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

cncswiss1

does it have to have a tube?

Post by cncswiss1 »

and, given that CNC machining wasn't a problem, what exotic shapes should these segments be, given that screw together segments is legal/technically viable.

.22 cal / .25 ID/1"OD OAL=optional
threads together with conical surface for location and sealing.

machining is not a problem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxyF0vM_8Xw but smaller segments make it easier for me.
widlin1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by widlin1 »

Live tooling is too cool for words.

No coolant contamination allowd for implants?

Jeff
cncswiss1

Post by cncswiss1 »

implant grade PEEK plastic is cut with Air (no contamination) Ti/SS/CoCr can use cutting oil.

it's fun to cut, snow globe effect.
cncswiss1

Post by cncswiss1 »

no takers on the needing a tube thing?.... I may make a tube just to make marking simpler.
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

i would think you might as well call the nazis over in wv or md or wherever they are. and the tube prob adds strength no? now you have 10 failure points instead of just teh original 2? i dunno i am just wingin it.

very cool concept tho, wish you luck
its quiet time!
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

This modular design is nothing new, and from a technical point of view it certainly has it's merits. But if you're in the US there might be legal issues with it.
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Post by tmix »

It's also heavy, very heavy.
[size=150]Machine gun snob by proxy. [/size]
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]
cncswiss1

Post by cncswiss1 »

I figured it'd been done before, at least a chance.. and it does look heavy... so machining thinner inserts with a tube is the way to go.. back to inventor..
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

The weight is a matter of proper design, except for the threaded joints there is nothing that should add any significant mass to the design.

Here in Scandinavia the modular design has become quite popular, and not without reason. While the threads might seize up if not lubed and cleaned you don't have to struggle with a whole baffle stack locket solid in a tube due to solid buildup. Changing worn modules can be done in seconds, the same goes for adding modules to increase performance or removing some to make it more compact.

I have a A-TEC TMM5 for my 30-06, telescopic with 5 front modules that I am extremely happy with, and I don't see how a tubed design would be any better.
cncswiss1

Post by cncswiss1 »

so just add some mail holes, reduce mass where possible and roll with it? (aside from finding out if it will work on a legal basis in the US)
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

Since you have access to a plenty-axis CNC I'd look at a more efficient baffle-design, something like this shouldn't be too hard:

Defens

Post by Defens »

The YouTube video was amazing - building something like that on a manual mill would take me 6 months!

More to your question, though I'm very very new to this. If BATFE considers that even some mounting devices as suppressors, I wonder if they would consider each modular baffle as a separate device, since each one of them could in fact be screwed onto a mount and would attenuate sound to some degree. Without a tube to hold them all together, it's hard to say if it would be legal or not. As pointed out above, the best way to confirm would be to contact the batboys directly.
Ssssh!