TEK converted 10/22, Shady deal???

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

ghostb14

TEK converted 10/22, Shady deal???

Post by ghostb14 »

So I got offered a TEK Coverted 10/22, but not knowing much about these kits or buying NFA stuff I have some questions. First: The Guy says its fully transferrable. Is that possible with a TEK kit, and if so how do I make sure its legal and transferable? Next question: I dont know much about these kits, are they reliable and durable? What are the problem areas if any. If I did get this gun it wouldnt get shot much, but I wouldnt get one if it doesnt work at all. Is a TEK kitted 10/22 worth the hassle and tax stamp?
chrisva
Silent But Deadly

Post by chrisva »

Isn't the TEK conversion just a way to convert a firearm? It would be transferable if it was made before may 86, or if your a dealer after that time.
corey
Senior Silent Operator

Post by corey »

The guy selling it should have a form for it. That form will tell you if it is fully transferrable or not.
TonyT
Silent But Deadly

Post by TonyT »

TEK did some trsnsferrable conversions before the 86 ban. They are registered recievers if I remember correctly.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Tek conversions

Post by David Hineline »

Since they were registered receivers most people just spent the money and had John Norell install his parts kits to make em work right.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
1928A1
Silent But Deadly

Re: TEK converted 10/22, Shady deal???

Post by 1928A1 »

ghostb14 wrote:So I got offered a TEK Coverted 10/22, but not knowing much about these kits or buying NFA stuff I have some questions. First: The Guy says its fully transferrable. Is that possible with a TEK kit, and if so how do I make sure its legal and transferable? Next question: I dont know much about these kits, are they reliable and durable? What are the problem areas if any. If I did get this gun it wouldnt get shot much, but I wouldnt get one if it doesnt work at all. Is a TEK kitted 10/22 worth the hassle and tax stamp?
Norrell thinks he has converted them all over to his system by now. Ask Norrell if he has converted the SN before buying it.
07FFL 02 SOT
brianb
Silent But Deadly

Post by brianb »

chrisva wrote:Isn't the TEK conversion just a way to convert a firearm? It would be transferable if it was made before may 86, or if your a dealer after that time.
specifically...
It would be transferable if it was made before may 86
If you're talking about a registered "kit".

Otherwise, not quite. The conversion part(s) would've had to have been registered as a MG (or registerd sear) before '86. If post '86, it could be a dealer sample providing a LE letter asked for it to be demo'd - Not an SOT myself, but I believe that's how it goes. Or did I misread what you were asking?
ghostb14

Post by ghostb14 »

Thanks for the responses guys. You have pretty much answered my questions about how to find out how legal it is. What about the reliability of the system. Is it a waste of money?? I am going to get in touch with the guy and go about figuring out how legal it is with the info you guys gave me. If its not a junk system I may pick it up. Thanks again.
BTW, anywhere on the web to do some research about this conversion, I cant really find much if anything.
macgyver6868
Silent Operator

Post by macgyver6868 »

from what i have heard,it reliable to a point.after a while,the bolt will lock in the foreward position.you will then have a pos.you can work on it and replace the parts,but it'll only happen again.i've heard the receivers were registered,so you can replace th parts as oftn as you please.i've tlked to john norrel,and when he runs out of registered trigger packs in a few years,he will be making post-samples.it can be bought as a "replacement" pack for the tek conversion even though its a post sample.if you put it in another 10/22 other than the registered on,you are SOL.