How the F do I clean my 22Sparrow?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

goteron
Silent But Deadly

How the F do I clean my 22Sparrow?

Post by goteron »

I have tried a few seperate methods. Each time I make the lead all shiny, and put it back together as I shoot it almost daily. I am getting ready to buy a blast cabinet if I can't figure something else out here... Any ideas?
Plunky
Silent But Deadly

Post by Plunky »

Fine glass beads, around 40PSI (no more) in a blast cabinet and it will come clean.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Quality dental picks?

Cold chisel?
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

It looks like the blast cabinet is the way to go. I found a benchtop model for $140. A little molded plastic model. Do I need all the extras? Dust collector?

Here it is:

http://www.equipmentland.com/products/c ... 1000.shtml

will this get the job done or do I need something larger?

How long can I reuse the lass beads?

Anything else I need? Any precuations other than a good respirator?
Derf
Silent But Deadly

Post by Derf »

I have had great succes cleaning the "clam shells" with a 3/4" wooden dowl rod. I have only scrubbed the core once so far with a bronze brush, some CLP and some elbow grease.
I have a bench top blast cabinet, just havent felt like buying new media until i really need to clean it.
I also put a very light coat of CLP on everything, seem to help keep the build up to a min or atleast makes it come off easier.
Got that tip from another member here.
Solothurn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Solothurn »

I've been chipping off the thick stuff with an exacto blade and scrubbing with a scotch brite pad and Remington bore cleaner.
ASP2001
Silent But Deadly

Post by ASP2001 »

You have to be careful not to damage the anodizing on the internals but I agree, it's not the easiest to clean!
It is frustrating to clean the baffle stack but at least you can get all that crap out of there instead of being stuck with a sealed can.
I picked up a few different solvents to try next time I clean mine. So far, a bronze brush and a wooden dowel/scraper work well with a lot of lead solvent.

Pulling a Sparrow apart after an outing will scare you into not using a sealed design for fear of actually filling it up.
a22silensir
Silent Operator

Post by a22silensir »

One guy, magyver from Utah? did the 50/50 dip of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar for a few hours with no consequences, I recall. Guess it did the trick like one would do to their Spectre. I havent tried it yet.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

I think I'm going to just get a cheap blast cabinet and try that. I hve two more take apart cans inbound, so I should get my use out of it. Thanks
clickBOOM

Post by clickBOOM »

Historian
Silent But Deadly

Thanks, Clicksboom for Soda Blaster

Post by Historian »

Thanks for directing me to this idea. Brilliantly simple yet effective. Never would have thought of it. Great site to boot.

Could have used this when I used to work on my 64 Buick Wildcat 4bbl Rochester carb, etc.
TypeR632
Silent But Deadly

Post by TypeR632 »

You can buy a cheap shop vac for the dust collector. I know in mine you need a dust collector to see what your doing.
SWR Spectre
SWR TRIDENT
AAC 762SD
AAC TITAN