I present to you .....

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

I present to you .....

Post by WhisperFan »

Well, I finally finished my .223 AR suppressor build and test. I wanted it test it to make sure it didnt' suck, before I presented it to the world.

I put it on my SBR and it sounds great.

I brought it over to my local 07/SOT and he has a YHM QD, we shot them side by side and there is no difference that I can tell between the two.

This is an all stainless Form 1 can. It is 1.5 OD with a .065 wall. All the internals are 303, and the tube and endcaps are 304 stainless.

I went with an unusual design, but it seems to work. About 1/3 of the 8" OAL is a blast chamber. I decided to make my blast baffle be the front edge of a K-baffle. The a 30 dregee cone baffle, followed by three 45 degree cone baffles.

So - here it is.

Last edited by WhisperFan on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

With my Glock 17 and DeGroat Mk99 Mod 0
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

I decided to make a golf ball launcher too !!! A lot of fun
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

widlin1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by widlin1 »

That is nice looking. Is it common to mix baffle types like that? did you do it just to keep the length down or some other reason?

Thanks

Jeff
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

I just acquired a golf ball launcher as well. What kind of distance/height do you get with that? Ever measure distance in air to calculate how high it goes? I have yet to use the launcher.

I have plenty of blanks mind you.
-----
Ick
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

That looks good

I just got one of the NcStar launchers, and it shoots the s--t out of golf balls.

Are you planning on putting some sort of finish on the can? like gun kote or powder coat?
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

I assume this is how you would measure how high it goes.... please correct me if I am wrong.

Is this how you calculate it?

Distance= ½gt²

g = Force due to gravity(9.8 meters per second squared)
t = time

We can measure how long it takes from the gunshot to the ball hitting the ground. Cut this measurement in half our purposes, that is not the best but it works. Make sure you have this in seconds.

Plug that time into the equation for t. Solve the equation. That is how far it fell.... or in other words, how high it was.

This equation does not take into account air resistance especially for a super-velocity object like a golf ball launched by a gunshot. It will not give you an exact value, but it will be fairly close.

If someone can SEE the ball when it hits the top of the arc and measure the fall time from THAT point you will get a more accurate answer for the height of the falling object.

Oh, that equation gives you METERS, so you guys living under the english measurement system of the 1890s will need to convert meters to feet.

1 meter = 3.2808399 feet
-----
Ick
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

I popped off two golf balls with lake city surplus blanks. I dont know how high they went, but I held the rifle at about a 45 degree angle, maybe a little steeper, and I think they went about 300 yards

I don't know why I decided to mix the baffle type. I was going to go with a cone baffle design, and I decided to make the first one different. Cones and flat washers do a good job of blocking the forward movement of the gasses, but they pretty much do nothing to redirect the gas back on itself. I thought a total K-baffle design might get a little heavy, since a K is heavier than a cone. So I took a chance - as a Form 1 builder, that is what we have to do sometimes - I am quite satisfied with the results.
Last edited by WhisperFan on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

ick wrote:I assume this is how you would measure how high it goes.... please correct me if I am wrong.

Is this how you calculate it?

Distance= ½gt²

g = Force due to gravity(9.8 meters per second squared)
t = time

We can measure how long it takes from the gunshot to the ball hitting the ground. Cut this measurement in half our purposes, that is not the best but it works. Make sure you have this in seconds.

Plug that time into the equation for t. Solve the equation. That is how far it fell.... or in other words, how high it was.

This equation does not take into account air resistance especially for a super-velocity object like a golf ball launched by a gunshot. It will not give you an exact value, but it will be fairly close.

If someone can SEE the ball when it hits the top of the arc and measure the fall time from THAT point you will get a more accurate answer for the height of the falling object.
If you have a chrono, and measure "muzzle" velocity of the golf ball, then you could use the equation:

.5 * [Velocity*sin(angle of trajectory)] ^2 = g * Height

g= 9.81m/s^2 or 32.2 ft/s^2

this is simple enough to estimate height, as friction (air resistance) is extremely difficult to account for, since there is no linear relationship to air resistance and velocity and cross sectional area.
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Looks great!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

What is the large black 'disk' between the back of the can and the muzzle? Is the can a reflex design?
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
Dan
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dan »

Wicked wrote:What is the large black 'disk' between the back of the can and the muzzle? Is the can a reflex design?
looks like a qd system to me
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

The black disc is the rear of the flash hider is part of the locking mechanism in the QD mount. I made this to fit a YHM QD phantom mount.
(actually I decided to use the Wraith 9mm flash hider - it is shorter and looks better to my eye on the SBR)

I asked YHM, about their thread specs, but they did not disclose, so I had to reverse-engineer it.
Last edited by WhisperFan on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

Here's one w/o the supressor mounted on it.

Since that photo was taken, I moved the laser to the other side, moved the front sling mount to the front left side of the forearm and added a VTAC type 2-point tactical sling. I like it better than that quick sling that is shown)
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

awesome. clean up the welds and sand/ bead blast it.
silverbulletexpress
Silent But Deadly

Post by silverbulletexpress »

We don't get to see the insides? :(
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

silverbulletexpress wrote:We don't get to see the insides? :(
Sorry, I didn't think to photograph it before it was welded.

:oops:
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

delta9mda wrote:awesome. clean up the welds and sand/ bead blast it.
It's been sandblasted once already. I think I might just leave the welds the way they are. They really aren't bad. They obviously don't look like they were machine-welded, but they aren't too bad for hand welding. I don't have a Tig, so I had another guy weld it up for me (while I was there waiting on it to be done of course)

I am thinking I might leave it in raw stainless, rather than paint/bake it. But I'm not sure.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

WhisperFan wrote:The black disc is the rear of the flash hider is part of the locking mechanism in the QD mount. I made this to fit a YHM QD phantom mount.

I asked YHM, about their thread specs, but they did not disclose, so I had to reverse-engineer it.
OK, now I get it. Yours is the first F1 home-brew can I am able to recall that used a real QD mount.

Nice work.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
JohnnyO
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyO »

Wicked wrote:
WhisperFan wrote:The black disc is the rear of the flash hider is part of the locking mechanism in the QD mount. I made this to fit a YHM QD phantom mount.

OK, now I get it. Yours is the first F1 home-brew can I am able to recall that used a real QD mount.

Nice work.
No, I think that was mine.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

Why didn't you put the ratcheting indents all the way round?

I plan to put one every ten degrees, like the Phantom has.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

JohnnyO wrote:
Wicked wrote:

Nice work.
No, I think that was mine.
sick nice